How hot will a human body burn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of human corpses burning and the temperature that the fire would reach. The participants mention the use of incinerators and their temperatures, as well as the composition of human tissue and its reaction to fire. They also suggest using a green leaf as a more accurate comparison to a burning human body in a game, and mention the importance of maintaining realism in a game setting.
Nanako
A curious question that's come to my mind, as I'm doing a little research for game development, aiming for realism here.

Assume you have a human corpse, not doused in any special kind of fuel, but wearing cotton/polyester clothing. And you set it alight, to slowly burn over time. I've heard of cases of this happening to humans, and a body can burn away to nothing if there's some fat there to fuel the flames.

But anyways, my question is, how hot would that fire be? And by extension, what temperature would it raise the surroundings to over the time that it burns?

Exact values would be nice, but not necessary, some ballpark figures will do, maybe an analysis of how a human corpse burns

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer the question in the way that you're hoping for (I'll leave that for someone else), but I do know that incinerators are preheated to around 1,100 °F and the bodies come out at a temperature of 1,400-1,800 °F during the cremation process.

I presume that your game is violent. Fun stuff :devil:.

hah, yes it is/.
I'm aware of the temperatures incinerators use, but those also use an external fuel, usually flammable gas of some sort. I'm interested in the temperatures reachable when the corpse is the only fuel used

In real life, bodies rarely burn. Those that do burn do not do so quickly enough to make for an enjoyable spectacle or to heat up their surroundings significantly. Instead of visualizing a bonfire, visualize a candle.

jbriggs444 said:
Instead of visualizing a bonfire, visualize a candle
Yeah, and candle wax is almost exclusively made of hydrocarbons...
I don't know if you have noticed but humans contain a lot of water. ;P

Stupid model time: Imagine a human tissue or something made up of 70 percent water and 30 percent hydrocarbons.
How high would the temperature of the resultant water vapor+carbon dioxide gas be if you magically let all of it react without applying external heat ?
Would that temperature actually be high enough to sustain the chemical reaction ?
You could actually calculate that. The enthalpy of carbon dioxide, water and a general value for a few hydrocarbons as well as the enthalphy of vaporisation for water are not hard to find. If somebody does the calculations feel free to drop the answer.:End of stupid model time.

Maybe imagining a green leaf "burning" is more accurate than both a bonfire and a candle.
Whoever burns people in your game might have to to dry them first :-p.(bleeding them first may help)
I guess there are reasons people collected a lot of extra fuel in order to burn human remains:wink:.

At this point I advise to maybe not ruin everything in order to maintain realism.
Works of "art" don't have to be scientifically accurate.

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Tazerfish said:
Yeah, and candle wax is almost exclusively made of hydrocarbons...
I don't know if you have noticed but humans contain a lot of water. ;P

Stupid model time: Imagine a human tissue or something made up of 70 percent water and 30 percent hydrocarbons.
How high would the temperature of the resultant water vapor+carbon dioxide gas be if you magically let all of it react without applying external heat ?
Would that temperature actually be high enough to sustain the chemical reaction ?
You could actually calculate that. The enthalpy of carbon dioxide, water and a general value for a few hydrocarbons as well as the enthalphy of vaporisation for water are not hard to find. If somebody does the calculations feel free to drop the answer.:End of stupid model time.

Maybe imagining a green leaf "burning" is more accurate than both a bonfire and a candle.
Whoever burns people in your game might have to to dry them first :-p.(or bleed them)
I guess there are reasons people collected a lot of extra fuel in order to burn human remains:wink:.

At this point I advise to maybe not ruin everything in order to maintain realism.
Works of "art" don't have to be scientifically accurate.
Very well said! It is a game, after all. Luckily, our universe isn't situated within a giant dehydrator.

Related to How hot will a human body burn?

1. How hot can a human body get?

The average body temperature of a healthy human is around 98.6°F (37°C). However, the body can increase its temperature in response to illness or infection, and it is possible for the body to reach temperatures as high as 106°F (41°C) in extreme cases.

2. At what temperature does a human body start to burn?

The exact temperature at which a human body starts to burn varies depending on the individual's skin type, age, and overall health. However, it is generally accepted that the skin can sustain burns at temperatures above 111°F (44°C).

3. Is it possible for a human body to reach temperatures high enough to ignite?

No, it is not possible for a human body to reach temperatures high enough to ignite. The ignition point of human skin is around 572°F (300°C), which is much higher than the body's maximum temperature.

4. Can a human body spontaneously combust due to high temperatures?

There is no scientific evidence to support the belief that a human body can spontaneously combust due to high temperatures. Spontaneous human combustion is a rare and unexplained phenomenon that has not been proven to be caused by heat alone.

5. How does the body regulate its temperature to prevent burning?

The body has several mechanisms in place to regulate its temperature and prevent burning. Sweating, for example, helps to cool the body down by evaporation. Blood vessels also dilate to release heat, and shivering can generate heat to warm the body up. The body's internal thermostat, known as the hypothalamus, also plays a crucial role in maintaining a stable body temperature.