Orientation of Major Axis for polarized light

In summary, the orientation of the major axis for polarized light refers to the direction in which the electric field of the light wave is oscillating. This orientation is an important factor in determining the properties and behavior of polarized light, such as its intensity and the angle at which it passes through polarizing filters. The orientation of the major axis can also be changed through the use of devices such as wave plates and polarizers, making it a valuable tool in various fields such as optics, microscopy, and telecommunications.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Consider the Jones vector: $$\begin{pmatrix}A \\Be^{i \delta}\end{pmatrix}$$ For the following cases, what is the orientation of the major axis, and
what is the ellipticity of the light? Case I: ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}; \delta = 0;## Case II: ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}; \delta = \frac{\pi}{2};## Case III: ##A = B = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}; \delta = \frac{\pi}{4}##
Relevant Equations
$$\alpha = \frac{1}{2}tan^{-1}(\frac{2 A B cos(\delta)}{A^2-B^2})$$
$$E_{\alpha}=|E_{eff}|\sqrt{A^2 cos^2(\alpha) + B^2 sin^2(\alpha) + 2 A B cos(\delta)sin(2 \alpha)}$$
$$E_{\alpha \pm \frac{pi}{2}}=|E_{eff}|\sqrt{A^2 cos^2(\alpha) + B^2 sin^2(\alpha) - 2 A B cos(\delta)sin(2 \alpha)}$$
Case 1 worked out great, I found it to be linearly polarized light at an angle ##\alpha = \frac{\pi}{4}##, but Case 2 is giving me trouble. As best I can tell, ##\alpha## is undefined in case 2. How do I solve case 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe I figured it out, though I would love confirmation. Since ##cos(\delta) = cos(\frac{\pi}{2})=0## and ## A = B##, we end up with ## E_\alpha = E_{\alpha_\pm+\frac{pi}{2}}##. That means we have circularly polarized light! So of course ##\alpha## is undefined; a circle has no determined axes!

You are correct. Your professor might also want you to say if it is right-hand or left-hand circular polarized. More information can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_calculus
And you can use euler's equation to make the exponential into trig functions and plug in the angle.

stephen8686 said:
You are correct. Your professor might also want you to say if it is right-hand or left-hand circular polarized. More information can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_calculus
And you can use euler's equation to make the exponential into trig functions and plug in the angle.
How can I tell the handedness?

1. What is the orientation of the major axis for polarized light?

The orientation of the major axis for polarized light refers to the direction in which the electric field vector of the light wave is oscillating. This direction is perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the light wave.

2. How is the orientation of the major axis for polarized light determined?

The orientation of the major axis for polarized light can be determined by using a polarizer, which is a material that only allows light waves with a specific orientation of the electric field to pass through. By rotating the polarizer, the orientation of the major axis for polarized light can be changed until the light is completely blocked.

3. What is the significance of the orientation of the major axis for polarized light?

The orientation of the major axis for polarized light is important because it determines the properties of the polarized light. For example, the orientation of the major axis can affect the intensity, color, and direction of the polarized light.

4. Can the orientation of the major axis for polarized light be changed?

Yes, the orientation of the major axis for polarized light can be changed by passing the light through different polarizers or by using devices such as wave plates or quarter-wave plates. These devices can manipulate the orientation of the electric field and change the polarization of the light.

5. What are some applications of controlling the orientation of the major axis for polarized light?

The ability to control the orientation of the major axis for polarized light has many practical applications. It is used in LCD screens, 3D glasses, polarized sunglasses, and in various scientific and medical instruments. It is also important in the study of materials and their optical properties.