How do you know the size/maximum area of a gravity field

In summary, the size or maximum area of a planet's gravity field cannot be known as there is no maximum and its effects can extend infinitely, but may become negligible as it decreases over distance. The reason for this weakening of gravitational force is due to the distortion of space-time caused by mass, which is explained by General Relativity. Similarly, the heat from a fire also weakens over distance due to the spreading out of energy.
Steven Hansel
The title said it, how do you know the size or maximum area of a planet's gravity field can cover. The reason i asked this question because from the gravity equation the r is the radius from Mplanet and Mobject. So, that doesn't explain how big is the gravity field. Is it when the gravity force become 0?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no maximum. The gravitational effects go forever. They may become negligible, since it decreases proportional to 1/r2, but it never completely disappears. As object A gets farther from one other object B and closer to a third object, C, the gravitational effect of C may become greater than that of B, but the effect of B is still there.

Likes Steven Hansel
Thanks for the answer, i still have one more question that i forgot to ask, why does gravitational force weakens as it get farther from a planet. I'm really confused. I also don't understand why when you get near fire it's hot and when you get away from it, you don't get any heat. thanks for answering!

For heat from a fire, the energy of a source gets spread out, so less of it hits another object of a fixed size as it gets farther away.
For gravity, the true answer is beyond my expertise on the subject. A mass distorts space-time in a certain way that is the subject of General Relativity.

Likes Steven Hansel
FactChecker said:
For heat from a fire, the energy of a source gets spread out, so less of it hits another object of a fixed size as it gets farther away.
For gravity, the true answer is beyond my expertise on the subject. A mass distorts space-time in a certain way that is the subject of General Relativity.
Okay, that really helped me to where i should find my answer, thanks for answering :)

1. How is the size of a gravity field determined?

The size of a gravity field is determined by the mass and density of the object creating the field. The larger the mass and density, the larger the size of the field.

2. What is the maximum area that a gravity field can cover?

The maximum area that a gravity field can cover is infinite. However, the strength of the field decreases as you move further away from the object creating the field.

3. Can the size of a gravity field change?

Yes, the size of a gravity field can change if the mass or density of the object creating the field changes. For example, if a planet gains or loses mass, the size of its gravity field will also change.

4. Is the size of a gravity field the same as its strength?

No, the size of a gravity field and its strength are not the same. The size refers to the area that the field covers, while the strength refers to the force of the field at a specific point.

5. How can we measure the size of a gravity field?

The size of a gravity field can be measured using various methods, including calculating the gravitational force at different distances from the object, observing the orbits of objects within the field, or using specialized equipment such as a gravimeter.