How does the presence of a cube resistor affect current flow in a circuit?

In summary,The voltage across E and B is 2A (6/3 because there are three wires the current can go to), but this does not seem to be correct.Calculate the voltage across E and B. What do you think the voltage at F is then? (Think symmetry.)Probably because guessing is no substitution for writing loop or node equations.
johnio09
Homework Statement
I am given this cube of resistors, each with the same resistance of 4 Ω. The current that enters at E and leaves B is 6 A. I have found that the equivalent resistance is 3 Ω. However, I am unsure of how to find the current through the resistor between E and F.

Note that there are resistors between each of the two letters in the image.
Relevant Equations
Kirchoff's Laws
Screen Shot 2023-03-23 at 9.23.25 PM.png

I would think that it is 2 A (6/3 because there are three wires the current can go to), but this does not seem to be correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the voltage across E and B. What do you think the voltage at F is then? (Think symmetry.)

johnio09 said:
I would think that it is 2 A (6/3 because there are three wires the current can go to), but this does not seem to be correct.
Probably because guessing is no substitution for writing loop or node equations.

johnio09 said:
because there are three wires the current can go to
But they are not equivalent. Having fixed B and E as the pair of interest, EA and EF are equivalent, but a path starting EH has further to go.
You do not say how you found the resistance to be 3Ω. Using the method that is obvious to me, it easy to determine what fraction of the current flows in each path.

Yes. Guessing is pointless.

OTOH, looking for symmetry to simplify things before you write the equations makes problems like this a lot simpler.

It's hard for me to think in 3D for this stuff. If the answer isn't obvious, the first thing I'll do is redraw the schematic as a planer (2D) network making it as symmetric as possible.

Frankly, I really dislike this sort of quiz question. There's no reason this needs to be a cube, it's an unnecessary trick IMO. In fact the planer diagram doesn't even have wires that cross. In my 30+ years as a practicing analog EE, I've drawn and solved lots of networks. I don't ever recall 3D geometry being a part of a circuit network problem. Yes, you can invent some, they do exist, but it's a rare thing that a good EE can solve somehow, even without practice.

This is a great example of the sort of electronics question you'll see in a physics class, but probably never in an EE class.

DaveE said:
Yes. Guessing is pointless.

OTOH, looking for symmetry to simplify things before you write the equations makes problems like this a lot simpler.
Agree ! Old Dutch expression: laziness makes inventive...

It's hard for me to think in 3D for this stuff. If the answer isn't obvious, the first thing I'll do is redraw the schematic as a planer (2D) network making it as symmetric as possible.
I think that's the core of this exercise. More brain gymnastics than anything else. And mentally flattening the cube is so much fun ! I can't resist to post this spoiler:

1679657406920.png

Frankly, I really dislike this sort of quiz question. There's no reason this needs to be a cube, it's an unnecessary trick IMO. In fact the planer diagram doesn't even have wires that cross. In my 30+ years as a practicing analog EE, I've drawn and solved lots of networks. I don't ever recall 3D geometry being a part of a circuit network problem. Yes, you can invent some, they do exist, but it's a rare thing that a good EE can solve somehow, even without practice.

This is a great example of the sort of electronics question you'll see in a physics class, but probably never in an EE class.
Again: agree. But the world is so much greater than just EE :smile:

##\ ##

Likes phinds and DaveE
Also note that resistors that have no voltage drop across them also have no current through them and can effectively be removed from the network for analysis. It does make a different network, but it has the same solution. This is a problem that can be solved with no equations.

1. What is current in a cube resistor?

The current in a cube resistor refers to the flow of electric charge through the resistor, which is a passive electrical component that resists the flow of current.

2. How is current calculated in a cube resistor?

Current in a cube resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R. This means that the higher the resistance of the resistor, the lower the current will be.

3. What factors affect the current in a cube resistor?

The current in a cube resistor is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. Additionally, the material and size of the resistor can also impact the current.

4. Can the current in a cube resistor be changed?

Yes, the current in a cube resistor can be changed by adjusting the voltage or resistance in the circuit. For example, increasing the voltage or decreasing the resistance will result in a higher current, while decreasing the voltage or increasing the resistance will result in a lower current.

5. What is the relationship between current and power in a cube resistor?

The relationship between current and power in a cube resistor can be described using the equation P = I^2 * R, where P is power, I is current, and R is resistance. This means that as the current increases, the power dissipated by the resistor also increases, and vice versa.