An Involved Related Rate Problem

• Thread starter Wisco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the tightrope is 30 ft above the ground and 50 ft apart between two buildings, while a tightrope walker walks at a constant rate of 2 ft/sec from point A to point B, illuminated by a spotlight 70 ft above point A. The shadow of the walker's feet moves at a different rate than the walker herself, and can be solved using simple proportions. The shadow's location can be found using similar triangles and related rates can be used to find the rates for parts 1 and 3.
Wisco

Homework Statement

A tightrope is stretched 30ft. above the ground between two buildings, which are 50 ft apart. apart. A tightrope walker, walking at a constant rate of 2ft/sec from point A to point B, is illuminated by a spotlight 70ft above point A.

1.) How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving along the ground when she is midway between the buildings?

2.) How far from point A is the tightrope walker when the shadow of her feet reaches the base of the 2nd building

3.) How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving up the 2nd building when she 10 ft from point B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) Is this a trick question? Maybe I'm visualizing the problem incorrectly but what reason is there to believe that the shadow is moving at a different rate then the tightrope walker--shouldn't it be 2ft/sec?

2.) The distance between the buildings if 50ft, and the tightrope is 30ft from the ground plus the height of the spotlight making it 100ft in total. Pythagorean theorem gives me a distance from the spotlight of about (√1250) ft. Now that I have this number, and knowing that the triangle formed by the spotlight, walker and point at which the tightrope meets the first building is similar to that formed by the shadow, spotlight and ground, I should be able to solve for an angle and find the distance between the the walker and first building...

...Except that this involves some trigonometric identity that I must not know, and that it's a related rate problem--so the derivative should've been taken, right?

3.) I know that the height from the ground to the building is 30ft and that it's 10ft across to the tightrope so I can solve for the distance from ground to tightrope by Pythagorean theorem. I also know that the rate is 2.0 ft/sec from tightrope to second building and that the height from building to tightrope is 30ft so I can get:

10ft(2.0 ft/sec) + 30ft(0 ft/sec) = (√1000)ft(x) ...but I don't think this is the right equation...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wisco said:

Homework Statement

A tightrope is stretched 30ft. above the ground between two buildings, which are 50 ft apart. apart. A tightrope walker, walking at a constant rate of 2ft/sec from point A to point B, is illuminated by a spotlight 70ft above point A.

1.) How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving along the ground when she is midway between the buildings?

2.) How far from point A is the tightrope walker when the shadow of her feet reaches the base of the 2nd building

3.) How fast is the shadow of the tightrope walker's feet moving up the 2nd building when she 10 ft from point B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) Is this a trick question? Maybe I'm visualizing the problem incorrectly but what reason is there to believe that the shadow is moving at a different rate then the tightrope walker--shouldn't it be 2ft/sec?

The tightrope walker will be only part of the way from A to B at the time that her shadow reaches the base of the destination building. Therefore, she walks less than 50ft in the same time it takes the shadow to go the entire 50 ft. So of course she moves at a different rate than her shadow.

2.) The distance between the buildings if 50ft, and the tightrope is 30ft from the ground plus the height of the spotlight making it 100ft in total. Pythagorean theorem gives me a distance from the spotlight of about (√1250) ft. Now that I have this number, and knowing that the triangle formed by the spotlight, walker and point at which the tightrope meets the first building is similar to that formed by the shadow, spotlight and ground, I should be able to solve for an angle and find the distance between the the walker and first building...

...Except that this involves some trigonometric identity that I must not know, and that it's a related rate problem--so the derivative should've been taken, right?
You're right about the similar triangles, but this question can be solved with simple proportions, no trigonometry involved.
3.) I know that the height from the ground to the building is 30ft and that it's 10ft across to the tightrope so I can solve for the distance from ground to tightrope by Pythagorean theorem. I also know that the rate is 2.0 ft/sec from tightrope to second building and that the height from building to tightrope is 30ft so I can get:

10ft(2.0 ft/sec) + 30ft(0 ft/sec) = (√1000)ft(x) ...but I don't think this is the right equation...?
Hello Wisco. Welcome to PF ! :smile:

To find the location of the shadow in part 3: Again, this can be done with similar triangles and a proportion.

To find the rates for parts 1 & 3, you will need to use related rates. This will involve derivatives.

Thank You. So if I'm correct, Part 2 is nothing more than (100/50)=(70/x) giving me x=35 correct?

1. What is an involved related rate problem?

An involved related rate problem is a type of calculus problem where the rates of change of two or more related variables are given, and the goal is to find the rate of change of another variable that is indirectly related to the given rates.

2. How do I approach solving an involved related rate problem?

The first step in solving an involved related rate problem is to identify all variables involved and their rates of change. Then, use the given information to set up a relationship between the variables using an appropriate formula or equation. Finally, take the derivative of both sides with respect to time and plug in the given rates to solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an involved related rate problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an involved related rate problem include using the wrong formula or equation, not correctly identifying all variables and their rates of change, and not taking the derivative with respect to time of both sides of the equation. It is also important to carefully plug in the given rates and units to ensure the final answer has the correct units.

4. Can an involved related rate problem have more than one solution?

Yes, an involved related rate problem can have more than one solution. This can happen when the relationship between the variables is not explicitly stated and can be interpreted in different ways. It is important to carefully consider the context of the problem and make sure the solution makes sense in the given scenario.

5. How can I check if my solution to an involved related rate problem is correct?

The best way to check if your solution to an involved related rate problem is correct is to use the given information and plug in the values to see if your solution satisfies the given rates of change. You can also graph the relationship between the variables and see if the solution aligns with the graph. Additionally, checking the units of the solution is important to ensure it makes sense in the given context.