How Does Cadmium Absorb Neutrons?

• B
  • Thread starter Mary curie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of neutron absorption in a nuclear reactor, where cadmium is used to absorb the neutrons. This process is a nuclear reaction that involves adding a neutron to the nucleus of an atom. The conversation also includes a link for further information on neutron capture and neutron poisoning.
Mary curie
Hello guys ! How are you ?
So, I am a senior student and we're studying nuclear transformations.
Well long story short our teacher tell us that in a nuclear reactor we make a surface with cadium to absorb the neutrons !
And than a problem was created in my head ! Please help ! I don't understand how this Cd "absorb " neutrons! ?
Thank you and have nice day ![emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Physics news on Phys.org
The neutrons hit the cadmium nuclei and get absorbed. The new nucleus then emits a photon (or sometimes more) as it goes to its new ground state.

There is no need to use multiple exclamation and question marks everywhere, the forum will display a single one (and also a period) without any issues.

Likes Mary curie
Oh sorry about it ...( :( )
Actually the problem is that I don't understand this process of absorption is it a chemical reaction or what ?

It is a nuclear reaction as it happens in the nucleus. To understand it properly you'll need some quantum mechanics. Otherwise just imagine adding one more thing (a neutron) to an existing pile of other things (protons and neutrons in the cadmium nucleus).

Likes stoomart and Mary curie
Mary curie said:
So, I am a senior student and we're studying nuclear transformations.
Senior in high school or college?

Mary curie said:
Actually the problem is that I don't understand this process of absorption is it a chemical reaction or what ?
You know that the nucleus of an atom is made up of protons and neutrons? When a neutron hits the nucleus of some elements, it can "stick there," be absorbed.

Likes Mary curie
Oh thank you It's clear now !
And yeah high school but not in usa I'm from Morocco

DrClaude said:
Senior in high school or college?You know that the nucleus of an atom is made up of protons and neutrons? When a neutron hits the nucleus of some elements, it can "stick there," be absorbed.
I am in high school but not in usa I am from Morocco[emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

1. How does cadmium absorb neutrons?

Cadmium absorbs neutrons through a process called neutron capture, where the nucleus of a cadmium atom captures a neutron, forming a heavier isotope of cadmium. This process is also known as radiative capture.

2. What is the mechanism behind cadmium's neutron absorbing properties?

Cadmium has a high affinity for neutrons due to its large number of unpaired protons and neutrons in its nucleus. When a neutron approaches the cadmium nucleus, it is attracted to the unpaired particles and becomes captured, resulting in a more stable configuration.

3. How does the presence of cadmium affect nuclear reactions?

The presence of cadmium can slow down or stop nuclear reactions by absorbing neutrons, causing a decrease in the number of neutrons available for further reactions. This is a useful property in nuclear reactors, where cadmium rods are used to control the rate of fission reactions.

4. Can cadmium be used in nuclear power plants?

Yes, cadmium can be used in nuclear power plants as a control rod material. These control rods help regulate the rate of nuclear reactions by absorbing excess neutrons. Cadmium's high neutron absorption capability makes it a suitable material for this purpose.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with cadmium's neutron absorption properties?

While cadmium's neutron absorption properties make it useful in nuclear applications, it is also a toxic element and can pose health and environmental hazards. Proper handling and disposal of cadmium-containing materials is necessary to minimize any potential risks.