How Does Changing a Hole in a Pipe Affect Its Resonant Frequency?

In summary, the problem is asking for the new frequency when a hole in a pipe changes the resonant frequency by a factor of two, meaning the new frequency is twice the original frequency and is the second harmonic.
jmason52
This is more a clarification concerning harmonics, I think. :)

The problem is thus: If a hole in a pipe changes the resonant frequency of the pipe by a factor of 2, what is the new frequency.

My confusion: I think this is a simple harmonics question, but I am confused by the term "factor of 2". Does this mean: f2 = 2*f1 indicating it is the Second Harmonic, or does it mean an increase of 2 harmonics, making it f2 = 3*f1? I guess then, my question is: does 1 level of factor = 1 harmonic?

Thanks for the help/opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, one level of factor does not equal one harmonic. A factor of two would imply that the new frequency is twice the original frequency, or two times the fundamental frequency. This means that the new frequency is the second harmonic (2f1).

Related to How Does Changing a Hole in a Pipe Affect Its Resonant Frequency?

What is resonance in a standing wave?

Resonance in a standing wave is a phenomenon that occurs when a periodic force is applied to a system at its natural frequency, causing the system to vibrate with maximum amplitude.

How is resonance in a standing wave created?

Resonance in a standing wave is created when a wave reflects back and forth within a confined space, creating a pattern of constructive and destructive interference that amplifies the wave's amplitude.

What are some examples of resonance in a standing wave?

Some examples of resonance in a standing wave include vibrating guitar strings, sound waves in a musical instrument, and electromagnetic waves in a microwave oven.

What are the characteristics of resonance in a standing wave?

The main characteristics of resonance in a standing wave are a fixed frequency, a specific wavelength, and a standing wave pattern with nodes and antinodes.

What are the practical applications of resonance in a standing wave?

Resonance in a standing wave is used in various technologies, such as musical instruments, amplifiers, and wireless communication devices, to produce and transmit signals efficiently and with minimal interference.