How Does a Perturbed Electric Dipole Exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a molecule with an electric dipole moment performing simple harmonic motion when perturbed from its equilibrium position in an electric field. The frequency of this motion is calculated in terms of p, E, and I. The resulting equation can be expressed in the form of a differential equation, and the period of the motion is determined.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A molecule with electric dipole moment ##\underline{p}## is initially aligned in an electric field ##\underline{E}## . If this molecule is perturbated from its equilbrium position by a small angle, show that it will perform simple harmonic motion.

Calculate the frequency of this motion in terms of p, E and I

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did first was write the angular EOM for the dipole: Consider it perturbed at some angle ##\theta##. This gives a torque due to the force by the electric field about the centre of the dipole. I could also consider the torque due to gravity, however, I took gravity to be acting through the centre of mass of the dipole and since I take the torques about the centre, I can ignore it. My final expression is $$I \alpha = -pE\sin \theta\,\Rightarrow\,I \alpha = -pE \theta,$$ if I take the dipole moment p = dq, sinθ ≈ θ for small θ and the -ve because the torque acts to lower θ.

Is it enough to say from here that since this is in the form ##\tau = -k \theta,## with ##k = pE##, then the motion is simple harmonic?

If so, I can say that $$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{k}}\,\Rightarrow\,f = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}}\,\Rightarrow\,f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}.$$ The dimensions check but have I made appropriate assumptions etc and is it okay to state we have the form ##\tau = -k\theta## so SHM applies?
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

A molecule with electric dipole moment ##\underline{p}## is initially aligned in an electric field ##\underline{E}## . If this molecule is perturbated from its equilbrium position by a small angle, show that it will perform simple harmonic motion.

Calculate the frequency of this motion in terms of p, E and I

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did first was write the angular EOM for the dipole: Consider it perturbed at some angle ##\theta##. This gives a torque due to the force by the electric field about the centre of the dipole. I could also consider the torque due to gravity, however, I took gravity to be acting through the centre of mass of the dipole and since I take the torques about the centre, I can ignore it. My final expression is $$I \alpha = -pE\sin \theta\,\Rightarrow\,I \alpha = -pE \theta,$$ if I take the dipole moment p = dq, sinθ ≈ θ for small θ and the -ve because the torque acts to lower θ.

Is it enough to say from here that since this is in the form ##\tau = -k \theta,## with ##k = pE##, then the motion is simple harmonic?

If so, I can say that $$T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{k}}\,\Rightarrow\,f = \frac{1}{2 \pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}}\,\Rightarrow\,f = \frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}.$$ The dimensions check but have I made appropriate assumptions etc and is it okay to state we have the form ##\tau = -k\theta## so SHM applies?
Many thanks
The equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ I \alpha = -pE \theta\,, \ [/itex] is enough to show Simple Harmonic Motion.

It's equivalent to the differential equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ I \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = -pE \theta\ .[/itex]

SammyS said:
The equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ I \alpha = -pE \theta\,, \ [/itex] is enough to show Simple Harmonic Motion.

It's equivalent to the differential equation, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ I \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = -pE \theta\ .[/itex]

Thanks SammyS.
I realized I could express my eqn in the form $$\ddot{\theta} + \frac{pE}{I} \theta = 0,$$ which obviously has sin and cos as solutions.

One further question I have is that when I solve this eqn I get $$\theta = A\cos \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\right)t + B\sin \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\right)t $$,

How do I know that ##\omega## (angular freq)is necessarily the argument of sin and cos? I seem to be taking it for granted.

CAF123 said:
Thanks SammyS.
I realized I could express my eqn in the form $$\ddot{\theta} + \frac{pE}{I} \theta = 0,$$ which obviously has sin and cos as solutions.

One further question I have is that when I solve this eqn I get $$\theta = A\cos \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\right)t + B\sin \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\right)t\ ,$$
How do I know that ##\omega## (angular freq)is necessarily the argument of sin and cos? I seem to be taking it for granted.
What is the period of [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\ t\right)\ ? [/itex]

SammyS said:
What is the period of [itex]\displaystyle \ \cos \left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\ t\right)\ ? [/itex]
It has period $$\frac{2\pi}{\left(\sqrt{\frac{pE}{I}}\right)}$$ I see how the result follows. Thanks again.

Related to How Does a Perturbed Electric Dipole Exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion?

1. What is a dipole in an electric field?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a distance. In an electric field, the dipole experiences a torque that aligns it with the direction of the field.

2. How does a dipole behave in an electric field?

A dipole in an electric field experiences a torque and a net force. The torque causes the dipole to rotate, while the net force causes the dipole to move in the direction of the field.

3. What is the formula for the torque on a dipole in an electric field?

The torque on a dipole in an electric field is given by the formula τ = p x E, where τ is the torque, p is the dipole moment, and E is the electric field.

4. How does the strength of the electric field affect a dipole?

The strength of the electric field affects the magnitude of the torque and force experienced by the dipole. A stronger electric field will result in a larger torque and force on the dipole.

5. What is the significance of a dipole in an electric field?

A dipole in an electric field is an important concept in physics and has many real-world applications. It helps explain the behavior of molecules in electric fields, the functioning of electric motors, and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.