How Does Inductance Affect DC Circuit Behavior?

In summary: Thanks for asking! In summary, the circuit has a time constant of 0.606 ms and the voltage drop across the inductor is 1.62V. The voltage drop across the resistor is 11.4V. The resistance of a 0.2 H coil used to replace the inductor if the circuit’s time constant falls to 0.55 ms is 36 Ohms.
jimmy4
1. An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2 H is
connected in series with a 330 Ω resistor to a 12V d.c. supply.
Determine:

(a) the time constant of the circuit
(b) the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants
(c) the voltage drop across the resistor after three time constants
(d) the resistance of a 0.2 H coil used to replace the inductor if the
circuit’s time constant falls to 0.55 ms.

I have calculated A, B, and C, however I am struggling with D.

(a) 0.606ms
(b) 1.62V
(c) 11.4V

2. Relevent Equations. resistance = inductance / time constant

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmy4 said:
1. An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2 H is
connected in series with a 330 Ω resistor to a 12V d.c. supply.
Determine:

(a) the time constant of the circuit
(b) the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants
(c) the voltage drop across the resistor after three time constants
(d) the resistance of a 0.2 H coil used to replace the inductor if the
circuit’s time constant falls to 0.55 ms.

I have calculated A, B, and C, however I am struggling with D.

(a) 0.606ms
(b) 1.62V
(c) 11.4V

2. Relevent Equations. resistance = inductance / time constant

Given the new time constant value, what is the total resistance? (Hint: use the formula you gave as a relevant equation).

If the external resistor comprises 330 Ω of that total resistance, how much should be ascribed to the new coil?

resistance = inductance / time constant

R = 0.2H/0.55ms

R = 36 Ohms

Not sure much should much should be ascribed to the new coil, or how this is calculates into the equation

jimmy4 said:
resistance = inductance / time constant

R = 0.2H/0.55ms

R = 36 Ohms

Not sure much should much should be ascribed to the new coil, or how this is calculates into the equation

That resistance looks a bit too small. Check your units' powers of ten.

R = 360 Ohms
Original Resister = 330 Ohms
Therefore resistance through the coil = 30 Ohms

jimmy4 said:
R = 360 Ohms
Original Resister = 330 Ohms
Therefore resistance through the coil = 30 Ohms

That looks fine.

Cheers gneill thanks a lot mate.

Hi guys, sorry to butt in on this post but I am currently completing this question and I'm struggling with b & c. I've worked through the lesson but cannot see any equations that I can use for the voltage drop across the resistor or the inductor. Would either of you be able to point me in the right direction? I've been stuck for a few days now so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hopkid said:
Hi guys, sorry to butt in on this post but I am currently completing this question and I'm struggling with b & c. I've worked through the lesson but cannot see any equations that I can use for the voltage drop across the resistor or the inductor. Would either of you be able to point me in the right direction? I've been stuck for a few days now so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The equation you are after is i=I[1-e^-Rt/L] and you will need to calculate I first before you can use the equation

Related to How Does Inductance Affect DC Circuit Behavior?

1. What is inductance in a DC network?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that opposes changes in current. It is caused by the presence of an inductor, which is a type of passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How is inductance measured in a DC network?

Inductance is measured in units called henries (H) using a device called an inductance meter. This meter applies a known voltage to the circuit and measures the resulting current to calculate the inductance value.

3. What is the role of inductance in a DC network?

Inductance plays a crucial role in controlling the flow of current in a DC network. It acts as a barrier to the sudden changes in current, preventing damage to the circuit and helping to stabilize the power supply.

4. How does inductance affect the performance of a DC network?

Inductance can cause several effects in a DC network, including voltage spikes, delays in current response, and changes in the frequency of the circuit. These effects can impact the overall performance of the network and must be carefully managed.

5. What factors influence the inductance in a DC network?

The inductance in a DC network is influenced by several factors, including the number of turns in the inductor, the material and shape of the inductor's core, and the presence of nearby conductive materials. It can also be adjusted by changing the current or frequency in the circuit.