How long does it take to pass out from blood loss and bleed out?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood Loss
In summary, the amount of time a rescuer has before the victim dies from blood loss can vary greatly depending on the severity of the injury and the individual's overall health. However, if the victim experiences a vasovagal reaction and hits their head, it is possible for them to have no recollection of the events leading up to their injury.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I'm writing a story in which someone passes out from blood loss before they are found and saved. How long might a rescuer have before the victim dies?
Hi everyone

I'm writing a story in which someone passes out from blood loss before they are found and saved. How long might a rescuer have before the victim dies? I'm guessing there might be a lot of variables here, but I'm just looking for the longest possible realistic delay.

Also, if someone passes out from blood loss, would it be possible for them to have no recollection of the events leading up to their injury? Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Someone could just freek out (psychologically) at the sight of blood and faint, with no real physiological problems, and stay alive a long time.

Likes Darkmisc
It's like a tire. The outcome depends on how fast the leak is.

Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
Summary:: I'm writing a story in which someone passes out from blood loss before they are found and saved. How long might a rescuer have before the victim dies?

I'm writing a story in which someone passes out from blood loss before they are found and saved. How long might a rescuer have before the victim dies? I'm guessing there might be a lot of variables here, but I'm just looking for the longest possible realistic delay.

Also, if someone passes out from blood loss, would it be possible for them to have no recollection of the events leading up to their injury?
If you want it to be a long time and include some memory loss, you could have them get cut somehow, see their bleeding and pass out from a Vasovagal reaction:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/symptoms-causes/syc-20350527

If they hit their head when they fall to the ground, that could result in a concussion or more serious brain injury, which could result in temporary or permanent memory loss.

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc and BillTre

1. How long does it take to pass out from blood loss?

The time it takes to pass out from blood loss varies depending on several factors, such as the amount of blood lost, the rate of blood loss, and the individual's overall health. In general, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes for someone to pass out from blood loss.

2. How long does it take to bleed out?

The time it takes to bleed out also depends on the amount and rate of blood loss. On average, a person can lose up to 1.5 liters of blood before experiencing severe symptoms. However, it is important to seek medical attention immediately if you are bleeding heavily, as it can lead to shock and death within a matter of minutes.

3. How long can someone survive after losing a significant amount of blood?

The survival time after losing a significant amount of blood also varies based on individual factors. However, in general, a person can survive for up to 24 hours after losing 40% of their blood volume. After that, the risk of organ failure and death increases significantly.

4. Can someone survive after losing all their blood?

It is highly unlikely for someone to survive after losing all their blood. The human body needs a certain amount of blood to function properly, and without it, vital organs will fail. However, in rare cases, individuals have been able to survive after receiving immediate medical attention and blood transfusions.

5. How can you prevent passing out from blood loss?

The best way to prevent passing out from blood loss is to control the bleeding and seek medical attention immediately. Applying pressure to the wound, elevating the injured area, and using a tourniquet if necessary can help slow down the bleeding. It is also essential to stay hydrated and maintain a healthy diet to ensure your body has enough blood to circulate.