Determining elements in Aut(D_8)

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the author is trying to come up with a repeatable procedure for finding automorphisms of groups with presentations. He starts by considering ##D_8## as a good example. He then shows that all of the possible automorphisms are bijections by showing that the relations ##r's'r's'=1## hold.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Find all of the elements in ##\operatorname{Aut}(D_8)##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to come with a repeatable procedure for finding automorphisms of groups with presentations. I'm taking ##D_8## as a good example.

Here is how I would like to start. Let ##\psi\in \operatorname{Aut}(D_8)##. Then by the universal mapping property for presentations, ##\psi## is completely determined by ##r'=\psi(r)## and ##s'=\psi(s)## which must satisfy ##(r')^4 = (s')^2 = r's'r's'=1##. Since ##\psi## is an automorphism, it must preserve order, so the possible automorphisms are given by ##\psi(r) \in \{r,r^{-1}\}## and ##\psi(s) \in \{r^2,s,sr,sr^2,sr^3\}##. But all of these may not be automorphisms, since we haven't checked if the relations are satisfied. Note we can exclude the case when ##\psi(r)=r^{\pm1}## and ##\psi(s) = r^2##, since this does not satisfy the relation ##r's'r's'=1##. So we are left with ##8## possible automorphisms. Note that ##\operatorname{im}(\psi)## contains the subgroup ##\langle r' \rangle## of order ##6## and at least one element ##s'## not in this group, so ##|\operatorname{im}(\psi)| \ge 5## and by Lagrange ##|\operatorname{im}(\psi)|## divides ##8##. Hence ##\operatorname{im}(\psi) = D_8##, so ##\psi## is surjective (and hence injective), so ##\psi## is a bijection. All that's left to show is that all of these ##8## possibilities are indeed homomorphisms...

This is where I get stuck. Do I need to show that the ##r's'r's'=1## for every choice of ##r'## and ##s'## to show that the relations hold and that we get homomorphisms for all of these? This seems like a lot of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but I don't think I completely understood what I was doing. Here I want to explicitly indicate which steps show that what I've found are bijections and homomorphisms. What I see is that, assuming we have an automorphism, we get 10 possibilities based on order considerations. We then cut this down to ##8## possibilities, and I showed that these 8 are bijections. But nowhere here did I show that all of these ##8## are actually homomorphisms, which would complete the proof.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Note we can exclude the case when ##\psi(r)=r^{\pm1}## and ##\psi(s) = r^2##, since this does not satisfy the relation ##r's'r's'=1##.
I find ##\operatorname{im}\psi \subseteq \langle r\rangle## implies that ##\psi## is no automorphism quicker to see.

What you have shown are all necessary conditions, derived from the properties of the group and ##\psi##. So sufficiency has still to be proven somehow, i.e. that all these combinations are actually isomrphisms. You already ruled out two combinations, so what makes you sure there aren't others which were impossible? I think that the isomorphism ##D_{2n} \cong \mathbb{Z}_n \rtimes_\sigma \mathbb{Z}_2## should be of help here, i.e. will probably get you a lower bound for ##|\operatorname{Aut}(D_{2n})|\,.##

I suppose that ##\operatorname{Aut}(D_{2n}) \cong \mathbb{Z}_n \bowtie \mathbb{Z}_n^*##, i.e. I suspect that at least one of the factors is normal (the inner autormphisms), but I'm not sure which is which. I'm still convinced of
fresh_42 said:
Couldn't we generalize this [your argument] for ##\phi(r)=r\; , \;\phi(s)=sr^l## to answer the question which automorphisms are outer and which are inner instead of the counting argument?

1. How do you determine the elements in Aut(D_8)?

To determine the elements in Aut(D_8), you need to first understand what Aut(D_8) represents. Aut(D_8) is the group of automorphisms of the dihedral group D_8, which is the group of symmetries of a regular octagon. The elements in Aut(D_8) are the transformations that preserve the structure and symmetries of the octagon.

2. What is the order of Aut(D_8)?

The order of Aut(D_8) is equal to the number of elements in the group, which can be calculated using the formula |Aut(D_8)| = |D_8| = 2n, where n is the number of generators of D_8. In this case, n=2, so the order of Aut(D_8) is 2^2 = 4.

3. What are the generators of Aut(D_8)?

The generators of Aut(D_8) are the elements of the group that can generate all other elements through repeated multiplication. In the case of Aut(D_8), the generators are the rotations and reflections of the octagon, which can be represented by the elements a and b respectively.

4. How do you determine the composition table for Aut(D_8)?

The composition table for Aut(D_8) can be determined by considering the composition of the generators a and b, as well as their inverses a^-1 and b^-1. This will give you all possible combinations of transformations and their resulting product. The table should have 4 rows and 4 columns, representing the 4 elements in the group.

5. Can Aut(D_8) be isomorphic to another group?

Yes, Aut(D_8) can be isomorphic to other groups, depending on the structure and symmetries of the object being represented. For example, Aut(D_8) can be isomorphic to the group of rotations and reflections of a square, as both objects have the same number of symmetries and transformations.