How does a buffer amp not remove all loading effect?

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of a lab where a buffer amp was set up with various load resistors on the output. The Vout values were consistent for the first three load resistors, but decreased for the smallest one. The question was raised about how this was possible, and it was explained that this is due to the difference between ideal and real-world components. The datasheet for the op amp used should be consulted for information on output impedance and maximum output current.
itzernie

Homework Statement

I recently completed a lab where I set up a buffer amp. Its input was a function generator set at 5Vp amplitude and we placed various load resistors on the output to test Vout on an oscilloscope ( 75kΩ, 3300Ω, 510Ω and 68Ω.) From my data I noticed that the Vout was the same for the first 3 (which makes sense since the buffer amp overcomes the loading effect), but for the 68Ω the Vout value decreased.

Since Vout on a buffer = Vin, how is this possible ? Or does the buffer amp only decrease the loading effect of a practical source? Not remove it.

Homework Equations

Vout = Vin

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a smaller load resistor would increase the current coming out of the Op Amp, but I am not sure how that could effec the output voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
itzernie said:
I know that a smaller load resistor would increase the current coming out of the Op Amp, but I am not sure how that could effec the output voltage.
This is the difference between ideal components and real-world ones. We know that the ideal op amp has an output impedance of zero Ohms. But how about real components that you can actually buy?

It can be informative to consult the datasheet for the op amp that you're using and look for the output impedance spec. If it's listed in a table it's usually called Zo, but sometimes they'll only supply an output impedance vs frequency plot (generally towards the end of the datasheet).

Also check for the maximum output current. See if your expected output voltage swings are going to want to drive the load with anything approaching the maximum current.

Likes CWatters

1. How does a buffer amp work?

A buffer amp, also known as a unity gain amplifier, is a circuit that is designed to have a voltage gain of one. It takes in a signal and outputs an identical signal, providing no amplification or attenuation. This allows it to isolate a circuit from the rest of the system, preventing any changes in load impedance from affecting the signal.

2. What is the purpose of a buffer amp?

The main purpose of a buffer amp is to prevent the loading effect, which is the change in output voltage due to the impedance of the load. By isolating the circuit, the buffer amp ensures that the load impedance does not affect the voltage signal, maintaining the accuracy of the output.

3. How does a buffer amp avoid removing all loading effect?

A buffer amp avoids removing all loading effect by having a very high input impedance and a very low output impedance. This means that it draws minimal current from the signal source, and can provide a constant output voltage regardless of the load impedance. This allows it to avoid removing all loading effect while still isolating the circuit.

4. Can a buffer amp completely eliminate loading effect?

No, a buffer amp cannot completely eliminate loading effect. While it can greatly reduce the impact of load impedance on the output voltage, there will always be some effect due to the physical properties of the circuit components. However, a well-designed buffer amp can minimize this effect to a negligible level.

5. What are the applications of a buffer amp?

Buffer amps are commonly used in audio systems, where they are placed between high-impedance sources, such as microphones, and low-impedance loads, such as speakers. They are also used in instrumentation and measurement systems to isolate sensitive circuits from external interference. Additionally, buffer amps are used in signal processing and amplification circuits to maintain signal integrity.