How Does the Deutsch-Josza Algorithm Determine Function Constancy?

• Thread starter Emil_M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
Summary: In summary, the conversation discusses a general function that is not necessarily constant or balanced. The Deutsch-Josza algorithm is then used to calculate the probabilities of the function being constant or balanced. The expression for P(constant) is correct, but the expression for P(balanced) needs to take into account that the function is balanced and use the correct term (-1)^(sum_{k=1}^n x_k * y_k).
Emil_M

Homework Statement

Consider a general function ##f:\{0,1\}^n \rightarrow \{0,1\}## (not necessarily constant or balanced). The function gives ##f(x)=0## for a portion##z## of the different possible inputs ##x\in\{0,1\}^n##, and ##f(x)=1## for the rest of the inputs. Consider that we construct the Deutsch-Josza algorithm for this function. Calculate the probability, that the algorithm gives the answer "The function is constant" and the probability that it gives "The function is balanced".

##f(x)## is balanced= the number of inputs for which the function takes values ##0## and ##1## are the same .
##f(x)## is balanced= ##f(x)=0## for all inputs or ##f(x)=1## for all inputs.

Homework Equations

At the end of the Deutsch-Josza algorithm, the wave function is in the sate
[tex]
|\psi\rangle=\sum_{y\in \{0,1\}^n} \left( \frac{1}{2^n} \sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n} (-1)^{f(x)+x\cdot y} \right)
[/tex]
where ##x\cdot y= \sum_{k=1}^n x_k y_k \;(\mod 2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

The amplitude associated with the classical state ##|0^n\rangle## is

[tex]
\alpha=\frac{1}{2^n}\sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n} (-1)^{f(x)}
[/tex]

Thus
[tex]\begin{align*}
P(constant)&=\lvert \frac{1}{2^n} \sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n, i=1}^z (-1)^{f_0(x)}+\frac{1}{2^n} \sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n, j=1}^{2^n-z} (-1)^{f_1(x)}\rvert^2\\
&=\lvert \frac{1}{2^n} \left(z-2^n+z\right)\rvert^2=\lvert\frac{2z-2^n}{2^n}\rvert^2
\end{align*}
[/tex]However, I struggle finding the expression for ##P(balanced)##.

My attempt is finding the classical state ##|1^n\rangle##:

[tex]\begin{align*}
P(balanced)&= \lvert( \frac{1}{2^n} \sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n} (-1)^{f(x)+\sum_{k=1}^n x_k}\rvert^2\\
&=\lvert \frac{1}{2^n}\sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n, i=1}^z (-1)^{\sum_{ k=1}^n x_k} + \frac{1}{2^n}\sum_{x\in \{0,1\}^n, j=1}^{2^n-z} (-1)^{1+\sum_{k=1}^n x_k}\rvert^2

\end{align*}[/tex]

This should be ##1## for ##z=\frac{2^n}{n}## and ##0## for ##z=2^n##. However, I don't think this result is correct.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I have reviewed your solution and I have a few suggestions to help you improve it.

Firstly, your expression for P(constant) is correct. However, for P(balanced), you have not taken into account the fact that the function f(x) is balanced. This means that for every input x, the value of f(x) is either 0 or 1. Therefore, the sum over x in your expression should only include inputs for which f(x) = 0 or f(x) = 1.

Also, in your expression for P(balanced), you have used the term (-1)^(sum_{k=1}^n x_k), which is incorrect. The correct term should be (-1)^(sum_{k=1}^n x_k * y_k), where y is the input that we are checking for balance. This is because in the Deutsch-Josza algorithm, we are checking whether the function f(x) is balanced or constant for a specific input y.

Taking these corrections into account, the correct expression for P(balanced) is:

P(balanced) = |(1/2^n) * sum_{x in {0,1}^n, f(x) = 0 or 1} (-1)^(f(x) + sum_{k=1}^n x_k * y_k)|^2

I hope this helps you to find the correct solution. Good luck with your studies!

Related to How Does the Deutsch-Josza Algorithm Determine Function Constancy?

What is the Deutsch-Josza algorithm?

The Deutsch-Josza algorithm is a quantum algorithm designed to solve a specific problem known as the Deutsch-Josza problem. It was created by David Deutsch and Richard Josza in 1992.

How does the Deutsch-Josza algorithm work?

The algorithm uses a quantum computer and the principles of quantum superposition and interference to efficiently determine whether a function is constant or balanced. This is done by applying a series of quantum gates and measurements to a set of qubits.

What is the purpose of the Deutsch-Josza algorithm?

The main purpose of the Deutsch-Josza algorithm is to demonstrate the power of quantum computing and its ability to solve certain problems faster than classical computers. It also has potential applications in cryptography and error correction.

What is the difference between the Deutsch-Josza algorithm and the classical algorithm?

The classical algorithm for solving the Deutsch-Josza problem would require evaluating the function for all possible inputs, while the quantum algorithm only requires one evaluation. This makes the quantum algorithm significantly faster for this particular problem.

What are the limitations of the Deutsch-Josza algorithm?

The Deutsch-Josza algorithm is limited to solving the Deutsch-Josza problem and cannot be applied to other problems. It also requires a quantum computer, which is currently not widely available. Additionally, it is sensitive to errors and noise in the quantum system, which can affect the accuracy of the results.