How is the direction (vector?) of momentum stored physically

In summary: Thank you for the compliment. I don't think PF votes likes and dislikes.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and the direction in which objects move. It is explained that forces are represented as vectors for convenience in calculations, but they do not carry a specific magnitude and direction. Objects continue to move in a particular direction due to Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that a body will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. There is no particle that carries the direction of motion.
Benwade

Homework Statement

I am not a student, but one poster was kind enough to answer my stupid question last week, and I was wondering if anyone would mind if I posted another stupid question.

When an object is moved in a specific direction, how is the direction of momentum stored or recorded. By this I do not mean how is the vector calculated, but how is the information stored (as a particle?). Also is any research being done into this if the answer is not known.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Absolutely none.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benwade said:

Homework Statement

I am not a student, but one poster was kind enough to answer my stupid question last week, and I was wondering if anyone would mind if I posted another stupid question.

When an object is moved in a specific direction, how is the direction of momentum stored or recorded. By this I do not mean how is the vector calculated, but how is the information stored (as a particle?). Also is any research being done into this if the answer is not known.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Absolutely none.
You're confusing a mathematical model with reality. We represent things like forces as vectors because we find it useful and convenient to make calculations with vectors, not because a 'force' carries around a magnitude and a direction with it all the time. These things like vectors are just numbers.

Things like momentum are also relative to the observer. For example, if you are riding in a elevator with an apple in your pocket, the apple is not moving, relative to your pocket; therefore it has zero momentum. To someone standing outside the elevator, it is clear that the person inside the elevator is moving, with respect to that external frame of reference, and that that person and anything he is carrying has momentum.

SteamKing said:
You're confusing a mathematical model with reality. We represent things like forces as vectors because we find it useful and convenient to make calculations with vectors, not because a 'force' carries around a magnitude and a direction with it all the time. These things like vectors are just numbers.

Things like momentum are also relative to the observer. For example, if you are riding in a elevator with an apple in your pocket, the apple is not moving, relative to your pocket; therefore it has zero momentum. To someone standing outside the elevator, it is clear that the person inside the elevator is moving, with respect to that external frame of reference, and that that person and anything he is carrying has momentum.
My stupidity is getting in the way again. What I am trying to say is much simpler really. Why do objects continue to move in any particular direction? Is there a particle that carries the direction?

Benwade said:
My stupidity is getting in the way again. What I am trying to say is much simpler really. Why do objects continue to move in any particular direction? Is there a particle that carries the direction?
No, the motion of a body is described by Newton's Laws of Motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Specifically, the First Law of Motion states that a body moves at constant velocity unless it is acted on by an external force. The direction of motion of the body changes, depending on where this external force is applied to the body.

SteamKing said:
No, the motion of a body is described by Newton's Laws of Motion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Specifically, the First Law of Motion states that a body moves at constant velocity unless it is acted on by an external force. The direction of motion of the body changes, depending on where this external force is applied to the body.
Thank you so much for your help. How do I upvote you?

Benwade said:
Thank you so much for your help. How do I upvote you?
Thank you for the compliment. I don't think PF votes likes and dislikes.

1. What is momentum and how is it related to direction?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. The direction of an object's momentum is the same as the direction of its velocity.

2. How is momentum stored physically?

Momentum is stored physically as the movement and energy of particles within an object. In simpler terms, it is the result of the object's mass and velocity. The more mass an object has and the faster it is moving, the greater its momentum.

3. Is momentum a vector quantity?

Yes, momentum is a vector quantity. This means that, in addition to having a numerical value, it also has a direction associated with it. This direction is the same as the direction of the object's velocity.

4. Can momentum be changed or transferred?

Yes, momentum can be changed or transferred. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless an external force acts upon it. This means that in a collision or interaction between two objects, momentum can be transferred from one object to another.

5. How does friction affect the direction of momentum?

Friction can affect the direction of momentum by slowing down an object's velocity, which in turn changes the direction of its momentum. Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it can cause a change in an object's momentum if it is strong enough to slow down or stop the object's movement.