How is the Van der Waals interaction potential calculated?

In summary: R.In summary, the Van der Waals potential is found by approximating the 1/(R_1,2) terms in a Taylor approximation when R_1,2 >> r, where r is the length of the dipole. The sign (attractive, repulsive) and leading coefficient depend upon the orientation of the two dipoles.
chikou24i
Hello! In Van der Waals interaction, how to prove that : H= - (2*e^2*x1*x2) / R^3 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
chikou24i said:
Hello! In Van der Waals interaction, how to prove that : H= - (2*e^2*x1*x2) / R^3 ?

This looks strange. The attractive part of the Van der Waals (what it looks like you are talking about) goes like 1/R^6, with the polarizabilities in the numerator).
A very complete discussion of the various kinds of forces between atoms/molecules can be found in Hirschfelder, Curtiss and Bird "Molecular Theory of Gases and Liquids"

Likes chikou24i
I'm talking about the Coulomb interaction energy between two harmonic oscillator ( two atoms modelised by two harmonic oscillator)

chikou24i said:
I'm talking about the Coulomb interaction energy between two harmonic oscillator ( two atoms modelised by two harmonic oscillator)

This makes more sense. The 1/R^3 potential is one you get for two dipoles. To find this interaction you can sum the pair wise interactions for point charges on the different dipoles (the attraction between electron 1,2 and proton 1,2 can be ignored, since they are constant - just worry about the electron/proton on atom 1 interacting with the charges on atom 2.)

What you will do is approximate the 1/(R_1,2) terms in a Taylor approximation when R_1,2 >> r, where r is the length of the dipole. You will find that the terms that survive are the ones that look like 1/R^3. The sign (attractive, repulsive) and leading coefficient depend upon the orientation of the two dipoles.

I am nearly positive that Hirschfelder,Curtiss, and Bird show this. Probably a good e&m book will show this, too.

Quantum Defect said:
What you will do is approximate the 1/(R_1,2) terms in a Taylor approximation when R_1,2 >> r, where r is the length of the dipole. You will find that the terms that survive are the ones that look like 1/R^3. The sign (attractive, repulsive) and leading coefficient depend upon the orientation of the two dipoles.
Now you understand me, and this is what I'm looking for if you can help me.

The potential is easiest to see if you set up the two atoms, with the following orientations:

+ -.................... + -

The proton-electron separation in each atom is r, and the proton-proton separation is R (as is the electron-electron separation).

The potential is:

V = -e^2/r - e^2/r + e^2/R + e^2/R - e^2 /(R-r) - e^2/(R+r)

The first two terms are constants (assuming that r is fixed), so let's forget about those.

V = 2e^2/R - e^2/(R-r) - e^2/(R+r)

You are going to rearrange the 1/(R+/-r) into something that you can expand:

1/(R+/-r) = 1/R*(1/[1+/-x]) where x = r/R, a small number.

Use the binomial expansion for 1/(1+x) and 1/(1-x), and plug and chug...

You should find that the largest term looks like:

V = -2*mu^2/R^3, where mu = e*r

Likes chikou24i

Related to How is the Van der Waals interaction potential calculated?

1. What is a Van der Waals interaction?

A Van der Waals interaction is a type of intermolecular force that occurs between neutral molecules. It is caused by the temporary dipoles that are formed due to the random movement of electrons in a molecule.

2. How do Van der Waals forces affect the properties of molecules?

Van der Waals forces can affect the physical properties of molecules, such as their boiling and melting points, as well as their ability to dissolve in certain solvents. These forces also contribute to the stability of certain molecular structures.

3. Are Van der Waals interactions stronger or weaker than other types of intermolecular forces?

Van der Waals forces are generally weaker than other types of intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding or covalent bonding. However, they can still play a significant role in determining the overall behavior of molecules.

4. Can Van der Waals forces be manipulated or controlled?

While Van der Waals forces cannot be directly manipulated, they can be affected by changing the conditions in which molecules are present. For example, temperature and pressure can influence the strength of Van der Waals interactions between molecules.

5. How are Van der Waals forces related to the size and shape of molecules?

The strength of Van der Waals interactions is directly related to the size and shape of molecules. Larger molecules with more surface area tend to have stronger Van der Waals forces, as there is more opportunity for temporary dipoles to form.