How Do You Solve Complex Logarithmic Equations?

• Thread starter Elus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving logarithmic equations. For the first problem, there are two solutions, one of which can be found by substituting y=log(x) and using the fact that log(b^a) = a.log(b). The second solution can be found by factoring out x and solving for x=0 and x=1. For the second problem, the expression can be simplified using the log(a)+log(b)=log(ab) rule. It is important to note that "log" generally assumes base 10 and "ln" assumes base e in mathematics.
Elus

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

Solve log(x^3) = (log(x))^2 for x.

Note, there are two solutions, A and B, where A < B.

A = ?
B = ?

Problem 2:

Rewrite the expression 2log(x)-2log(x^2+1)+4log(x-1) as a single logarithm log A.

A = ?
2. The attempt at a solution

Problem 1 Attempt:

I might be able solve this graphically by plotting y1 = log(3^x) and y2 = (log(x))^2 and finding the points of intersection.

However, I'd like to do this by hand, if possible! Would I start by raising both sides to e?

e^log(x^3) = e^(logx)^2

then

x^3 = e^2

then

x = (e^2)^(1/3)
x = e^(2/3)
x = 1.947734

Wolfram-alpha says otherwise :( and there are supposed to be 2 solutions. I only got one D:

Problem 2 attempt:

Okay, I tried using properties of logarithms here.

2log(x)-2log(x^2+1)+4log(x-1)

2log(x) - 8*log(x^3 - x^2 + x - 1) <------- Since the 2 logs are added, you can

multiply the insides of the logs together, right?

16*log(x/(x^3-x^2+x-1)) <------------ Since the 2 logs are subtracted, you can

divide them, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) [tex]e^{log(x)^2}\neq e^2[/tex]
and there's a simpler way to solve this problem anyway, if you let y=log(x) then substituting this into the equation [tex]log(x^3)=(log(x))^2[/tex] will give?

For 2)
Elus said:
Okay, I tried using properties of logarithms here.

2log(x) - 8*log(x^3 - x^2 + x - 1) <------- Since the 2 logs are added, you can

multiply the insides of the logs together, right?
Well this is like saying [tex]a.log(b)+c.log(d)=ac.log(bc)[/tex] this isn't right. If you have a.log(b) then this is equivalent to log(b^a).
Elus said:
16*log(x/(x^3-x^2+x-1)) <------------ Since the 2 logs are subtracted, you can

divide them, right?
Again, not right because you have made the same mistake as before.

Mentallic said:
For 1) [tex]e^{log(x)^2}\neq e^2[/tex]
and there's a simpler way to solve this problem anyway, if you let y=log(x) then substituting this into the equation [tex]log(x^3)=(log(x))^2[/tex] will give?

For 2)

Well this is like saying [tex]a.log(b)+c.log(d)=ac.log(bc)[/tex] this isn't right. If you have a.log(b) then this is equivalent to log(b^a).

Again, not right because you have made the same mistake as before.

For problem 1:

log(x^3) = (log(x))^2
log(x^3) = y^2 <---Substitute y=log(x) on right side
3*log(x) = y^2 <----- You said log(b^a) = a.log(b), so that's what I applied.
3*y = y^2 <----- substitute y=log(x) on left side
3 = y <----divide both sides by y
3 = log(x) <-----substitute back log(x) for y
x = e^3 <---------raise both sides by e
x = 20.085536

Great, that's one answer, but it said that there is are two answers (A and B). Where do I get the other answer from?

For problem 2:

Okay, so I need to bring the 2, 2, and 4 into the log function?

log(x^2)-log((x^2+1)^2)+(log(x-1)^4)

Before I spend a time solving the ugly problem above, can someone let me know if this going in the right direction?

Elus said:
For problem 1:

log(x^3) = (log(x))^2
x = 20.085536

Great, that's one answer, but it said that there is are two answers (A and B). Where do I get the other answer from?
Yes I'm glad you were able to apply all the formulae correctly :smile:
Remember back when you were learning quadratics that when you have something like [tex]x^2-x=0[/tex] rather than dividing through by x you factored out x to get [tex]x(x-1)=0[/tex] which then gave you the two solutions x=0,1. When you divide through by x you lose the solution x=0 because it is assuming x does not equal 0 (since you can't divide by 0). Do the same for this problem.

Elus said:
For problem 2:

Okay, so I need to bring the 2, 2, and 4 into the log function?

log(x^2)-log((x^2+1)^2)+(log(x-1)^4)

Before I spend a time solving the ugly problem above, can someone let me know if this going in the right direction?
Yes that's exactly right. And you don't need to expand, leaving it in factored form is enough when applying the log(a)+log(b)=log(ab) rule.

Elus said:
For problem 1:

log(x^3) = (log(x))^2
x = 20.085536

Be careful. "log" generally assumes [itex]log_{10}[/tex] whereas "ln" assumes [itex]log_e[/tex]

Last edited:
zgozvrm said:
Be careful. "log" general assumes [itex]log_{10}[/tex] whereas "ln" assumes [itex]log_e[/tex]

In maths, the syllabus usually gives the student a chance to work with all types of log bases when starting off, but once they have a firm grip of this they imply all expressions of log are of the base e, unless specifically stated.

Mentallic said:
In maths, the syllabus usually gives the student a chance to work with all types of log bases when starting off, but once they have a firm grip of this they imply all expressions of log are of the base e, unless specifically stated.

That's why I said "generally!"

Still, I'm betting that the question, as posed, is referring to [itex]log_{10}[/tex] rather than [itex]log_e[/tex] for 3 reasons:
1) the expressions used "log" rather than "ln"
2) scientific calculators have "log" buttons that work with [itex]log_{10}[/tex] and "ln" buttons the work with [itex]log_e[/tex]
3) in this case, using [itex]log_{10}[/tex] results in nice, tidy integer answers

Of course, you can use any base you want and come up with answers that work. But, I'm betting that the point of the problem had more to do with rearranging the equation to solve for X than than anything else.

Yes I noticed you said generally but that's what I'm arguing. In the world outside theoretical maths, it is generally log10 but in the maths classroom you will find that log is considered loge unless otherwise stated.

I myself got so used to this after doing tons of log questions in class that when logs were introduced into a formula in physics I of course made the mistake of using loge rather than log10.

Mentallic said:
Yes I noticed you said generally but that's what I'm arguing. In the world outside theoretical maths, it is generally log10 but in the maths classroom you will find that log is considered loge unless otherwise stated.

I myself got so used to this after doing tons of log questions in class that when logs were introduced into a formula in physics I of course made the mistake of using loge rather than log10.

Apparently, we're arguing the same thing. I simply told the OP to "be careful" because "log" can be interpreted different ways. I don't know what kind of class he is in, or what level (or what country, for that matter), and therefore, I wouldn't assume one base or the other without more information.

Mentallic said:

In high school, however, my experience is that "log" by itself is assumed to be the common logarithm, ie. base 10. "Ln" is used for base e. This is what I've also seen in some Precalculus textbooks. This is high school in the US.

eumyang said:
In high school, however, my experience is that "log" by itself is assumed to be the common logarithm, ie. base 10. "Ln" is used for base e. This is what I've also seen in some Precalculus textbooks. This is high school in the US.

... which is why I pointed this out to the OP

(Thank you, eumyang!)

eumyang said:

I guess this shows how high schools work in different parts of the world. Thanks eumyang.

(That's why I said "generally!")

You actually said general, but that's beside the point.

Tikoonmunci said:
but that's beside the point.

Well yeah it is, so why did you bring it up :-p

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Logarithmic Equations?

1. What is the purpose of evaluating log equations?

The purpose of evaluating log equations is to find the value of the logarithm, which is the exponent that a base number needs to be raised to in order to get the given value. This is useful in solving exponential equations and understanding the relationship between the base and exponent.

2. How do I evaluate a log equation?

To evaluate a log equation, you can use the logarithm rules to simplify the equation and then use a calculator to find the numerical value. The logarithm rules include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule, which can be used to rewrite the equation in a simpler form.

3. What is the difference between natural log and common log?

The natural log, denoted as ln, is a logarithm with base e (approximately 2.718). The common log, denoted as log, is a logarithm with base 10. The primary difference between the two is the base number used in the calculation, which can result in different numerical values for the same equation.

4. Can a log equation have a negative value?

No, a log equation cannot have a negative value. The logarithm of a negative number is undefined. However, the argument (the number inside the parentheses) of a log equation can be negative if it is the result of a multiplication or division involving negative numbers.

5. How can evaluating log equations be applied in real life?

Evaluating log equations has many real-life applications, such as in finance, biology, and computer science. In finance, it can be used to calculate compound interest and investment growth. In biology, it can be used to measure the intensity of sound and earthquakes. In computer science, it is used in algorithms and data compression. It is also used in various scientific fields to model and analyze data.