How do you set up a differential equation for draining a conical tank?

In summary: The constant of integration will be zero because the initial condition is that the tank is empty at t = 0. So,h(t) = (√h0 - (k/2)t)2
Maag
I am working on a paper at the moment which has to do with draining tanks. I have already set up a differential equation which explains the drain from a tank where the cross-sectional areas of the container and of the outflow are constants. But now I have to set up one which explains the drain from a conical tank where the cross-sectional area of the container varies. And that is my problem. I am finding it difficult to make this particular differential equation. I need it to be a dh/dt equation. I have got the following set up so far: (I got no clue if I am on the right track or not).

From Bernoullis equation I got:

(p1/Pg) + (v12/2g) + h1 = (p2/Pg) + (v22/2g) + h2, where P is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity and g is the gravitational constant, p is the pressure and h is the height. One must assume that the pressure is the same throughout the flow, therefore p1 = p2 = 0 and the parts of the equation containing p is removed:
(v12/2g) + h1 = (v22/2g) + h2

The velocity at the outflow (v2) can be defined as the change in height to the time dt:
v2= -(dh/dt)
Furthermore v2<< v1. Then v1 can be defined as follows:
v1 = (2g*(h2-h1))(1/2)

From the continuity equation we have that: v1A1 = v2A2. Which means that the velocity at cross-sectional area 1 is different from the velocity at cross-sectional area 2. It also means that the smaller the cross-sectional area is the fluid has a lower velocity and vice versa.
The cross-sectional area of a circle is: A = pi * r2 but then the radius has to be known. The radius of the circle can be defined as: r = h*tan(a), where a is the angle of the cone. This radius is valid for all heights h. Then by inserting in the continuity I get:

(2g*(h1-h2))(1/2) * pi * r2 = -(dh/dt) * pi * h2 * tan(a)2

What do I do now? I really need help with this.

Thanks in advance, Thure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The smaller the cross sectional area, the higher the velocity (not the other way around). Also, v1 = -dh/dt. Also, v2 = A1v1/A2.

What is your equation for the volume of fluid in the conical container at any arbitrary time t in terms of h and tan(a) ? If fluid is leaving the bottom of tank at a volumetric flow rate of v2A2, what is your equation for the rate of change of fluid volume in the tank with respect to time? Hint: do a mass balance.

If doing a mass balance I get that the amount of fluid draining from the container is equal to the amount of fluid running through the outflow, therefore:

dVoutflow = dVcontainer

Where:

dVcontainer = 1/3 * pi * h * (h*tan(a))

dVoutflow = v2*A2 <=> (A1*(-dh/dt)) / (pi*r2), where r is the radius of the outflow?

Maag said:
If doing a mass balance I get that the amount of fluid draining from the container is equal to the amount of fluid running through the outflow, therefore:

dVoutflow = dVcontainer

Where:

dVcontainer = 1/3 * pi * h * (h*tan(a))

This is not dV of liquid in the container. This is the total volume of liquid in the container:

Vliquid = 1/3 * pi * h * (h*tan(a))

Also:

v2 = -dh/dt
A2 = pi * h * (h*tan(a))

dVliquid/dt = (2/3) * pi * h * (dh/dt) * tan(a)

In your problem statement, A1 is not specified. So you just need to leave it arbitrary. Also, in your problem, h1 = 0, and h2 = h. So the outlet flow rate from the tank is equal to

F = A1 * v1 = A1(2g*h)(1/2)

So, the rate of change of liquid volume in the tank is equal to minus the outlet flow rate:

(2/3) * pi * h * (dh/dt) * tan(a) = - A1(2g*h)(1/2)

I have done sort of the same for a container where the cross-sectional area of the container is a constant. However, I ended up with the differential equation:

dh(t)/dt = -(A/B)*√(2g*h(t)), where A is the cross sectional area of the outflow and B is the cross sectional area of the container. Furthermore I reached the solution:

h(t) = (√(h0)-(k*t)/2)2, where k = (A/B)*√2g

So my question is, how can I end up with a result which is similar to that?

There was an error in my previous post. Here is the corrected version:

Vliquid = 1/3 * pi * h * (h*tan(a))2

Also:

v2 = -dh/dt
A2 = pi * (h*tan(a))2

dVliquid/dt = pi * h2 * (dh/dt) * tan2(a)

In your problem statement, A1 is not specified. So you just need to leave it arbitrary. Also, in your problem, h1 = 0, and h2 = h. So the outlet flow rate from the tank is equal to

F = A1 * v1 = A1(2g*h)(1/2)

So, the rate of change of liquid volume in the tank is equal to minus the outlet flow rate:

pi * h2 * (dh/dt) * tan2(a) = - A1(2g*h)(1/2)

This differential equation has the form:

h2 * (dh/dt) = -k √h

So, just integrate it.

1. How do I calculate the volume of a conical tank?

To calculate the volume of a conical tank, you will need to measure the radius of the base and the height of the tank. Then, use the formula V = (1/3) * π * r^2 * h, where V is the volume, r is the radius, and h is the height.

2. How do I drain a conical tank efficiently?

The most efficient way to drain a conical tank is to open the valve at the bottom of the tank and let gravity do the work. It is important to ensure that the valve is fully open and there are no obstructions in the drainage system.

3. How long does it take to drain a conical tank?

The time it takes to drain a conical tank depends on the size and shape of the tank, as well as the flow rate of the drainage system. To calculate the time, you can use the formula t = V/Q, where t is the time, V is the volume of the tank, and Q is the flow rate.

4. What is the best method for cleaning a conical tank?

The best method for cleaning a conical tank is to first drain all the contents, then use a high-pressure water hose to rinse out any remaining residue. You can also use a cleaning solution and scrub brushes for tougher build-up. It is important to thoroughly rinse and dry the tank before refilling it.

5. Can a conical tank be drained completely?

In theory, a conical tank can be drained completely. However, in practical situations, there may be some residual liquid or sediment left in the bottom of the tank. To minimize this, ensure that the tank is at a slight angle towards the drainage valve and use a low flow rate to drain the tank slowly.