How does hot water brew coffee?

In summary, when brewing coffee or tea with hot water, the heat causes a diffusion process to occur, increasing the surface area of the plant material and allowing for faster diffusion. The grind size also plays a role in controlling the diffusion path length. While temperature may also affect the solubility of certain chemicals, the main factor in the brewing process is the heat and its effects on the plant material.
jenny_shoars
I wondering what actually happens when you brew coffee (or tea) with hot water. Every source I can find simply talks about how long you need to brew it to "draw out" the flavor or "release" the caffeine. I'm interested in what's actually physically happening to the coffee grounds that makes it change the water into coffee. If it was just that particulate matter got into the water, there wouldn't be need for hot water. Is it that some small component of the coffee ground is actually changed from a solid to a liquid from the hot water and gets mixed with the water? Or maybe there's some microscopic pockets in the coffee ground which when heated expands and pops open releasing stuff into the water? What's actually going on? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
OP has touched on some of the physical phenomena of brewing tea or coffee. They can be brewed with cold water but they are primarily diffusion processes sped up by the heat. The heat swells the woody cells of the plant material, increasing the area for the diffusion. A parameter that is controlled is diffusion path length by controlling the grind grain size as a function of time of exposure to the diluant water. There is probably some temperature effect on the chemicals solubility but that's beyond me. I just know how to brew a good cuppa from the cheapest bens that I can find.

1. What is the ideal temperature for brewing coffee?

The ideal temperature for brewing coffee is between 195-205°F (90-96°C). This temperature range is hot enough to extract the flavor and oils from the coffee beans, but not so hot that it will scald the beans and create a bitter taste.

2. Why does hot water extract the flavor from coffee beans?

Hot water is able to extract the flavor and oils from coffee beans because it acts as a solvent, dissolving the soluble compounds in the beans. This process is called extraction and is essential for creating a flavorful cup of coffee.

3. How does the brewing time affect the flavor of coffee?

The brewing time can greatly affect the flavor of coffee. If the brewing time is too short, the coffee may taste weak and under-extracted. If the brewing time is too long, the coffee may become bitter and over-extracted. The ideal brewing time for coffee is typically between 4-6 minutes.

4. Does the type of coffee bean affect the brewing process?

Yes, the type of coffee bean used can affect the brewing process and the resulting flavor of the coffee. Different types of beans have different levels of density and moisture, which can impact how they interact with hot water during the brewing process.

5. Is there a recommended water to coffee ratio for brewing?

Yes, the recommended water to coffee ratio for brewing is typically 1-2 tablespoons of coffee grounds for every 6 ounces of water. However, this ratio can vary depending on personal preference and the strength of coffee desired.