How many electrons would transfer 1 J of energy to a screen?

In summary, an electron with a mass of 9.11 * 10^-31 kg and a speed of 5.0 * 10^5 m/s has a kinetic energy of 1.14 * 10^-19 J. To transfer 1 J of energy to the screen, 8.8 * 10^18 such electrons would be needed. The correct answer was found by dividing 1 J by the kinetic energy of a single electron.
CivilSigma
An elecetron has a mass of 9.11 * 10^-31 kg. If it moves across a television picture tube at a speed of 5.0 * 10^5 m/s. Calculate:
a) it's kinetic energy
b)how many such electrons would transfer 1 J of energy to the screen.

My answer to a) is 1.14 * 10^-19 J, which is correct.
My answer to b) is 1.14 * 10^19, which is not correct. The correct answer is 8.8 * 10^18. How did they get that? because if 1 electron has 1.14 * 10^-19 J then won't we need 1.14 * 10^19 electrons for 1 J ?

Physics news on Phys.org
sakonpure6 said:
My answer to a) is 1.14 * 10^-19 J, which is correct.
My answer to b) is 1.14 * 10^19, which is not correct. The correct answer is 8.8 * 10^18. How did they get that? because if 1 electron has 1.14 * 10^-19 J then won't we need 1.14 * 10^19 electrons for 1 J ?

Changing the sign of the exponent is not the same as division... What about the mantissa of the number?

om >.< I know what i did wrong! Stupid mistake. Thanks for that comment.

Related to How many electrons would transfer 1 J of energy to a screen?

1. How many electrons are needed to transfer 1 J of energy to a screen?

The number of electrons needed to transfer 1 J of energy to a screen depends on the type of screen and the energy level of the electrons. In general, it would take approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons to transfer 1 J of energy.

2. Can the number of electrons needed to transfer 1 J of energy vary?

Yes, the number of electrons needed can vary depending on factors such as the energy level of the electrons, the type of screen, and the efficiency of the transfer process.

3. How is energy transferred from electrons to a screen?

Energy is transferred from electrons to a screen through a process called electron emission. This occurs when the electrons collide with the screen's surface, causing energy to be transferred to the screen.

4. What is the relationship between energy and the number of electrons needed for transfer?

The relationship between energy and the number of electrons needed for transfer is directly proportional. This means that as the energy level increases, the number of electrons needed for transfer also increases.

5. Are all electrons able to transfer energy to a screen?

No, not all electrons are able to transfer energy to a screen. Only electrons with enough energy (kinetic energy) and the right trajectory (direction of movement) can successfully transfer energy to a screen.