How exactly does chemotaxis work?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Dawgy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, chemotaxis is a form of behavior in which cells move towards or away from a source of a chemical. This process is used by both bacteria and immune cells, but the mechanisms involved are more complex in eukaryotes. Bacterial chemotaxis involves mutations in genes related to flagella, sensing of chemical concentration, and signalling, while eukaryotic chemotaxis is part of the immune response and involves multiple steps and processes. Further research and resources are available to better understand this complex process.
Dawgy
TL;DR Summary
I'm looking for an in depth understanding of chemotaxis
I recently saw a video online of a white blood cell taking out a bacterium. This engaged my curiosity and I wanted to know why the WBC and bacterium behave the way they do. I learned about chemotaxis, but none of the explanations I have found satisfy my curiosity. What exactly is happening between the receptors and attractants/repellents? Why does the attractant or repellent cause the receptor to behave in a certain way?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I want to give you an answer you can understand. What you saw was an immune response in action.

Anyone reading this who knows inflammation and immune responses will agree this is not the most accurate explanation available. But you will get the idea in spite of the anthropomorphized answer.

The complexity of that operation is pretty large. It is part of inflammation. Which is usually an ongoing process, that for simplicity, has cells bursting and/or leaving behind attractant chemicals for some other buddies that act like vacuum cleaners. I think you were watching one of the cleaner cells ingest another cell that probably had been painted with an "eat me" chemical signal, :smile:

Chemotaxis means movement of a cell toward (or away from) a source of a chemical. Cells in an aqueous environment usually swim with flagella. This is one way they can move. There are others. The biochemistry of movement is not trivial. And not all suited for a for forums like PF.

At one end of the reference book spectrum there is a science comic:
Science Comics: Plagues: The Microscopic Battlefield
Part of: Science Comics (20 Books) | by Falynn Koch | Aug 29, 2017

A little further up the food chain:
How the Immune System Works (The How it Works Series)
Part of: The How it Works Series (4 Books) | by Lauren M. Sompayrac | Apr 15, 2019

College, a bit dated
The Immune System, 4th Edition
by Peter Parham | Oct 1, 2014

NIH has immunology study section for scientists and physicians:

Google for "nih immunology study sections" - there are lots of them

For world class animations showing movement based on biochemical processes at the protein level see: https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-726/

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
At first I resisted answering this question because it is as @jim mcnamara said it is very complex, especially in eukaryotes (the case with the immune system).
Chemotaxis is a form of behavior. Moving upgradient in a chemical concentration It can take different forms in different organisms.

Bacterial chemotaxis is much simpler that that involved in the immune response. Mutations affecting the process have been collected in bacteria which have helped to reveal how it works.
Bacteria can move in a direction or tumble and move forward in some other (random-ish) direction. If they are moving downgradient (in an undesired direction) it will tumble more frequently, until it starts going upgradient, in which case it tumbles less frequently.
The mutations have identified the genes involved. The proteins identified are involved in flagella function (bacterial flagella are quite different from eukaryotic flagella), the sensing of the chemical concentration, and the signalling from the sensors to the flagella.

This is not how it works with the much more complex immune cells, but it is chemotaxis.

Here is a wikipedia chemotaxis article that covers both bacterial and eukaryotic chemotaxis.

Likes pinball1970

What is chemotaxis?

Chemotaxis is the movement of cells or organisms in response to chemical signals in their environment. It is a crucial process for many biological functions, such as immune response, wound healing, and bacterial movement.

How does chemotaxis work?

Chemotaxis works through a series of steps involving chemical detection, signal transduction, and cell movement. When a chemical signal is detected by a receptor on the cell's surface, it triggers a signaling pathway that leads to changes in the cell's cytoskeleton, allowing it to move towards or away from the source of the signal.

What are the types of chemotaxis?

There are two main types of chemotaxis: positive and negative. Positive chemotaxis is when cells move towards the source of a chemical signal, while negative chemotaxis is when cells move away from the source.

What factors can affect chemotaxis?

Chemotaxis can be affected by various factors, including the concentration and gradient of the chemical signal, the sensitivity and number of receptors on the cell's surface, and the strength of the signaling pathway. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and the presence of other chemicals can also influence chemotaxis.

What is the importance of chemotaxis?

Chemotaxis is essential for many biological processes, including the immune response, tissue repair, and bacterial movement. It also plays a crucial role in the development and functioning of various organisms, such as the migration of cells during embryonic development and the navigation of sperm towards the egg during fertilization.