How Does Reflection Affect Photon Phase Shift in Quantum Experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the double-slit experiment and the use of fully-silvered and half-silvered mirrors. The author, Roger Penrose, explains how the phase shift of pi/2 is caused by the mirror and not the change in direction of the laser beam. The explanation is based on classical electromagnetics and is not dependent on the angle of incidence. The question also mentions quantum electrodynamics and its explanation for the reflection of light at the individual photon/electron level.
LarryS
Gold Member
I read about one version of the double-slit experiment that uses a light beam from a laser and a combination of fully-silvered and half-silvered mirrors.

The author, Roger Penrose, describes one part of the experimental apparatus in which a light beam from a laser, traveling “north”, encounters a fully-silvered mirror at a 45 degree angle to the beam and is reflected “east”. He said that the wave function for those photons from the laser had to be multiplied by i in order to account for the ¼ phase shift (pi/2) caused by the mirror.

My question is this: Is the pi/2 phase shift caused by the fact that the laser beam changed direction by 90 degrees or is the phase shift due solely to the physical properties of the mirror?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is just due to the mirror. The phase change is due to the usual boundary conditions for
an EM wave impinging on a reflective surface (i.e is is just classical EM).

f95toli said:
It is just due to the mirror. The phase change is due to the usual boundary conditions for

So, are you saying that if the angle of incidence of the beam on the mirror had been, say, 10 degrees instead of 45 degrees, the phase shift still would have been pi/2?

Yes.

f95toli said:

Thanks. How does QED explain, at the individual photon/electron level, the phenomena of the reflection of light?

Related to How Does Reflection Affect Photon Phase Shift in Quantum Experiments?

What is a mirror?

A mirror is a smooth and highly reflective surface that is able to produce an accurate and clear image of an object placed in front of it by reflecting light.

How do mirrors work?

Mirrors work by reflecting light at the same angle at which it hits the surface of the mirror. This reflection creates an image of the object that appears to be behind the mirror.

What is a phase shift?

A phase shift is a change in the position or timing of a wave. In the context of mirrors, it refers to the change in position of an image when viewed through different angles or orientations of the mirror.

How do mirrors create phase shifts?

Mirrors create phase shifts by reflecting light and changing the angle at which the light waves hit the observer's eye. This change in angle creates a different perspective and changes the apparent position of the object in the mirror.

What are some practical applications of mirrors and phase shifts?

Mirrors and phase shifts have numerous practical applications, such as in optics for creating images, in telescopes for magnification, and in lasers for producing coherent light. They are also used in everyday objects like mirrors for personal grooming and in cars for rear-view mirrors.