How is the Energy Increasing in a Venturi Experiment?

In summary: This formula was given to calculate the total energy. The velosity head is also in meters. As i said before the height of fluid in piezometer tube is equal to p/ρg or pressure=hρg so we have head of fluid in meters plus head of velosity in meters.v²/2g gives meters. m²/s² χ s²/m = meters. My problem is that i can not justify what caused the energy gained in the contraction the only i could say is that there was back pressure that in turn causes an increase in height of piezometer.
lefteris28

Homework Statement

Hi
I have done an experiment applying the bernoulli equation on a venturi tube, according to bernoulli the energy must remain the same. However according to my calculation the energy increases when the tube contracts up to the point of the throat. Can someone explain how it is possible?

Homework Equations

p/ρg + v²/2g = total energy

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculations? It would make it a lot easier to see where the problem is.

jarednjames said:
Can you show your calculations? It would make it a lot easier to see where the problem is.

I can sent my excel file, the problem is that i have to explain how is that possible. Only if there was back pressure would cause an increase in head of fluid and conseqently the total energy.

Attachments

• FLUID MECHANICS.xls
    24.5 KB · Views: 204
Can I ask where you pressure is on that spreadsheet?

Is the experiment horizontal or vertical?

You have "head" in metres, but nothing to give you a pressure in your calculations.

jarednjames said:
Can I ask where you pressure is on that spreadsheet?

Is the experiment horizontal or vertical?

You have "head" in metres, but nothing to give you a pressure in your calculations.

head of fluif plus head of velosity = total energy . The experiment is horizontal.

Well your units are all to pot.

You have head in metres and velocity in m/s which, when added together give you another value in m/s which isn't energy.

jarednjames said:
Well your units are all to pot.

You have head in metres and velocity in m/s which, when added together give you another value in m/s which isn't energy.

The formula we use is that P/ρg + v²/2g +z=total energy
P/ρg= head of fluid v²/2g = head of velocity

lefteris28 said:
The formula we use is that P/ρg + v²/2g +z=total energy
P/ρg= head of fluid v²/2g = head of velocity

Yes, but your units on the spreadsheet don't match this so it's difficult to see what goes where and does what.

jarednjames said:
Yes, but your units on the spreadsheet don't match this so it's difficult to see what goes where and does what.

This formula was given to calculate the total energy. The velosity head is also in meters. As i said before the height of fluid in piezometer tube is equal to p/ρg or pressure=hρg so we have head of fluid in meters plus head of velosity in meters.v²/2g gives meters. m²/s² χ s²/m = meters. My problem is that i can not justify what caused the energy gained in the contraction the only i could say is that there was back pressure that in turn causes an increase in height of piezometer.

Related to How is the Energy Increasing in a Venturi Experiment?

1. What is the purpose of a Venturi experiment lab?

The purpose of a Venturi experiment lab is to demonstrate the principle of fluid flow through a constricted pipe, known as the Venturi effect. This effect shows that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases.

2. What materials are needed for a Venturi experiment lab?

The materials needed for a Venturi experiment lab typically include a Venturi tube, a fluid source, pressure gauges, and a flow meter. Other materials such as tubing, valves, and a manometer may also be used.

3. How does the Venturi tube work in a Venturi experiment lab?

The Venturi tube works by creating a constriction in a pipe, causing the fluid to speed up as it passes through the narrow section. This increase in velocity leads to a decrease in pressure, which can be measured using pressure gauges. The Venturi tube is also designed to minimize turbulence, allowing for accurate measurements.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect has many practical applications, including in carburetors for gasoline engines, atomizers for spray painting, and in medical devices such as nebulizers and oxygen delivery systems. It is also used in wastewater treatment plants and in HVAC systems to control air flow.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a Venturi experiment lab?

Some potential sources of error in a Venturi experiment lab may include inaccurate measurements due to air bubbles in the fluid, changes in atmospheric pressure, and imperfections in the Venturi tube itself. It is important to carefully control and calibrate all equipment to minimize these sources of error.