How Long will my battery Last?

• B
  • Thread starter The Scarlet Pimple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary: On second thought, that could be right. 12 AH/900A= 0.8 minutes. Let's say, 40 seconds of cranking. That's plenty to start a car in most cases. People even use supercapacitors to start cars in less than 1 second. But what about the thickness of the lead wires?Supercapacitors would work, but they are a bit of a specialty item and not something that you would be likely to find at a convenience store.
The Scarlet Pimple
Hi All

I know this is fairly elementary but my brain doesn't want to play ball at the moment.

I have a battery pack rated

Voltage: 12 V dc
Nominal Current: 500 A
Peak Current: 900 A
Capacity: 12 Ah

And a portable coolbox/Fridge rated

Input Voltage: 12 V
Power Consumption: 47 W

If I use this combination on a camping trip, how do I calculate how long the setup will last before recharge is required?

Thanks in advance

TSP

Physics news on Phys.org
For ease of calculations in my head, say it's 48 watts. 1 watt = (1volt)(1amp), so 48 watts / 12V = 4 amps.

Now take the 12 amp-hours divide by 4 A and you are left with hours. But does this rating mean it will deliver the 12 Volts for that amount of time? It probably is not stamped on the battery, but if it is a brand name perhaps you can go to their website and download a spec sheet. Hopefully it has a voltage graph showing how output voltage changes with useage.

Likes The Scarlet Pimple
The Scarlet Pimple said:

Those are almost certainly wrong. Not A for amps but mA for milliamps. Fortunately, that is irrelevant to your question.

12V*12Ah=144 watt-hours

144 watt-hours/47 watts = 3.06 hours.

Allowing some margins for inefficiencies, says 2.5 hours.But here is the problem. The 12V battery voltage will be decreasing as it is discharged. Not all the way to zero, but perhaps to 11V. The fridge says 12V in, but it does not say at what voltage it stops working. The point is you may get less than 2.5 hours depending on how fussy the fridge is.

Likes russ_watters, Dale and The Scarlet Pimple
anorlunda said:
Those are almost certainly wrong. Not A for amps but mA for milliamps. Fortunately, that is irrelevant to your question.

12V*12Ah=144 watt-hours

144 watt-hours/47 watts = 3.06 hours.

Allowing some margins for inefficiencies, says 2.5 hours.But here is the problem. The 12V battery voltage will be decreasing as it is discharged. Not all the way to zero, but perhaps to 11V. The fridge says 12V in, but it does not say at what voltage it stops working. The point is you may get less than 2.5 hours depending on how fussy the fridge is.
I was thinking the same thing about the milliamps. If it is not a car battery, then it may be milliamps, which means the fridge is more load than the battery can even handle.

Wow Guys

Thanks very much for the quick responses, very simple when explained.

Looks like I'm going to have to use some other method to keep those beers cool lol

Likes scottdave
The current figures are taken directly from the back of the battery pack.

It is a battery booster pack, primarily for use as a car jump starter, but has the cigar lighter socket which the coolbox can plug into

The Scarlet Pimple said:
The current figures are taken directly from the back of the battery pack.

It is a battery booster pack, primarily for use as a car jump starter, but has the cigar lighter socket which the coolbox can plug into
If it is the small pack, like maybe 2 packs of cigarettes size(but much heavier), those you plug into power socket of car and let it deliver some charge to the car battery over several minutes. There is no way something like that would deliver 500 to 900 Amperes. So it's likely 500 to 900 mA, which is 0.5 to 0.9 A (much less than the 4 Amps fridge). Maybe a motorcycle battery could work, or a cheap car battery. I've seen some metal recycling places sell reconditioned car batteries for $45

The Scarlet Pimple said:
It is a battery booster pack, primarily for use as a car jump starter
That wound indicate that the 900 amps is real, e.g. Jump Starter from Walmart

The Scarlet Pimple said:
I have a battery pack rated

Voltage: 12 V dc
Capacity: 12 Ah
It's well past time that you supply a make and model of this thing … preferably a www site

you have everyone just guessing answers to what you may have and what it is capable of doing, it's just wasting time

Dave

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
That wound indicate that the 900 amps is real, e.g. Jump Starter from Walmart

On second thought, that could be right. 12 AH/900A= 0.8 minutes. Let's say, 40 seconds of cranking. That's plenty to start a car in most cases. People even use supercapacitors to start cars in less than 1 second. But what about the thickness of the lead wires?

But the answer to the OP stands. 12 AH is too little for the fridge application, and a starting battery is the wrong kind, you need deep discharge. The fridge on my boat used 40 AH/day, I used 2x200AH deep discharge batteries for that.

Likes jbriggs444
scottdave said:
If it is the small pack, like maybe 2 packs of cigarettes size(but much heavier), those you plug into power socket of car and let it deliver some charge to the car battery over several minutes. There is no way something like that would deliver 500 to 900 Amperes.
You'd be surprised how much current even a small lithium ion battery can output.
Take a look at this video that shows the insides of a small lithium jump starter and what happens when you short it out.

1. How does the type of battery affect its lifespan?

The type of battery does play a significant role in determining its lifespan. For example, lithium-ion batteries have a longer lifespan compared to lead-acid batteries. This is because lithium-ion batteries can be charged and discharged many more times without losing their capacity.

2. What factors can affect the lifespan of a battery?

Several factors can affect the lifespan of a battery, including usage patterns, temperature, and charging habits. For example, frequent deep discharges and exposure to extreme temperatures can decrease a battery's lifespan.

3. How long does the average battery last?

The average battery lifespan varies depending on the type of battery and usage. Generally, lithium-ion batteries can last for 2-3 years, while lead-acid batteries can last for 3-5 years. However, this can also vary based on individual usage and maintenance.

4. Can I extend the lifespan of my battery?

Yes, you can take certain steps to extend the lifespan of your battery. These include avoiding deep discharges, keeping the battery at a moderate temperature, and using the correct charger for your battery type.

5. What can I do to prolong the battery life of my electronic devices?

To prolong the battery life of your electronic devices, you can turn off unnecessary features such as Bluetooth and location services, reduce screen brightness, and close unused apps. You can also consider using the power-saving mode on your device, which can help conserve battery life.