How Does Scattering Angle Affect Light Polarization?

In summary, the conversation discusses the degree of polarization in light scattered at an angle \theta to an incident beam of unpolarized radiation. The formula for the degree of polarization, \Pi, is given as \frac{1- \cos^2\theta}{1+ \cos^2 \theta}. The participants also discuss the use of Thomson scattering and Malus' law to calculate the intensity of the scattered light, and the relationship between intensity and amplitude. They ultimately conclude that the correct result for the degree of polarization is \frac{1 - \cos^2 \theta}{1 + \cos^2 \theta}.
Orbital

Homework Statement

A beam of unpolarized radiation is incident upon an electron. Show that the degree of polarization in the light scattered at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] to the incident beam is [itex]\Pi[/itex] where

[tex]\Pi = \frac{1- \cos^2\theta}{1+ \cos^2 \theta}[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution
This is a Thomson scattering and the polarization is linear so I guess Malus' law must be used, i.e.

[tex]I = I_0 \cos^2 \theta[/tex].

I'm interpreting the degree of polarization as

[tex]\Pi = \frac{I_{max} - I_{min}}{I_{max} + I_{min}}[/tex]

but I cannot get the correct result.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it correct that the intensity is related to the amplitude as [itex]I \propto A^2[/itex] and the incoming amplitude is related to the scattered amplitude as [itex] A' = A \cos \theta[/itex] so that the scattered intensity is [itex]I_s = A^2 \cos^2 \theta[/itex] and the degree of polarization becomes
[tex]\Pi = \frac{I - I_s}{I + I_s} =\frac{A^2 (1 - \cos^2 \theta)}{A^2 (1 + \cos^2 \theta)} = \frac{1 - \cos^2 \theta}{1 + \cos^2 \theta}[/tex]?

You are correct in using Malus' law for this problem. However, the degree of polarization is defined as the ratio of the intensity of the polarized light to the total intensity of the incident light. In this case, the total intensity is given by I_0 and the polarized intensity is given by I = I_0 \cos^2 \theta. Therefore, the degree of polarization can be calculated as:

\Pi = \frac{I}{I_0} = \frac{I_0 \cos^2 \theta}{I_0} = \cos^2 \theta.

This is equivalent to the equation given in the homework statement:

\Pi = \frac{1- \cos^2\theta}{1+ \cos^2 \theta}.

So, the degree of polarization in the light scattered at an angle \theta is indeed \Pi as given in the homework statement.

Related to How Does Scattering Angle Affect Light Polarization?

What is degree of polarization?

Degree of polarization is a measure of the amount of polarization in a light wave. It is a dimensionless quantity that ranges from 0 (completely unpolarized) to 1 (fully polarized).

How is degree of polarization measured?

Degree of polarization can be measured using a polarimeter, which is an instrument that measures the polarization state of a light wave. It works by passing the light through a polarizing filter and then analyzing the resulting intensity of the light.

What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the orientation of the electric field of a light wave, which can be either horizontal or vertical. Circular polarization, on the other hand, refers to the direction of the electric field, which rotates in a circular motion.

What are some real-world applications of degree of polarization?

Degree of polarization is used in many fields, including optics, material science, and astronomy. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, where it is important to control and measure the polarization of light in optical fibers.

How does degree of polarization affect the quality of imaging?

Degree of polarization can have a significant impact on the quality of imaging, especially in applications such as microscopy and remote sensing. Polarization can enhance contrast and reduce glare, resulting in sharper and clearer images.