How does adding resistance affect the frequency of a series RLC circuit?

In summary, if you want to decrease the frequency of a series RLC circuit by 1.25e-5 percent, you would need to add enough resistance to bring the Q down from 1000 to 995.
StandardBasis

Homework Statement

This is to look at the effect of damping on the frequency of a series RLC circuit. Let W=1/(sqrt(LC)) be the frequency of an undamped circuit. Suppose enough resistance is added to bring Q down from infinity to 1000. By what percentage is the frequency, ω, thereby shifted from W?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that ω=sqrt(W^2-(R/2L)^2). I can pull out the W, and say ω=W[1-(R/(2LW))^2]^(1/2). I think I can justify that fraction being small, because let's just assume that the R I added was small (Q is 1000, which is quite large, so that's a fair assumption). Then I'll use a binomial expansion to say that ω≈W[1-(R^2/(8*L^2*W^2)].

But now I'm stuck: I know that Q=ω*L/R=1000. So, W[1-(R^2/(8*L^2*W^2)]*L/R=1000, but who do I solve this as a percentage of ω?

Or have I made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using just the symbols ω and W, how would you express the percentage change of ω from W?

Then see if you can use your expression ω≈W[1-(R^2/(8*L^2*W^2)] to express this percentage change in terms of R, L, and W. You'll then need to relate this to Q.

The percentage change would be ω/W, yes?

Then, the percentage difference would really just be 1-(R^2/(8L^2W^2)... but R^2/(L^2*W^2) is actually just 1/Q^2?

And then I plug in 1000 for that Q?

StandardBasis said:
The percentage change would be ω/W, yes?

Note quite. The percent change in a quantity is the amount the quantity changes divided by the initial amount (and then expressed as a percent).

Whoops, my mistake! Its (Omega-W)/(Omega)?

I end up getting -1.25e-7, so it decreases by 1.25e-5 percent... very small!

That's what I get too. Yes, it is small. I guess a Q of 1000 is practically the same as a Q of infinity (unless you're dealing with very accurate measurements)!

Thank you very much!

Related to How does adding resistance affect the frequency of a series RLC circuit?

What is the Purcell 8.9-Q value?

The Purcell 8.9-Q value is a measure of the quality factor of a resonator, which is a device used to select and amplify signals at a specific frequency. It is named after physicist Edward Purcell who first described this concept.

How is the Purcell 8.9-Q value calculated?

The Purcell 8.9-Q value is calculated by taking the ratio of the resonator's stored energy to the energy it dissipates per cycle. This can also be expressed as the resonator's frequency divided by its bandwidth.

What is the significance of the Purcell 8.9-Q value in scientific research?

The Purcell 8.9-Q value is an important parameter in various fields of science, such as in quantum physics and radio frequency engineering. It can be used to characterize and optimize the performance of resonators, which are essential components in many devices and experiments.

What factors affect the Purcell 8.9-Q value?

The Purcell 8.9-Q value is influenced by several factors, including the materials used to construct the resonator, its dimensions and shape, and the surrounding environment. Additionally, the Q value can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and vibration.

How does the Purcell 8.9-Q value impact the sensitivity of a resonator?

The higher the Purcell 8.9-Q value, the more sensitive the resonator is to small changes in the input signal. This is because a higher Q value means that the resonator can store more energy and amplify the desired frequency more efficiently, making it more sensitive to changes in that frequency. Therefore, a higher Q value is desirable for applications that require high sensitivity, such as in quantum computing and precision measurement devices.