How many homomorphisms are there

In summary, there is at least one homomorphism from S_5 to Z_5, the trivial homomorphism. However, there are other homomorphisms as well, as shown by the existence of cyclic subgroups of S_5. The generators of S_5 are all transpositions. Any nontrivial homomorphisms must map all of S_5 to 0, as every element can be written as a product of transpositions. The only normal subgroup of S_n for n > 4 is A_n.
JFo
How many homomorphisms are there from [itex]S_5[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex]?

Well there is at least one, the trivial homomorphism, ie: every element of S_5 gets mapped to 0.

I have a feeling that this is the only homomorphism but am having trouble proving that no other homomorphism could exist. Any suggestions?

I know that every nonzero element of Z_5 has order of 5, and for a non-trivial homomorphism to exist, there needs to be some element of S_5 (not equal to the identity) that gets mapped to a nonzero element of Z_5.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that there are other homomorphisms. Think about the subgroups of S_5. Does it have any cyclic subgroups of order 5?

SBRH

But that only gives you a map in the other direction: from the cyclic group into the permutation group.

What are the generators of S_5?

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I just realized my silly mistake and came back to announce its sillyness!

Ignore my previous reply.

SBRH

Im thinking the generators of S_5 are all the transpositions of S_5. Is this correct?

Im working out a proof, here's what I have so far:

proof:
Let [itex] \phi : \mbox{S}_5 \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_5[/itex] be a nontrivial homomorphism. Now [itex] |\phi(\mbox{S}_5)| [/itex] divides [itex]|\mathbb{Z}_5|[/itex], and thus must be 1 or 5. It can't be 1 since phi is nontrivial and thus must be 5, hence phi is onto.
Let H = Ker([itex]\phi[/itex]). We can form the factor group [itex]\mbox{S}_5 / H[/itex] which is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_5[/itex]. This implies that [itex]|H| = 24 [/itex]. So for each element x of Z_5 there are 24 distinct elements of S_5 that map to x.

Ok I am stuck again

Last edited:
Im thinking the generators of S_5 are all the transpositions of S_5. Is this correct?
Yes. Every element of S_5 is a product of transpositions.

This implies that |H| = 24.
Are there any 24-element subgroups of S_5? Normal ones?

Last edited:
No. There are no 24-element subgroups of S_5 that are normal. Thanks much for your help Hurkyl!
I was wondering.. is there a way, say if your looking at a subgroup diagram of S_n for some n, to tell whether a given subgroup of S_n is normal?

Also, is there a way to figure out which subgroups are conjugate without computing every conjugation of that group?

Incidentally, looking at the generators is just as easy. What is the image of any transposition?

(I would have said easier, but I suppose if you really understand this stuff, knowing that there are no 24-element subgroups of S_n is probably of comparable difficulty)

Isn't it the case that A_n is the only normal subgroup of S_n, for n > 4?

I suppose if [itex] \tau [/itex] is a transpostion, then [itex] \tau^2 = i[/itex], thus [itex]\phi(i) = \phi(\tau^2) = \phi(\tau)^2 = 0[/itex]. This implies [itex]\phi(\tau) = 0[/itex] since there are no nonzero elements of order 2 in Z_5. Ahhh... this then implies that that all of S_5 gets mapped to 0 since every permutation can be written as a product of transpositions and phi is a homomorphism. Is this the correct reasoning?

You're right, this is an easier solution.
Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
Yes, that is the line of thinking I originally had. (Until I was inspired by your computation of |H|)

Related to How many homomorphisms are there

1. How do you define a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a function between two algebraic structures that preserves the operations and relations of the structures. In other words, it maps elements from one structure to another in a way that maintains the structure of the original object.

2. What is the purpose of studying homomorphisms?

Homomorphisms are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to understand the relationships between different structures and to generalize concepts. They also have applications in various fields, such as computer science, physics, and chemistry.

3. How do you determine the number of homomorphisms between two structures?

The number of homomorphisms between two structures depends on the properties of the structures and the specific homomorphism being considered. In some cases, there may be a finite number of homomorphisms, while in others there may be infinitely many. It is important to carefully consider the definitions and properties of the structures to determine the number of homomorphisms.

4. What is the difference between an isomorphism and a homomorphism?

An isomorphism is a special type of homomorphism that is bijective, meaning it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that an isomorphism preserves not only the operations and relations of the structures, but also the individual elements. In contrast, a homomorphism does not necessarily have to be bijective.

5. Can there be more than one homomorphism between two structures?

Yes, there can be multiple homomorphisms between two structures. This is because homomorphisms are defined based on the properties and relationships between the structures, and there may be different ways to map elements from one structure to another while preserving these properties. However, in some cases, there may only be one homomorphism, such as when the structures are isomorphic.