How Does Ampere's Law Apply to Conducting Wires and Cylindrical Shells?

In summary: Keep up the good work! In summary, the conversation discussed an infinitely long solid conducting wire and a thin cylindrical conducting shell, both carrying different currents. The direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at different points were determined using the right hand rule and Ampere's Law. The correct answers to the given questions are B, B, C, B, and B respectively.
TwinGemini14
An infinitely long solid conducting wire of radius a = 2 cm centered on the z-axis carries a current I1 = 5 A out of the screen. The current is uniformly distributed over the cross-section of the wire. Co-axial with the wire is an infinitely long thin cylindrical conducting shell of radius of b = 5 cm that carries a current of I2 = 4 A into the screen.

http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/TwinGemini14/Ampere.gif

1) At x = 1 cm, y = 0 (within the central wire), the magnetic field points

A) in the +x direction.
B) in the +y direction.
C) in the -y direction.

:: This should be B, in the +y direction. Use the right hand rule. Current is going out of the page and curl fingers to show that at (1,0), it should point 'up'.
----------------
2) In the region a < r < b (between the central wire and the thin shell), the magnitude of the magnetic field

A) is constant.
B) is porportional to r.
C) is proportional to 1/r.

:: I'm not sure how to explain it, but my gut feeling is that it is proportional to r. So B.
-----------
3) At x = 6 cm, y = 0 (outside of the shell), the magnetic field points

A) in the -x direction.
B) in the +y direction.
C) in the -y direction.

:: This is very similar to question 1. The answer should be C. Use the right hand rule and notice that at (6,0), the field points 'down'.
-----------------
4) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at x = 1 cm, y = 0 (within the central wire)?

A) 5 µT
B) 10 µT
C) 15 µT
D) 20 µT
E) 25 µT

:: This one I cannot seem to figure out. HELP NEEDED HERE. I've tried finding the current density at a radius of x=1 and using ampere's law, but cannot seem to come to one of the 5 options. Any advice?

B = (4pi*10^-7)(pi*(0.01^2)) / (2pi * 0.01) = 3.14*10^-8 WRONG!
------------------------

5) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at x = 6 cm, y = 0 (outside of the shell)?

A) 0.78 µT
B) 3.33 µT
C) 4.51 µT
D) 8.20 µT
E) 12.7 µT

:: B = ((4pi*10^-7)*(Ienclosed))/(2pi*r)
B = (4pi*10^-7)*(5-4) / (2pi * 0.06)
B = 3.33*10^-6

ANSWER IS B.
--------------------------------
Can somebody please look over my answers? I cannot seem to figure out number 4. Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your answers for questions 1, 2, and 3 are all correct. For question 4, the correct answer is B) 10 µT. You are on the right track with using Ampere's Law, but there are a few errors in your calculation. Here is the correct approach:

First, we need to find the current enclosed by a circle of radius x=1 cm. This can be done by finding the area of the circle (pi*(0.01^2)) and multiplying it by the current density, which is given as a current per unit area (5 A / pi*(0.02^2)). This gives us an enclosed current of 0.5 A.

Next, we can use Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field at the point (x=1 cm, y=0). This can be written as:

B = (mu0 * Ienclosed) / (2pi * r)

Plugging in the values we found, we get:

B = (4pi*10^-7 * 0.5) / (2pi * 0.01) = 10 µT

Therefore, the correct answer is B) 10 µT.

For question 5, your approach is correct. The only error is in the calculation of the enclosed current, which should be (4 A - 5 A) = -1 A. Using this value, we get:

B = (4pi*10^-7 * (-1)) / (2pi * 0.06) = -3.33 µT

Since the question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field, the answer is 3.33 µT, or option B.

Overall, your understanding of the concepts and approach to the problems is good. Just be careful with your calculations and units, and you should be able to get the correct answers.

Your answers for questions 1, 2, and 3 are correct. For question 4, you have correctly used Ampere's law to find the magnetic field within the central wire. However, the current density you have used is for the entire wire, not just the cross-section at x=1 cm. To find the current density at x=1 cm, you can use the fact that the current is uniformly distributed over the cross-section, so the current density would be I1/(pi*(0.01)^2). Plugging this into the Ampere's law equation, you should get a magnetic field of 5*10^-6 T, which is closest to option B.

For question 5, your approach and answer are correct. Good job!

Related to How Does Ampere's Law Apply to Conducting Wires and Cylindrical Shells?

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It is named after French physicist André-Marie Ampère.

2. How is Ampere's Law used in problem solving?

Ampere's Law is used to calculate the magnetic field strength around a closed loop due to a known electric current passing through the loop. This can be useful in solving problems involving electromagnets, solenoids, and other devices that use electric currents to produce magnetic fields.

3. What are the key components of an "Easy Ampere's Law Problem"?

An "Easy Ampere's Law Problem" typically involves a closed loop, a known electric current passing through the loop, and a need to calculate the magnetic field strength at a specific point around the loop. The problem may also provide other relevant information such as the dimensions of the loop or the permeability of the material surrounding the loop.

4. Are there any limitations to using Ampere's Law in problem solving?

Ampere's Law is based on certain assumptions, such as the current being steady and the loop being infinitely thin. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world situations, so it is important to carefully consider the applicability of Ampere's Law in each problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Ampere's Law and its application in problem solving?

To improve your understanding of Ampere's Law, it is helpful to practice solving various types of problems and to study the underlying principles and concepts behind the law. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to supplement your learning.