How long will it take for the echo to return

• Thread starter rrosa522
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Echo
In summary, the problem involves a submarine sending out a sonar wave with a frequency of 545 Hz and a wavelength of 2.60 m. The question asks how long it takes for the echo to return from a submarine 5.50 km away. The formula used to solve this is p=1/f, but the answer of 0.00183 seconds is incorrect because it only takes into account one wavelength. The correct answer is around 7-8 seconds, taking into account the distance the wave must travel to and from the submarine.
rrosa522

Homework Statement

A submarine sends out a sonar wave that has
a frequency of 545 Hz. If the wavelength of the
sound is 2.60 m, how long does it take for the
echo to return when the sound is reflected from
a submarine that is 5.50 km away?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the equation p=1/f and i plugged in frequency and got 0.00183 seconds, the right answer should be around 7-8 seconds

Physics news on Phys.org
rrosa522 said:

Homework Statement

A submarine sends out a sonar wave that has
a frequency of 545 Hz. If the wavelength of the
sound is 2.60 m, how long does it take for the
echo to return when the sound is reflected from
a submarine that is 5.50 km away?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the equation p=1/f and i plugged in frequency and got 0.00183 seconds, the right answer should be around 7-8 seconds

Well let's see here. Is it perhaps you calculated the period of one wavelength and overlooked the fact that it takes more than one wave of length 2.60 m to cover the distance of 5.50 km to the object and then 5.50 km back again to the sub?

SteamKing said:
Well let's see here. Is it perhaps you calculated the period of one wavelength and overlooked the fact that it takes more than one wave of length 2.60 m to cover the distance of 5.50 km to the object and then 5.50 km back again to the sub?
thank you so much, i finally got the right answer!

What is an echo?

An echo is a sound that is repeated or reflected off of a surface, creating a delayed repetition of the original sound.

What factors affect the time it takes for an echo to return?

The time it takes for an echo to return is affected by the distance between the sound source and the reflecting surface, as well as the reflective properties of the surface. The type and intensity of the sound also play a role.

How is the time for an echo to return measured?

The time for an echo to return can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. The time is calculated by measuring the time between the emission of the sound and the reception of the reflected sound.

Can the speed of sound affect the time for an echo to return?

Yes, the speed of sound can affect the time for an echo to return. The speed of sound is influenced by factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude. As these factors change, the speed of sound also changes, which can impact the time it takes for an echo to return.

Is there a maximum distance for an echo to return?

Yes, there is a maximum distance for an echo to return. This distance is determined by the intensity of the sound, the reflective properties of the surface, and the sensitivity of the human ear. In most cases, the maximum distance for an echo to return is around 17 meters.