How does Generalized Work have dimensions of Work?

In summary: To put it another way, the mathematics is what it is, and we humans choose to give certain quantities special names because it helps us understand and analyze physical systems. In summary, the generalized forces ##Q_{\alpha}## and coordinates ##q_{\alpha}## are defined for convenience and do not necessarily have the same dimensions as force and length. The product of the two, ##\sum\;Q_{\alpha}\;q_{\alpha}##, must have the dimensions of work by definition. These quantities are not known or recognized by the system itself, but are chosen by humans to aid in analysis. This choice is based on convenience and allows for a straightforward interpretation in some cases.
patric44
Homework Statement
how the generalized work has dimensions of work ?
Relevant Equations
W = sum(Qi.dqi) ; where Qi is the generalized force
hi guys
my analytical mechanics professor asked a question the other day about, how come the generalized forces##Q_{\alpha}## doesn't need to have a dimension of force, and the generalized coordinated ##q_{\alpha}##as well doesn't need to have a dimension of length, but the generalized work ##\sum\;Q_{\alpha}\;q_{\alpha}## must have the dimension of work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true sort of by definition.

In regular Cartesian coordinates, the work due to a force ##\vec{F}## applied over a displacement ##d\vec{r}## is given by:

##dW = \sum_i F_i dx^i##

Under a generalized coordinate transformation, ##dx^i = \sum_\alpha \Lambda^i_\alpha dq^\alpha##, where ##\Lambda^i_\alpha## is the matrix of partial derivatives: ##\Lambda^i_\alpha = \dfrac{\partial x^i}{\partial q^\alpha}##. So in terms of the ##q^\alpha##, we have:

##dW = \sum_i F_i dx^i = \sum_i F_i (\sum_\alpha \Lambda^i_\alpha dq^\alpha)##

Rearranging the terms gives:
##dW = \sum_i F_i dx^i = \sum_\alpha dq^\alpha (\sum_i F_i \Lambda^i_\alpha)##

Then you just define ##Q_\alpha = \sum_i F_i \Lambda^i_\alpha##.

So the generalized forces were specifically defined so that ##dW## has the same value as in Cartesian coordinates.

• Informative
Likes patric44
To get an intuition, it helps to consider a specific example.

For simplicity, consider a system with only one degree of freedom - simple rotation. The generalised force, Q, will be a torque and the generalised coordinate, q, will be an angle.

dW = Qdq

Angles are dimensionless. It is no coincidence that the dimensions of torque are the same as those of work!

We choose Q and q for convenience; there is no reason they must have the dimensions of force and length. But their product must have the dimensions of work.

• Informative
Likes patric44
how come We choose Q and q for convenience, isn't that related to the system i am working on, how the system itself adjusts so that Q.q is the same in every coordinate?
or the system doesn't know about Q in the first place ,and it is only my definition?

so what i understood from you guys is that the generalized force is mathematically manufactured to get W upon doting it with q , why did we defined it in such a way ?
i can't get my head around this

Not sure I fully understand the questions (which are very different from the question in your first post!). But see if this helps.

The system does not ‘know’ about the existence of ‘Q’s and ‘q’s. Forces and coordinates are (of course) purely human choices/concepts to help us analyse a system’s behaviour.

We typically identify the degrees of freedom and assign a generalised coordinate ##q_i## to each. If ##q_i## changes by some amount ##\delta q_i## then some work ##\delta W_i## is done. The generalised force associated with this is ##Q_i## and, from an abstract point of view, it is simply the constant of proportionality between ##\delta q_i## and ##\delta W_i## giving ##\delta W_i = Q_i \delta q_i##.

But ##Q_i## isn’t ‘mathematically manufactured’ this way without reason. Read the section entitled ‘Generalized forces’ here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_forces#Generalized_forces

Note that each generalized force, ##Q_i## is taken as having the same direction as ##\delta q_i##. So dot products are not required between ##Q_i## and ##\delta q_i## (check the above link).

A different choice of coordinates would of course give a different set of ##\delta W_i##s but the same total work.

I suspect that may not answer your questions! Someone more knowledgeable than I might be able to help. You could try posting a new, more specific, question.

Likes patric44
patric44 said:
how come We choose Q and q for convenience, isn't that related to the system i am working on, how the system itself adjusts so that Q.q is the same in every coordinate?
Once you choose the ##q##'s, they determine what the ##Q##'s are. You don't have the freedom to choose both arbitrarily. That's what @stevendaryl is saying in his post above.

so what i understood from you guys is that the generalized force is mathematically manufactured to get W upon dotting it with q. Why did we defined it in such a way?
Because it's convenient. If you have a coordinate transformation, you can express the work in terms of displacements ##\delta q_j## where each ##\delta q_j## is multiplied by some complicated expression, and leave it at that. But we choose to give that complicated expression the name generalized force because it makes sense conceptually and it turns out to have a straightforward physical interpretation in some cases.

Likes patric44

1. How is Generalized Work defined?

Generalized Work is a concept in physics that refers to the energy expended in a system due to external forces acting on it. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in joules (J).

2. Why does Generalized Work have dimensions of Work?

Generalized Work has dimensions of Work because it is a measure of the energy transferred to or from a system by external forces, which is the same definition as Work. Therefore, both quantities have the same units of measurement.

3. Can Generalized Work have negative values?

Yes, Generalized Work can have negative values. This occurs when the direction of the external force is opposite to the direction of the displacement of the system. In this case, the work done by the external force is negative, indicating that energy has been taken away from the system.

4. How is Generalized Work related to other forms of Work?

Generalized Work is a more general concept that encompasses other forms of Work, such as mechanical work, electrical work, and gravitational work. These specific forms of Work are all examples of Generalized Work, as they involve the transfer of energy by external forces.

5. What are some real-life examples of Generalized Work?

Some examples of Generalized Work in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, lifting weights, and pedaling a bicycle. These activities all involve external forces acting on a system and transferring energy to or from it, resulting in Generalized Work being done.