How fast is ball thrown up to come down in 2 seconds

In summary, the problem asks for the initial velocity needed for a ball to take 2 seconds to return to the same level when tossed straight up. By understanding that the acceleration of the ball is the same going up and coming down, and that the velocity at maximum height is 0m/s, it is determined that the initial velocity must be equal to the acceleration multiplied by the time it takes for the ball to reach maximum height (1 second). Therefore, the initial velocity must be 9.8m/s.
David Earnsure

Homework Statement

Ignoring air drag, how fast must you toss a ball straight up for it to take 2 seconds to return to same level you threw it from.

1. 20 m/s
2. 7.5 m/s
3. 15 m/s
4. 5 m/s
5. 10 m/s

Homework Equations

vf = vi + a x t

The Attempt at a Solution

To me this problem seems unsolvable as I have no idea about the distance the ball needs to travel, all I have is total time (2 seconds) and it acceleration on the way down, as if the ball is tossed upwards its acceleration will be different to - 9 .8m/s^2 ( I think?).

I don't want to be given the answer I just want to be pushed into the right mindset of thinking.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
David Earnsure said:
as if the ball is tossed upwards its acceleration will be different to - 9 .8m/s^2

No, the acceleration of the ball will be the same going up as it is coming down. Both equals to 10ms-2.
To see why, ask yourself what forces are acting on the ball during its travel and equate it to ma (Newton's 2nd Law)

There's no need for calculations in this question. Intuitively, if the acceleration on its way up and down is the same, what does that tell you about the time it takes to travel up to its maximum height and the time that it takes to come back down to its original level?

That should set you thinking on what the throwing speed should be (with an understanding that the speed of the ball at maximum height is 0m/s, obviously).

Oh thanks, that's actually really simple!

If it was thrown up at 10m/s the force of gravity on the ball would reduce that speed to 0m/s after one second, once is comes to 0m/s its reached its peak and would then fall accelerating at 10m/s^2 after one second reaching a speed of 10m/s it would be back at the same height it was thrown at only taking two seconds.

Yup well done! :D

JeremyG said:
No, the acceleration of the ball will be the same going up as it is coming down. Both equals to 10ms-2.
To see why, ask yourself what forces are acting on the ball during its travel and equate it to ma (Newton's 2nd Law)

There's no need for calculations in this question. Intuitively, if the acceleration on its way up and down is the same, what does that tell you about the time it takes to travel up to its maximum height and the time that it takes to come back down to its original level?

That should set you thinking on what the throwing speed should be (with an understanding that the speed of the ball at maximum height is 0m/s, obviously).
How would you do this question with one of the kinematics equations? I'm guessing the vf=0, d=0, a=-9.8, t=2 and you would be solving for initial velocity, correct?

hamza2095 said:
How would you do this question with one of the kinematics equations? I'm guessing the vf=0, d=0, a=-9.8, t=2 and you would be solving for initial velocity, correct?
Except, if you throw the ball in the air and then catch it when it comes back down, vf ≠ 0. Where might the velocity of the ball be zero after it is released?

SteamKing said:
Except, if you throw the ball in the air and then catch it when it comes back down, vf ≠ 0. Where might the velocity of the ball be zero after it is released?
Wouldn't the velocity after you catch it be 0 because it's stopped moving? Although I do know for sure that the final velocity is 0 when it's reached its peak

hamza2095 said:
Wouldn't the velocity after you catch it be 0 because it's stopped moving?
That's the same as saying the velocity of the ball is zero while you're holding it but before you throw it.

It's technically true, but it is information which is not useful to solving the problem.
Although I do know for sure that the final velocity is 0 when it's reached its peak
Now, you have something you can work with.

SteamKing said:
That's the same as saying the velocity of the ball is zero while you're holding it but before you throw it.

It's technically true, but it is information which is not useful to solving the problem.

Now, you have something you can work with.
Ohh okay, so is this correct?
Vi = Vf - a*t
= 0m/s - (-9.8m/s^2*1s )
= 9.8m/s (t = 1 because the acceleration is uniform, so, the time it takes to go to the top from the hand, is the same as the time it takes going from the top to the hand, so you divide the time given by 2)

Last edited:
hamza2095 said:
Vi = Vf - a*t
= 0m/s - (-9.8m/s^2*1s )
= 9.8m/s (t = 1 because the acceleration is uniform, so, the time it takes to go to the top from the hand, is the same as the time it takes going from the top to the hand, so you divide the time given by 2)
That's correct.

hamza2095 said:
Vi = Vf - a*t
= 0m/s - (-9.8m/s^2*1s )

dv/dt=a
Up as positive
(-v-v)/2=-9.8
v=9.8m/s

1. How is the speed of a ball thrown up calculated?

The speed of a ball thrown up can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time the ball takes to reach its highest point.

2. What is the average speed of a ball thrown up to come down in 2 seconds?

The average speed of a ball thrown up to come down in 2 seconds can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. In this case, the total distance traveled is zero (since the ball returns to its starting point) and the total time taken is 2 seconds. Therefore, the average speed would be 0 m/s.

3. How does air resistance affect the speed of a ball thrown up?

Air resistance or drag force can affect the speed of a ball thrown up by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This force increases as the velocity of the ball increases, thus causing the ball to have a lower speed when it comes back down.

4. Can the speed of a ball thrown up change during its flight?

Yes, the speed of a ball thrown up can change during its flight due to the effects of air resistance and gravity. As the ball rises, its speed decreases due to the pull of gravity. When it reaches its highest point, its speed becomes zero before it starts to fall back down, accelerating due to the force of gravity.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its speed when thrown up?

The mass of the ball does not affect its speed when thrown up, as the acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass. However, a heavier ball may experience slightly more air resistance, causing it to have a slightly lower speed when it comes back down compared to a lighter ball.