How does gravitational self-interaction affect the Milky Way Galaxy?

KurtLudwig
Gold Member
It is believed that gravity interacts with itself. I assume that gravity between stars increases. Does gravitational self-interaction change the galaxy's shape or increase the rotation curves of stars?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
It is believed that gravity interacts with itself.
More precisely, the Einstein Field Equation is nonlinear, which can be described as gravity interacting with itself. There is a lot of complexity lurking here; see this Insights article series for more information:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/does-gravity-gravitate/

KurtLudwig said:
I assume that gravity between stars increases.
No, gravity interacting with itself is not that simple.

KurtLudwig said:
Does gravitational self-interaction change the galaxy's shape or increase the rotation curves of stars?
The standard viewpoint at present is that any such effect is negligible, because gravity is too weak in this regime for any nonlinear effects to be significant. This is one of the chief reasons why the standard viewpoint postulates dark matter in order to account for galaxy rotation curves.

There is a body of research by Deur, among others, that claims that the above is not the case. This research has been discussed in a number of PF threads. I think it's fair to say that these proposals have not achieved much traction in the wider community, although research along these lines continues.

There is also the MOND viewpoint, which claims, in effect, that GR does not correctly describe the law of gravity for very small "acceleration due to gravity". (Many MOND proponents do not describe their research this way, but that is what it amounts to.)

Likes KurtLudwig, vanhees71, fresh_42 and 2 others
Thank you so much for taking the tine to answer my questions.
I attempted to understand your insights article "does-gravity-gravitate", however I am not at your level. One actually has to study physics at a graduate level and take classes in General Relativity to understand.
Is professor Alexander Deur mathematics correct? As you know, he is a reasearch physicist in particle physics at Jefferson Labs in Virginia.

KurtLudwig said:
Is professor Alexander Deur mathematics correct?
That is an open question. If you search PF for his name you will find multiple threads discussing his work. I am not aware of any other physicist who has confirmed his calculations.

1. How does gravitational self-interaction affect the structure of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Gravitational self-interaction plays a crucial role in shaping the structure of the Milky Way Galaxy. It influences the distribution of stars, gas, and dark matter within the galaxy, leading to the formation of spiral arms, galactic bulges, and other features.

2. What are the implications of gravitational self-interaction for the dynamics of the Milky Way Galaxy?

The gravitational self-interaction within the Milky Way Galaxy affects its dynamics by influencing the orbits of stars and other celestial bodies. This can lead to the formation of galactic bars, density waves, and other dynamic features that shape the evolution of the galaxy over time.

3. How does gravitational self-interaction contribute to the stability of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Gravitational self-interaction helps maintain the stability of the Milky Way Galaxy by balancing the gravitational forces between different components of the galaxy. This equilibrium prevents the galaxy from collapsing under its own gravity or dispersing into space.

4. Can gravitational self-interaction explain the observed rotation curve of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Gravitational self-interaction is one of the factors that contribute to the observed rotation curve of the Milky Way Galaxy. It affects the distribution of mass within the galaxy, which in turn influences the orbital velocities of stars and gas. However, other factors such as dark matter also play a significant role in shaping the rotation curve.

5. How do scientists study the effects of gravitational self-interaction on the Milky Way Galaxy?

Scientists study the effects of gravitational self-interaction on the Milky Way Galaxy through computer simulations, observations of galactic structures, and theoretical models. By combining these approaches, researchers can gain a better understanding of how gravitational self-interaction shapes the evolution and dynamics of our galaxy.