All homomorphisms from Z_n to Z_m

In summary, the problem with the original equation is that it does not take into account the gcd(m,n) value of ϕ([1]).
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

Describe all group homomorphisms from [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n [/itex] to [itex] \mathbb{Z}_m [/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex] \mathbb{Z}_n = {[0],[1],\dots ,[n-1]} [/itex] with addition.

A homomorphism is an operation preserving map, ie [itex] \phi (a\ast b)=\phi (a) \# \phi (b) [/itex].

One especially important homomorphism property is that [itex] \phi (a^k) = \phi (a)^k [/itex].

We can describe each homomorphism entirely by its action on any element that generate the group.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure there are [itex] \text{gcd}(n,m) [/itex] homomorphisms from [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n [/itex] to [itex] \mathbb{Z}_m [/itex].

Based on some examples I worked out, I believe the solution is:

let [itex] [a] [/itex] be any element which generates [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n [/itex]

[tex] \phi ([a]) = \frac{n}{\text{gcd}(n,m)}\cdot k [a] [/tex] where [itex] 0\le k < \text{gcd}(m,n) [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct, but your "description" can use improvement and I believe it contains a mistake.

Let's simplify your generator a bit.
Instead of picking [a], it's easier to pick [1] as a generator.

Then candidates for the homomophisms are the ones defined by ϕ([1]).
The restriction is that ϕ(n[1]) = n ϕ([1]) = 0 mod m.
In other words m | n ϕ([1]).

Now let g = gcd(m,n), then there are numbers a and b such that ##m=ga, n=gb, \gcd(a,b)=1##.

Then:
$$ga\ |\ gbϕ([1]) \\
a\ |\ bϕ([1]) \\
a\ |\ ϕ([1])$$
Do you see why?

So you're left with the question which and how many values of ϕ([1]) meet with the condition that ##\frac m {\gcd(m,n)}## divides ϕ([1]).

I did have [1] in mind for [a], but it should work on any generator.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with your last statement.

You mentioned you thought there was a mistake, but you also said I was correct?

ArcanaNoir said:
I did have [1] in mind for [a], but it should work on any generator.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with your last statement.

You mentioned you thought there was a mistake, but you also said I was correct?

I believe the number of homomorphisms is indeed ##\gcd(m,n)##, but the formula you gave for ϕ([a]) is not entirely correct.

Last edited:
So are you saying some of the maps specified by my formula are redundant, some are missing, or some are plain wrong?

Oh bollocks! I'm saying it should be:
$$\phi([1]) = \frac m {\gcd(m,n)} k[1]$$
with ##0 \le k < \gcd(m,n)##.

Can you still smile? :shy:
This should be fun.

I like Serena said:
Oh bollocks! I'm saying it should be:
$$\phi([1]) = \frac m {\gcd(m,n)} k[1]$$
with ##0 \le k < \gcd(m,n)##.

Can you still smile? :shy:
This should be fun.

Oops. Thanks :)

Likes 1 person
ArcanaNoir said:
Oops. Thanks :)

I guess of the choices offered, it fits "plain wrong". :biggrin:

1. What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the algebraic structure of a group or ring. In simpler terms, it is a function that preserves the operations and relationships between elements in a mathematical structure.

2. What is Z_n and Z_m?

Z_n and Z_m are both mathematical structures known as cyclic groups. Z_n represents the integers modulo n, while Z_m represents the integers modulo m. These structures are often used in modular arithmetic and number theory.

3. How many homomorphisms are there from Z_n to Z_m?

The number of homomorphisms from Z_n to Z_m is equal to the greatest common divisor of n and m. This is because the homomorphism must preserve the order of the elements in the group, and the order of an element in Z_n is equal to the greatest common divisor of n and m.

4. What is the kernel of a homomorphism from Z_n to Z_m?

The kernel of a homomorphism from Z_n to Z_m is the set of elements in Z_n that are mapped to the identity element in Z_m. In other words, it is the set of elements in Z_n that are mapped to 0 in Z_m. The kernel is an important concept in group theory and can be used to determine the number of homomorphisms between two groups.

5. Can a homomorphism from Z_n to Z_m be surjective?

It is possible for a homomorphism from Z_n to Z_m to be surjective, meaning that every element in Z_m has at least one preimage in Z_n. This is true if and only if m divides n, or in other words, if n is a multiple of m. In this case, the homomorphism is known as an epimorphism.