How Does Changing Magnetic Field Affect Charge Movement in a Copper Coil?

In summary, according to the conversation, if a 13.2 cm diameter loop of copper has a current of 1 A, the magnetic field will be strongest in the middle of the loop and will fall off in all directions.
TickleMeElma
Hey all smartie-pants!

So this is the problem I have a tough time with:

The magnetic field perpendicular to a single 13.2-cm-diameter circular loop of copper wire decreases uniformly from 0.750T to zero. If the wire is 2.25mm in diameter, how much charge moves past a point in the coil during this operation?

This is what I was able to come up with:

I need to find the circumference, which will give me the length of the wire, which will help me find the resistance of the wire. Knowing that, I can find out the current, which they are looking for?

But what about time? Don't I need time to find out the flux??

Thanks so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Induced emf V = [tex] - d \phi /dt = -A dB/dt [/tex]

But ohms law, V = I R = dQ/dt * R

From above two you have

[tex] A * dB/dt = - R * dQ/dt [/tex]

or

A dB = R dQ

integrating,

[tex]Q = A/R * (change in B field) [/tex]

A is the cross sectional area of the loop

R can be found using R = s L / A where s is the resistivity of copper, L circumferece and A is the cross sectional area of the wire.

Last edited:
color me puzzled...

TickleMeElma said:
Hey all smartie-pants!

So this is the problem I have a tough time with:

The magnetic field perpendicular to a single 13.2-cm-diameter circular loop of copper wire decreases uniformly from 0.750T to zero. If the wire is 2.25mm in diameter, how much charge moves past a point in the coil during this operation?

This is what I was able to come up with:

I need to find the circumference, which will give me the length of the wire, which will help me find the resistance of the wire. Knowing that, I can find out the current, which they are looking for?

But what about time? Don't I need time to find out the flux??

Thanks so much for any help!

isn't the strength of the magnetic field in a one-turn solenoid, as you've described, governed by the current in the wire and its dimensions alone?

you have the diameter of the loop; the strength of the magnetic field should be strongest in the middle of the loop, in the plane of the loop, and fall off in all directions, radially, right? so how much current will produce the specified magnetic field?

current = charge/second; you only need volts and ohms and resistivity and stuff like that if they're part of the problem OR solution, which, it looks to me, they're not...

color me wrong?
+af
:)))

Related to How Does Changing Magnetic Field Affect Charge Movement in a Copper Coil?

1. What is an induced magnetic field?

An induced magnetic field is a magnetic field that is created in a material due to the presence of a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field can come from an external source or from the movement of charged particles within the material itself.

2. How is an induced magnetic field different from a permanent magnetic field?

A permanent magnetic field is created by the alignment of the magnetic moments of particles within a material, and it remains constant over time. An induced magnetic field, on the other hand, is temporary and only exists as long as there is a changing magnetic field present.

3. What is the relationship between induced magnetic fields and electromotive force?

Induced magnetic fields and electromotive force are closely related. When a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor, it induces an electric current, which in turn creates an induced magnetic field. This process is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many technologies such as generators and transformers.

4. Can induced magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, induced magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by using materials that are highly permeable to magnetic fields, such as iron or steel. These materials redirect the magnetic field lines, preventing them from passing through and thus shielding the area from the effects of the induced magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications of induced magnetic fields?

Induced magnetic fields have numerous practical applications in technology and everyday life. Some examples include generators, transformers, electric motors, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in magnetic data storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards.