How Do You Solve These Complex Circuit Problems?

• Thread starter clairez93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, you need help with 9, 10, and 11 in this picture. You find that 9 and 10 are the same, but 11 is different. You use Kirchhoff's rules to solve for I1, I2, and I3, and find that I1 = I2 + I3 = 1. This tells you that E = 24.
clairez93

Homework Statement

See image attached. Please ignore all work you see around the problem. :]
I need help with 9, 10, and 11 in this picture.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

9. [tex]R_{eq} = R + (\frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R})^{-1} = 2R = 24[/tex]
[tex]V' = (0.5)(\frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R})^{-1} = 6 V[/tex] (this is the voltage drop across the parallel set of resistors of 2R and 2R)
[tex]I_{2} = I_{3} = \frac{6}{2R} = 0.25[/tex] (this is the current across each of the parallel branches, and they are only equal because they have the same resistance and voltage]
[tex]I_{1} = I_{2} + I_{3} = .25 + .25 = .5[/tex]
[tex]V_{i} = I_{1}R = (.5)(12) = 6[/tex]
[tex]E = V' + V_{i} = 6+6 = 12[/tex]

Correct answer is actually 24 V.

10. [tex]R_{eq} = (\frac{1}{250} + \frac{1}{300})^{-1} = 136.364[/tex]
[tex]V = IR_{eq}[/tex]
[tex]24 = I(136.364)[/tex]
[tex]I = 0.176[/tex]
[tex]V' = (0.176)(136.364) = 24[/tex] (this part is weird, is it because the whole circuit's in parallel anyway so there's really no voltage drop across anything?)
[tex]I = \frac{V}{R} = \frac{24}{300} = 0.08 A[/tex]

Correct answer is actually 40 mA.

11. Taking both the loops clockwise:
[tex]0 = -10I_{1} -20I_{2} - 5I_{1} + 50[/tex]
[tex]0 = 20I_{2} - 10I_{3} - 40[/tex]

Stuck from here.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1060466.jpg
    P1060466.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi clairez93! :smile:
clairez93 said:
[tex]I_{2} = I_{3} = \frac{6}{2R} = 0.25[/tex] (this is the current across each of the parallel branches, and they are only equal because they have the same resistance and voltage]
[tex]I_{1} = I_{2} + I_{3} = .25 + .25 = .5[/tex]

Yes, I2 = I3 = I1/2,

but where does 6/2R come from? :confused:

Use I = I3 = I1/2 and apply Kirchhoff's rules to the outer circuit. :wink:

I used I = V/R, and the voltage across it I thought was 6, and then the resistance is 2R, so I = 6/2R. Is that not correct?

clairez93 said:
… the voltage across it I thought was 6 …

why? :confused:

clairez93 said:
[tex]V' = (0.5)(\frac{1}{2R} + \frac{1}{2R})^{-1} = 6 V[/tex] (this is the voltage drop across the parallel set of resistors of 2R and 2R)

From this.

clairez93 said:
(this is the voltage drop across the parallel set of resistors of 2R and 2R)
From this.

ah! but 0.5 only the current through one of the 2Rs :redface:

Aha! I see! so then the voltage drop across is really 12 V.
And therefore I2 = 12 / 2R = 0.5 = I3
And therefore I1 = I2 + I3 = 1
And therefore the voltage across R is IR = 1*12 = 12.
And therefore E = 24!
Thanks!

Now i am still having troubles with 10 & 11.

clairez93 said:
Now i am still having troubles with 10 & 11.

10: I make the same as you … but much moire quickly, just by looking at the right-hand loop :confused:

11: use I1 = I2 + I3 :wink:

Are my loop equations correct? I just want to make sure before I solve.

Okay, so my loop equations are wrong, I believe because I am getting odd numbers.

clairez93 said:
Okay, so my loop equations are wrong, I believe because I am getting odd numbers.

Show us? :smile:

Related to How Do You Solve These Complex Circuit Problems?

1. How do I solve circuit problems for my homework?

In order to solve circuit problems for your homework, you will need to follow certain steps. Firstly, you need to understand the basic principles of circuit analysis and have a good grasp of Ohm's Law. Then, you can use various methods such as Kirchhoff's laws, Thevenin's theorem, and Norton's theorem to solve the circuit. It is also important to draw accurate circuit diagrams and use proper units for your calculations.

2. What are the common mistakes made when solving circuit problems?

One of the most common mistakes made when solving circuit problems is not following the correct steps and equations. Another mistake is not double-checking your calculations and not paying attention to units. It is also important to check for errors in your circuit diagram and make sure it accurately represents the given problem.

3. How can I check if my circuit problem solution is correct?

The best way to check if your circuit problem solution is correct is by using the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total voltage input should equal the total voltage output. You can also compare your solution with others or use simulation software to verify your results.

4. Can I use calculators to solve circuit problems?

Yes, calculators can be used to solve circuit problems. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is capable of handling complex equations and has the correct units for calculations. It is also recommended to double-check your answers manually to avoid any errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of circuit analysis for homework problems?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of circuit analysis is by practicing regularly. You can also refer to textbooks, online tutorials, and attend lectures or workshops. It is also helpful to work on different types of circuit problems and challenge yourself with more complex ones to enhance your skills.