How does Rotating an Ellipse change its equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mistakes made in rotating an ellipse using a rotation matrix, and the correct approach to solving the problem. The conversation also requests a recommendation for a textbook that covers the topic of rotating hyperbolic equations.
resurgance2001
Homework Statement
For an ellipse x^2/a^2 + y^2/a^2 = 1 prove that is the ellipse is rotated counter clockwise by an angle of 45 degrees the new equation for the ellipse is (x + y)^2/2a^2 + (x - y)^2/a^2 = 1
Relevant Equations
Rotation matrix plus parametric equations for an ellipse.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
when I apply the same rotation matrix to a simple vector I do get a counter clockwise rotation of 45 degrees. But when I try to do the same thing with the equation for the ellipse the rotation is clockwise. Is the mistake that what I have actually done is to rotate the axis? I am confused about this and the textbook solution is not very helpful. See below:
image.jpg

Let T be the matrix of rotation counterclockwise by 45 degrees. Then based on what this does to the basic unit vectors, (1,0) and (0,1) the matrix T has columns [1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2)], [-1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2)]. Then if g = 0 is the equation for the original ellipse, and f=0 is the equation for the rotated ellipse, we have g(x) = 0 if and only if f(T(x)) = 0, if and only if (T*f)(x) = 0, where T* is pulling back functions via T. Hence g = T*f, so f = (T*)^-1(g). But pulling back polynomials is determined by the pullback on linear, i.e. coordinate functions, and pulling back linear functions is just done by the transpose matrix. But since T is a rotation matrix, if T* is the transpose matrix, then T* = T^-1, so (T*)^-1 = T. So since in the dual space the function x has coordinates (1,0) and y has coordinates (0,1), they transform by x-->x/sqrt(2) + y/sqrt(2) and y--> -x/sqrt(2) + y/sqrt(2). Thus the equation x^2/a^2 +y^2/b^2 =1, transforms into the equation obtained from these substitutions, i.e. (x+y)^2/2a^2 + (-x+y)^2/2b^2 = 1, where (-x+y)^2 = (x-y)^2.

Last edited:
You ended up with ##x' = (x-y)/\sqrt 2## and ##y' = (x+y)/\sqrt 2##. The line ##x'=0##, which is where ##x=y##, is the ##y'##-axis, and the line ##y'=0##, which is where ##x=-y##, is the ##x'##-axis. When you rotate the ellipse counterclockwise, you want its axis on the ##y'##-axis to have length ##a## and length ##b## on the ##x'## axis, but you wrote the equation of the ellipse in terms of ##x'## and ##y'## the other way around.

Likes resurgance2001
resurgance2001 said:
Is the mistake that what I have actually done is to rotate the axis?
You made two mistakes. You rotated the axes and then wrote down the equation for a different ellipse than what you started with.

There are two ways to attack the problem. The book's solution is an active rotation. It took points on the ellipse ##(a \cos\theta, b\sin\theta)## and rotated them about the origin by +45 degrees. In other words, they left the axes alone and rotated the ellipse.

The other way would be to leave the ellipse alone and rotate the axes by -45 degrees. This is a passive rotation. If you rotate the x- and y- axes in the clockwise direction by 45 degrees, then relative to these axes, the original ellipse appears rotated by 45 degrees in the counterclockwise direction.

Your attempt rotated the axes by 45 degrees clockwise, but then you wrote down the equation for a different ellipse that aligned with those axes. That ellipse is rotated 45 degree clockwise relative to the original ellipse, which is what you discovered. What you needed to do was solve for x and y in terms of x' and y' and then substitute back into the equation for the ellipse.

Likes PeroK and Lnewqban
Thank you. Is there a textbook that you can recommend which covers this topic - specifically in relation to rotating hyperbolic equations?

Thanks again.

vela said:
You made two mistakes. You rotated the axes and then wrote down the equation for a different ellipse than what you started with.

There are two ways to attack the problem. The book's solution is an active rotation. It took points on the ellipse ##(a \cos\theta, b\sin\theta)## and rotated them about the origin by +45 degrees. In other words, they left the axes alone and rotated the ellipse.

The other way would be to leave the ellipse alone and rotate the axes by -45 degrees. This is a passive rotation. If you rotate the x- and y- axes in the clockwise direction by 45 degrees, then relative to these axes, the original ellipse appears rotated by 45 degrees in the counterclockwise direction.

Your attempt rotated the axes by 45 degrees clockwise, but then you wrote down the equation for a different ellipse that aligned with those axes. That ellipse is rotated 45 degree clockwise relative to the original ellipse, which is what you discovered. What you needed to do was solve for x and y in terms of x' and y' and then substitute back into the equation for the ellipse.
Thank you. Can you recommend a textbook which covers specifically the topic of rotated hyperbolic equations? Thanks again.

vela said:
You ended up with ##x' = (x-y)/\sqrt 2## and ##y' = (x+y)/\sqrt 2##. The line ##x'=0##, which is where ##x=y##, is the ##y'##-axis, and the line ##y'=0##, which is where ##x=-y##, is the ##x'##-axis. When you rotate the ellipse counterclockwise, you want its axis on the ##y'##-axis to have length ##a## and length ##b## on the ##x'## axis, but you wrote the equation of the ellipse in terms of ##x'## and ##y'## the other way around.
Thank you. I would really like to see this in a text book. Can you recommend one please?

I don't know of a textbook off the top of my head. It's been so long since I first ran across rotations. You could try looking through the OpenStax math textbooks, available for free download. I'd start with the books on college algebra/trig, calculus (look up something like change of coordinates), and linear algebra.

Perhaps someone else will chime in to give you better suggestions.

vela said:
I don't know of a textbook off the top of my head. It's been so long since I first ran across rotations. You could try looking through the OpenStax math textbooks, available for free download. I'd start with the books on college algebra/trig, calculus (look up something like change of coordinates), and linear algebra.

Perhaps someone else will chime in to give you better suggestions.
Thank you. I have now found one online resource which is dedicated to this specific topic which looks very useful. I will also check out the resource you have suggested.

Obviously they look at an active rotation of the ellipse, counter-clockwise by ##\pi/4##. In 2D Cartesian coordinates you have
$$\vec{x}'=\hat{D} \vec{x}, \quad \hat{D}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 \\ 1 ^1 \end{pmatrix}.$$
What you need is the inverse, which is easy, because ##\hat{D}^{-1}=\hat{D}^{\text{T}}## for an O(2) matrix. So you have
$$\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ -1 ^1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x' \\ y' \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} x'+y' \\ y'-x' \end{pmatrix}.$$
So you just can plug this in the original equation of the ellipse,
$$\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1 \; \Rightarrow \; \frac{(x'+y')^2}{2 a^2}+\frac{(x'-y')^2}{2 b^2}=1.$$

Likes PeroK
Thanks - I can see that now. To find the equation of the ellipse in the original axes we actually need to use the inverse of the rotation matrix. Thanks again.

resurgance2001 said:
Thank you. I have now found one online resource which is dedicated to this specific topic which looks very useful. I will also check out the resource you have suggested.
The key point you have to be clear about is what you are actually doing. One process is to take a vector, rotate it, and write down the new vector components in terms of the original components. That's not what you are doing here.

The required process is as follows. You have a set of points ##(x,y)## that satisfy an equation. Under a rotation, each of these points transforms to a new point ##(x',y')##. As above, you can specify the new coordinates in terms of the original coordinates. But, if you think about it, that's not so useful.

What you really want is the original coordinates expressed in terms of the new coordinates. Because then you can substitute the expressions for ##x## and ##y## into the original equation and get an equation for ##x'## and ##y'##.

What you want, therefore, is to write ##x = f(x',y')## and ##y = g(x',y')##. This works in general, not just for rotations. That's why it's the inverse transformation that you really want. And, of course, for an anticlockwise rotation the inverse is a clockwise rotation.

Likes vanhees71
The ellipse equation can be written in components wrt. the Cartesian basis with the semiaxes in direction of the basis vectors as
$$\vec{x}^{\text{T}} \hat{M} \vec{x}=1, \quad \hat{M}=\mathrm{diag}(1/a^2,1/b^2).$$
In an arbitrarily rotated Cartesian basis you have
$$\vec{x}'=\hat{D} \vec{x},$$
where
$$\hat{D}=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \phi & -\sin \phi \\ \sin \phi & \cos \phi \end{pmatrix}$$
is the rotation matrix. Then
$$\vec{x}=\hat{D}^{\text{T}} \vec{x}'$$
Plugging this into the equation, gives
$$\vec{x}^{\prime \text{T}} \hat{M}' \vec{x}'=1, \quad \hat{M}'=\hat{D} \hat{M} \hat{D}^{\text{T}}.$$

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How does rotating an ellipse affect its equation?

Rotating an ellipse changes the coefficients of the x and y terms in the equation. The new equation will involve trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine, which represent the rotation angle.

2. Does rotating an ellipse change its shape?

Rotating an ellipse does not change its shape but changes its orientation in the coordinate plane. The major and minor axes remain the same, but their directions are altered based on the rotation angle.

3. What is the general equation of a rotated ellipse?

The general equation of a rotated ellipse is of the form Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0, where A, B, and C are determined by the ellipse's major and minor axes and the rotation angle.

4. How do you rotate an ellipse by a specific angle?

To rotate an ellipse by a specific angle, you can use a rotation matrix or trigonometric functions to transform the original equation. This process involves substituting x = x'cos(theta) - y'sin(theta) and y = x'sin(theta) + y'cos(theta) into the equation.

5. Can you rotate an ellipse by any angle?

Yes, you can rotate an ellipse by any angle using the appropriate transformation equations. The rotation angle determines the coefficients of the x and y terms in the new equation, reflecting the rotated ellipse's orientation.