How does corona discharge create leakage current?

In summary: You can also look up "displacement current" or "capacitor leakage current" to see what I'm talking about. In summary, current flows from the antenna to the gap in the capacitor, then flows away from the capacitor.
newengr
TL;DR Summary
Where is the current path during corona discharge since the conductive channel doesn't completely bridge the electrodes?
In a normal circuit it's easy enough to visualize the path electrons take through a wire. Even considering leakage current in a capacitor, it's easy enough to visualize a large parallel resistance that current "leaks" through. Is there such a way to visualize corona discharge? I get that it creates leakage current but if it's only ionizing air in the immediate area, how do the electrons complete the loop?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
would it be represented as a nonlinear resistance? Or like several series resistances where the resistance increases as you move away from the electrode?

As far as I can see, it requires an AC or RF voltage and the current flows from the conductor into the capacitance formed between the conductor and the rest of the Universe.

I'm stretching here. This is not my expertise. But I visualize it like this.

Start with neutral atoms. Some of them are ionized by the powerful electric field gradient. Now we have some free electrons (-) and ionized atoms (+) in a neutral plasma. They move around. When they get far enough away from the wire, they recombine into neutral atoms (not necessarily the same electron recombing with its original atom). When they recombine, they emit light which is the glow of the corona.

1641326087428.png

So there is no net current. Just atoms ionizing and recombining, with a neutral plasma in between.

newengr said:
Summary:: Where is the current path during corona discharge since the conductive channel doesn't completely bridge the electrodes?

how do the electrons complete the loop?
Sorry for the diversion, although interesting (to me, LOL) and somewhat related to your question.

How do EM waves propagate through the vacuum of space? There are no wires. Does current flow away from the antenna that launches them?
What is displacement current? How does "electricity" flow across the gap of a vacuum capacitor? What if you can't easily "see" the other plate?

There are lots of good demos on YouTube of Tesla coils and such.

1. How does corona discharge occur?

Corona discharge is a phenomenon that occurs when a high voltage is applied to a conductor, causing the air surrounding the conductor to ionize and form a conductive path. This can happen when the electric field strength exceeds the breakdown strength of air, causing a small spark or glow to appear.

2. What causes corona discharge to create leakage current?

Corona discharge creates leakage current by ionizing the air surrounding a conductor, which forms a conductive path for current to flow. This can happen even when there is no direct physical contact between the conductor and another object, allowing current to leak out and cause electrical interference or damage.

3. How does the intensity of the corona discharge affect leakage current?

The intensity of the corona discharge can greatly affect the amount of leakage current produced. A higher intensity discharge will create a larger conductive path, resulting in a higher amount of leakage current. This is why it is important to control the intensity of corona discharge in electrical systems.

4. What are the effects of corona discharge on electrical systems?

Corona discharge can have a number of negative effects on electrical systems. It can cause leakage current, which can lead to interference, overheating, and damage to equipment. It can also produce ozone, which is harmful to both humans and animals, and can corrode materials such as metal and rubber.

5. How can corona discharge and leakage current be prevented?

Corona discharge and leakage current can be prevented by controlling the voltage and electric field strength in electrical systems, using insulation materials to minimize the potential for ionization, and maintaining proper spacing between conductors. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.