How fast will 120 psi travel through a 3 inch tube in mph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the speed of air traveling at 120 PSI through a 3 inch tube and how this pressure and flow are related. The speaker explains that flow is a different variable and that a pressure gradient must exist for air to flow. They also mention that pressure gradients travel at sonic speeds and suggest using a large reservoir and valve for more accurate results. The topic of a potato gun is also briefly mentioned.
Joey Bradshaw
I need help finding out how fast 120 psi will travel though a 3 inch tube in mph. My partners are counting on me and thanks to anyone that can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joey Bradshaw said:
I need help finding out how fast 120 psi will travel though a 3 inch tube in mph. My partners are counting on me and thanks to anyone that can help me.
When you say 120 PSI you are talking about a pressure. Flow is a different variable. For instance you could say I have a tube with 120 PSI in it, say 3 inch diameter and 4 feet long and it is enclosed so that is the total volume and we open a valve quickly to another tube say also 3 inch diameter and 4 feet long and at a vacuum level of 1 millitorr, you could do a speed calculation but just a tube with 120 PSI in it does not indicate flow so the speed would be zero there.

Also, for there to be a flow, there has to be a place with say 120 PSI and another place with say 100PSI, that would flow from high to low PSI and the difference of 20 PSI would be the variable to use to calculate air velocity, or water or oil, whatever.

Last edited:
"Flow" may not be the proper term, although the air in the pipe does move as it is compressed. Maybe "pressure gradient travel" would be a better term. Not a big deal in any case. First, be aware that pressure gradients travel at roughly sonic speeds so the time intervals will be quite short. And there will be a slight error due to the time it takes for enough air at 120 PSI to fill into the pipe to pressure it up. This can be minimized by using a relatively large reservoir and valve vs. the diameter of the pipe. For example, 1/2" tubing and a 2" ball valve on a 60 gallon reservoir. That's all I can come up with right now.

Potato gun?

It's probably going to depend on details of your valve and container, but for a ballpark estimate, you could start with the speed of sound.

What is PSI?

PSI stands for "pounds per square inch" and is a unit of pressure commonly used in the United States. It is a measure of the amount of force exerted on a given area.

What is the purpose of a school project about PSI?

The purpose of a school project about PSI is to educate students about a unit of pressure that is commonly used in everyday life. This project can also help students understand how pressure is measured and its real-world applications.

What are some examples of PSI in everyday life?

PSI is commonly used in measuring tire pressure, water pressure in plumbing systems, and air pressure in inflatable objects like balloons or sports equipment. It is also used in scuba diving to measure the air pressure in a tank.

How is PSI calculated?

To calculate PSI, you divide the force exerted on a given area by the area itself. This can be represented by the formula PSI = Force/Area. For example, if a force of 100 pounds is exerted on an area of 10 square inches, the PSI would be 10 (100/10 = 10).

Why is it important to understand PSI?

Understanding PSI is important because it is a common unit of pressure used in various industries and everyday life. It can also help us understand the effects of pressure on different objects and how to use it safely and effectively.