How to calculate the accurate capacity of a battery?

In summary, integration is the key to calculating the energy stored in a battery between two voltages, taking into account the changing voltage and current over time. This can be done manually by sampling the data at fixed time intervals and multiplying the voltage and current together, then adding up the results. Alternatively, you can use numerical integration in a spreadsheet program like Excel to calculate the energy stored. Keep in mind that this method assumes a fresh battery with consistent discharge curves and may need to be adjusted for aging and temperature changes. Helpful resources from MIT and typical datasheet curves are also available for reference.
CmdrRoot
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate how much energy is stored in a battery between certain voltages. I know capacity is traditionally calculated by multiplying amps drawn by nominal voltage by time, but this seems like an approximation because voltage decreases as the battery is discharged. Also, the current drawn can change.

So if I had a graph of voltage vs time and a graph of amperage vs time, how would I go about calculating capacity between two voltages?

If it is necessary we can assume that voltage and amps vs time can be expressed by continuous functions.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
CmdrRoot said:
So if I had a graph of voltage vs time and a graph of amperage vs time, how would I go about calculating capacity between two voltages?

Just integrate - [itex]\int_0^{t_{end}} i(t)V(t)dt[/itex]

CmdrRoot said:
As @Borek says, you would integrate. But be sure to also take into account how the output current level changes the discharge curves. And the datasheet curves are for a fresh battery that has been charged well (assuming you are talking about rechargeable batteries). As batteries age, their capacity diminishes. You also may need to take temperature into account, since that can also alter the battery discharge characteristics...

Helpful PDF from MIT -- http://web.mit.edu/evt/summary_battery_specifications.pdf

Typical datasheet curves -- https://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/sps/powersys/ref/batterydatasheetfit.gif
batterydatasheetfit.gif

Attachments

• batterydatasheetfit.gif
    batterydatasheetfit.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 913
As others have said, integration is the answer.

You can do this manually by sampling the voltage and current at fixed time intervals and putting the data into a spreadsheet. Calculate the product of V,I and the sample interval. Add up the result.

PS Fixed sample intervals should be ok in this case but in some cases variable sample intervals can improve accuracy or greatly reduce the number of samples needed.

If you already have the data in a spreadsheet, you may as well just numerically integrate it there.

russ_watters said:
If you already have the data in a spreadsheet, you may as well just numerically integrate it there.

This may be the wrong place to ask, but is there an easy way for an Excel noob like me to do that?

Borek said:
Just integrate - [itex]\int_0^{t_{end}} i(t)V(t)dt[/itex]

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

As for "is there an easy way for an Excel noob" - do you know the common definition or description of integration?

Windadct said:
As for "is there an easy way for an Excel noob" - do you know the common definition or description of integration?

Yeah I'm taking calc 2 now. I could do it easily if I found curves to fit v(t) and I(t), but if I just had a spreadsheet of values is there an easy way to do an approximation? Like have Excel calculate and sum each rectangle.

If you are taking Calc 2 you do know integral is a limit of a sum for dx→0. For reasonably small dx just sum works quite good (there are tricks to make to even better, google numerical integration).

CmdrRoot said:
Like have Excel calculate and sum each rectangle.

That's essentially what I was suggesting in #4.

CmdrRoot said:
This may be the wrong place to ask, but is there an easy way for an Excel noob like me to do that?
do you have two columns of data; volts and amps? multiply them together and multiply by your time interval in the next column, then take the sum of the whole column.

1. How is the capacity of a battery measured?

The capacity of a battery is typically measured in ampere-hours (Ah) or milliampere-hours (mAh). This is the amount of charge that a battery can deliver in one hour. The higher the Ah or mAh rating, the longer the battery will last.

2. What factors affect the capacity of a battery?

The capacity of a battery can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of battery, its age, temperature, and the rate at which it is discharged. Higher temperatures can decrease battery capacity, while lower temperatures can increase it. Additionally, older batteries may have lower capacities due to wear and tear.

3. How do I calculate the accurate capacity of a battery?

To calculate the accurate capacity of a battery, you will need to know the voltage and current ratings of the battery. Simply multiply the voltage (V) by the current (A) to get the watt-hours (Wh). Then, divide the watt-hours by the voltage to get the ampere-hours (Ah). For example, a 12V battery with a current rating of 5A would have a capacity of 60Wh or 5Ah.

4. Can I rely on the manufacturer's stated capacity of a battery?

The manufacturer's stated capacity of a battery is typically an average or estimated value. The actual capacity of a battery may vary depending on usage and other factors. It is best to test the battery yourself to determine its accurate capacity.

5. How can I test the capacity of a battery?

To test the capacity of a battery, you will need a battery load tester or a multimeter. Connect the battery to the load tester or multimeter and discharge it at a constant rate. Measure the time it takes for the battery to reach a specified voltage, such as 10.5V for a 12V battery. Then, use the formula in question 3 to calculate the accurate capacity of the battery.