How Does a Cantilever Beam Impact Structural Calculations?

In summary, the person is confused about a question involving a Cantilever beam. They are unsure if the beam affects the reactions at each support and how it will make a difference in the problem. Another person explains that the Cantilever beam does not change anything and should be treated as an unknown force. They also give a hint for part B of the question. The person attempts to find the reactions at each support but misses an applied load and two forces. They try again and their second attempt is correct.
xperty
1. Homework Statement

2l8gjmr.png

Homework Equations

I am totally confused about this question because of the Cantilever beam. I am usally ok with these questions but the addition of the Cantilever beam has thrown me off.

The Attempt at a Solution

Only been attemped without Cantilever beam.

Physics news on Phys.org
For which part are you confused? Go about it like you would for a simply supported beam. It doesn't matter that the roller support isn't on the end.

I am confused to whether the Cantilever beam effects the reactions at each support and where it will make a difference in this question.

The fact that it's a cantilever doesn't affect anything, really. It just means that the support isn't on the end. You still go about your static equilibrium equations the same way and work from there. If it helps, just think of it as an unknown force. Were this a fixed support (with only one fixed support), then that would change things a little. But this problem works just like a regular, simply-supported beam.

Also, just a little hint for part B - you'll still have the shear force as 0 at both ends of the beam.

Ok thanks.

o6haa0.jpg

This is my attempt at finding the reactions at each support. I would appreciate it if you could tell me if i have went wrong.

xperty: You are doing fairly well, but you currently omitted one applied load in your summation(Fv). You also omitted two forces in your summation(Ma). Try again. Also, please do not post wide images directly to the forum page. Just post a text link to wide images.

xperty: Excellent work. Your answer in post 8 is correct.

Thank you :D

Related to How Does a Cantilever Beam Impact Structural Calculations?

What is structural engineering?

Structural engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of structures such as buildings, bridges, and tunnels. It involves using mathematical and scientific principles to ensure that structures are safe, functional, and able to withstand the forces of nature.

What are the key responsibilities of a structural engineer?

The key responsibilities of a structural engineer include analyzing and designing structures, ensuring safety and compliance with building codes and regulations, collaborating with architects and other professionals, and overseeing the construction process to ensure structural integrity.

What skills and qualifications are needed to become a structural engineer?

To become a structural engineer, one typically needs a degree in civil or structural engineering, as well as a professional engineering license. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software are also important.

Can structural engineering prevent buildings from collapsing during natural disasters?

While no structure can be completely immune to natural disasters, structural engineering plays a crucial role in designing and constructing buildings that can withstand the forces of earthquakes, hurricanes, and other extreme events. By using materials and techniques that are appropriate for the specific location and conditions, structural engineers can help mitigate the risks of collapse.

What are the current trends in structural engineering?

Some current trends in structural engineering include the use of sustainable and environmentally friendly materials, the integration of technology and automation in the design and construction process, and the incorporation of resilient design principles to improve a structure's ability to withstand extreme events.