How many rotations of peddels per second?

In summary, the question is asking for the number of turns (rotations) of peddles per second for a bicycle with a velocity of 18 km/h, a wheel radius of 35 cm, and a gear ratio of 2:1. The formula v=2(pi)r * f is used to solve the problem, with the conversion of units and the consideration of gear ratio resulting in a final answer of 1.14 turns of peddles per second.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

A bicycle drives on a straight road with a velocity v = 18 km/h. How many turns (rotations) of peddles per second must be carried out by cyclists, if the radius of the wheels r = 35 cm, and the ratio of the radii of front and rear gear wheels is 2:1?

Homework Equations

I used formula v=2(pi)r * f

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have another problem which says:

I converted: 18km/h = 5m/s and 35cm = 0.35m, so now we have all units unified.

I plugged the numbers into the formula and got the result f= 2.27.

And now we have the ratio 2:1, and since the the front gear wheel is larger than the rear one I multiplied by 2 and got the FINAL result which is 4.55 turns of peddles per second.
Are my calculations correct?
Thank you for all the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ratio of the gears is 2:1 doesn't that mean 2revs of the pedals to each rotation of the rear wheel?

So that mean that I have to divide by to and the correct final answer is f= 1.14?

Yes -
Twice the radaii on the front cog means that it rotates once for 2 rotations of the back cog (and hence the back wheel) - this is the normal gearing for a bike (except the lowest gear on a mountain bike) - I thought the question had claimed the opposite.

Thank you for your help!

Related to How many rotations of peddels per second?

1. How do you calculate the number of rotations per second of peddels?

The number of rotations per second (RPS) can be calculated by dividing the number of revolutions by the time taken. For example, if a peddel completes 10 revolutions in 5 seconds, the RPS would be 10/5 = 2 RPS.

2. Can the number of rotations per second of peddels be converted to other units?

Yes, the RPS can be converted to rotations per minute (RPM) by multiplying it by 60. In the previous example, the RPS of 2 would be equivalent to 120 RPM.

3. Is the number of rotations per second of peddels consistent?

The number of rotations per second of peddels can vary depending on factors such as the speed of the peddel, the resistance, and the individual's peddeling technique. It is not always consistent and can change throughout a peddeling session.

4. Can the number of rotations per second of peddels affect the workout intensity?

Yes, the number of rotations per second of peddels can affect the intensity of a workout. Higher RPS means the peddels are rotating faster, which can increase the resistance and make the workout more challenging.

5. Is there an optimal number of rotations per second for peddling?

There is no specific optimal number of rotations per second for peddling as it can vary depending on the individual's fitness level and goals. However, it is recommended to maintain a consistent and challenging RPS to get the most out of a peddeling workout.