How is the cohesive energy in a molecular solid calculated?

In summary, when calculating the cohesive energy in a molecular solid, a summation for the interaction of all the molecules or atoms appears. For noble gases, this interaction is a Van der Waals interaction, and for any two atoms, the interaction potential is given by U=4 \epsilon \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\sigma}{R} \right )^{6} \right ]. The total cohesive energy in the solid is given by U_T=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} 4 \epsilon \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\
Telemachus
When the calculation for the cohesive energy in a molecular solid is carried on, there appears a summation for the interaction of all the molecules or atoms in the solid, (see for example Kittel Introduction to solid state Physics 3rd edition, page 87). For noble gases, this interaction could be a Van der Waals interaction, then for any two atoms the interaction potential is given by

##U=4 \epsilon \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\sigma}{R} \right )^{6} \right ]##.

So the total cohesive energy in the solid will be given by

##U_T=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} 4 \epsilon \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{6} \right ]##

##R_{i,j}=|\vec{r}_i-\vec{r}_j|##.

Now, this double sum can be converted into a single sum, and here is my doubt, which is how the reasoning is made to get that the sum over all i's gives a term of N, you can see this result in the book by Kittel, where besides it is taken a geometrical factor for the distance bewtween atoms, where appears the distance to first neighboors ##R##, so that:

##R_{i,j}=p_{i,j}R##.

But basically my doubt is on this step:

##U_T=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i,j} 4 \epsilon \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{6} \right ]=\frac{N}{2} 4 \epsilon \sum_{j \neq i} \left [ \left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{12}-\left(\frac{\sigma}{R_{i,j}} \right )^{6} \right ]##

Which I interpret that states, for an arbitrary potential between atoms ##u_{i,j}## that:

##\sum_{i,j} u_{i,j}=N \sum_{j\neq i} u_{i,j}##.

That result is the one which I can't understand, I don't know how to get it. I think that it is a fundamental fact to demonstrate this result that ##u_{i,j}=u_{j,i}=u(|\vec{r}_i-\vec{r}_j|)##, but I still don't know how to show that the sum over one index gives N times the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Best to express the term in brackets (where the sigmas and R's are in) as something like U_ij and then manually perform a double sum and collect like terms. You should see the N pop out. Note that for this to work U_ij = U_ji as you stated.

Likes Telemachus
Thanks. I got it. Theres still something. When it is computed the case for ionic solids, there appears a factor of 2N, that I don't know where it comes from. Instead of having the sum:

##U_T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_i \sum_j u_{i,j}=\frac{N}{2} \sum_{j\neq i} u_{i,j}##

It comes a factor of 2:

##U_T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_i \sum_j u_{i,j}=\frac{2N}{2} \sum_{j\neq i} u_{i,j}##

And I don't know why that is.

I would find the factor of 2 to be normal as it is canceled out by the 1/2. The purpose of 1/2 is to eliminate the double counting. This is typical for pair interaction potentials.
If you're comparing with the book, there is a possibility of a typo.

Likes Telemachus
No, its ok. The book just considers N molecules, where each molecule is a pair of ions, that's where it comes from. I was a little bit annoyed because for molecular solids (noble gases) that factor of 2 wasn't taken in account, and for ionic solids it was. But now I get what it means. Thanks.

1. What is cohesive energy calculation?

Cohesive energy calculation is a method used in materials science and chemistry to determine the amount of energy required to break apart a solid material into individual atoms or molecules. It is a measure of the strength of the bonds between particles in a material.

2. Why is cohesive energy calculation important?

Cohesive energy calculation is important because it provides valuable information about the stability and properties of materials. It can help predict the behavior of materials under different conditions and is crucial in the design and development of new materials for various applications.

3. How is cohesive energy calculated?

Cohesive energy is typically calculated using various theoretical methods, such as density functional theory or molecular dynamics simulations. These methods involve solving mathematical equations and considering factors such as atomic interactions, interatomic distances, and electronic structure.

4. What factors can affect cohesive energy?

Several factors can influence cohesive energy, including the type of bonding (ionic, covalent, metallic), the size and shape of the material, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure. Other factors, such as impurities or defects, can also impact the cohesive energy of a material.

5. How is cohesive energy used in practical applications?

Cohesive energy calculations are used in various practical applications, including the development of new materials for industrial use, the design of advanced electronic devices, and the study of phase transitions and material stability. They are also used in fields such as drug discovery, where cohesive energy can help predict the behavior of molecules in biological systems.