How Does Turbulence Restore the Poloidal Magnetic Field in Solar Reversals?

In summary, the alpha/omega dynamo model explains Joy's law and Hale's law by twisting the toroidal magnetic field into a poloidal field through helical turbulence. This turbulence is caused by convection in a rotating frame. However, the terms "poloidal" and "toroidal" may be misleading and the two fields could be better associated with the major and minor axes of a torus. Magnetism in a plasma always wants to be at right angles to its own motion, causing instability and constantly changing between poloidal and toroidal fields. This instability is what allows the magnetic field to become poloidal again after it has become toroidal due to differential rotation, with the opposite polarity compared to the beginning of the cycle. However
astrolollo
Hello everyone

I have a question: I know what alpha/omega dinamo is, and I think I have understood how this model explains Joy's law and Hale's law, but I don't get how it allows the magnetic field to become poloidal again (after having become toroidal due to differential rotation) and with the opposite polarity with respect to the beginning of the cycle.

Thanks everyone

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Given we have never observed any obvious consequences of a 'magnetic reversal' in this, or any other solar system, there is room to doubt it is a significant factor.

astrolollo said:
Hello everyone

I have a question: I know what alpha/omega dinamo is, and I think I have understood how this model explains Joy's law and Hale's law, but I don't get how it allows the magnetic field to become poloidal again (after having become toroidal due to differential rotation) and with the opposite polarity with respect to the beginning of the cycle.

Thanks everyone

I'm working on this. I'll report back if I can figure it out.

astrolollo said:
Hello everyone

Thanks everyone
The toroidal field can be twisted by the helical turbulence (associated with convection in a rotating frame) to give back a field in the poloidal plane.

-- Astrophysics for Physicists, by A.R. Choudhuri.​

In my opinion the "poloidal" and "toroidal" terms are unfortunate. IMO the two fields would be better associated with the major and minor axes of a torus. But this nomenclature ain't going to change.

Why doesn't it find an equilibrium? It's because magnetism is essentially a sideways force. Like Prince's mother, she's never satisfied. Magnetism in a plasma always wants to be sideways of whatever it is doing at the time.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Given we have never observed any obvious consequences of a 'magnetic reversal' in this, or any other solar system, there is room to doubt it is a significant factor.

Chronos
he/she's referring to the reversals of the 11 and 22 year solar magnetic reversals that of course have been well studied

The point remains, are there any observed affects of significance? I think not.

Chronos said:
Are not sunspots related to the solar magnetic cycle?

Likes davenn
Chronos said:

yes lots of observed effects

do you not follow the solar cycle and its effects on Earth ??

but that is still irrelevant as far as the original Q is concerned
you are taking the thread off topic

Likes Dotini
@Hornbein

Ok, but how does this turbulence restore the polodial field? This is written everywhere but no one explains HOW this happens

astrolollo said:
@Hornbein

Ok, but how does this turbulence restore the polodial field? This is written everywhere but no one explains HOW this happens

I don't really know. Might I suggest you read that book? I haven't gotten around to it yet.

But if you want the cheap stuff from somebody with a weak grasp on the subject, the way it works is that magnetohydrodynamics is fundamentally unstable. The moving plasma induces a force on itself at right angles to the way it is moving. So it ain't never satisfied. If its toroidal it wants to be poloidal, and vice versa. At least, so I gather.

1. What is a solar magnetic field reversal?

A solar magnetic field reversal is a phenomenon that occurs approximately every 11 years, where the polarity of the sun's magnetic field flips. This means that the north and south magnetic poles switch places, resulting in a complete reversal of the sun's magnetic field.

2. How is a solar magnetic field reversal detected?

A solar magnetic field reversal is detected by observing changes in the sun's magnetic field, specifically the polarity of sunspots. As the sun's magnetic field changes, the polarity of sunspots will also change, providing evidence of a reversal.

3. What causes a solar magnetic field reversal?

The exact cause of a solar magnetic field reversal is not fully understood, but it is believed to be the result of complex interactions between the sun's plasma and its magnetic field. These interactions create a "twisting" motion in the sun's magnetic field, eventually leading to a reversal.

4. How long does a solar magnetic field reversal last?

A solar magnetic field reversal typically takes about 11 years to complete, with the sun's magnetic field gradually weakening and then strengthening again. However, the exact duration can vary, and there have been instances where the reversal has taken longer or occurred earlier than expected.

5. What are the effects of a solar magnetic field reversal on Earth?

A solar magnetic field reversal can have some effects on Earth, such as an increase in solar activity and changes in the intensity of the sun's magnetic field at Earth's poles. However, these effects are relatively minor and do not pose any significant threat to our planet.