How Does Adiabatic Compression Affect Gas Pressure?

In summary, during an adiabatic process, the pressure and volume of an ideal gas are related by the equation P*V^γ = constant, where γ is the adiabatic index and depends on the specific heat and number of degrees of freedom of the gas. This means that as the volume of the gas decreases, the pressure increases. The equation W = -P*ΔV is not applicable in this scenario.
ghostbuster25
a sample of an idel monotomic gas is intially at a pressure 1.6*10^4Pa and undergoes an adiabatic compression which halves the volume. What is the final pressure?

ive been trying to find a way of useing the equation W=-P[tex]\Delta[/tex]V but am starting to think this is the wrong one as i can't see how i can use it.

any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the relation between pressure and volume of an ideal gas during an adiabatic process.

ehild

sorry i can't see it :(,

i can only see that p*V= a constant but not sure how to use that here!

am i way off track?

im still unclear on the relationship after reading that

The mathematical equation for an ideal fluid undergoing a reversible (i.e., no entropy generation) adiabatic process is

[tex] P V^{\gamma} = \operatorname{constant} \qquad [/tex]

where P is pressure, V is volume, and

[tex] \gamma = {C_{P} \over C_{V}} = \frac{\alpha + 1}{\alpha}[/tex],

CP being the specific heat for constant pressure, CV being the specific heat for constant volume, γ is the adiabatic index, and α is the number of degrees of freedom divided by 2 (3/2 for monatomic gas, 5/2 for diatomic gas).

ehild

Related to How Does Adiabatic Compression Affect Gas Pressure?

1. What is pressure from compression?

Pressure from compression is the force applied to an object as it is squeezed or pushed together. It is a type of stress that can cause the object to change shape or volume.

2. How is pressure from compression measured?

Pressure from compression is typically measured in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). It can be measured using tools such as a compression tester or a pressure gauge.

3. What are some examples of pressure from compression?

Examples of pressure from compression include someone stepping on a foam mat, a book being stacked on top of another book, or a person sitting on a chair. In all of these cases, the weight or force applied to the object causes it to compress.

4. How does pressure from compression affect different materials?

The effects of pressure from compression vary depending on the material. Some materials, such as rubber, can bounce back to their original shape after being compressed. Others, like clay, can be permanently deformed under pressure.

5. How can pressure from compression be used in practical applications?

Pressure from compression has many practical uses, such as in construction, where it is used to compact soil and create a stable foundation. It is also used in industrial processes, such as compressing gases to store and transport them more efficiently.