How much energy is stored in a discharging capacitor after one second?

• Thread starter ultimattack2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem involves a 2.8 µF capacitor with a charge of 0.009 C and a 1.5 × 10^6 Ω resistor connected to it. After one second of discharge, the energy stored in the capacitor is calculated using the equations Q=CV, Vo*(e^(-t/RC))=Vf, and 1/2C(Vf)^2 = E. The final answer is 1.95752 J.
ultimattack2

Homework Statement

A 2.8 µF capacitor is fully charged to a value of 0.009 C. A 1.5 × 10^6 Ω resistor is connected to this capacitor so that it begins to discharge. One second after the capacitor has begun to discharge, how much energy is stored in the capacitor? Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

Q=CV

Vo*(e^(-t/RC))=Vf

1/2C(Vf)^2 = E

The Attempt at a Solution

.009C / 2.8*10^-6 F = 3214.28571429 V

3214.28571429V * e^-1 = 1182.4696323 V

(1/2)* (2.8*10^-6 F) * (1182.4696323)^2 = 1.95752820396 J

What I did was was divide .009 C by 2.8 * 10^-6 F to get the initial voltage then multiply by e^-1 to get the voltage in the capacitor. I then took that value, squared it, and multiplied it by 1/2 and 2.8 *10^-6 for the value of the capacitance. My final answer was 1.95752 J. I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ultimattack2 said:
then multiply by e-1
Where does that value come from?

Well in the solution to the problem, the description says "the RC time constant is one second so that after one second the charge has fallen to Q(1s) = C((∆Vinit)e^ −1) ." We always work it like that in class because seconds is interchangeable with RC units.

I don't know what the solution says, but 2.8*1.5 is never anything like 1.
2.8 µF*1.5 MΩ = 4.2 seconds.

mfb said:
I don't know what the solution says, but 2.8*1.5 is never anything like 1.
2.8 µF*1.5 MΩ = 4.2 seconds.
I'm sorry, I'm not really understanding why you did that.

Okay never mind I understand why you did that, but I was wondering why that would work because in the sample problem the values were 10µF, 100kΩ, and 1 s and they still used e^-1.

NEVER MIND I'M STUPID k= 10^3 not 10^4! THANKS SO MUCH!

Related to How much energy is stored in a discharging capacitor after one second?

What is a capacitator?

A capacitator is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating charge on its plates. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

How does a capacitator store energy?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitator, a potential difference is created between the two plates, resulting in the accumulation of positive and negative charges on each plate. This stored energy can then be released when the capacitator is connected to a circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is farads (F), named after the physicist Michael Faraday. One farad is equal to one coulomb of charge per volt of potential difference between the plates. However, capacitance is typically measured in microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF) due to the small values involved in most capacitators.

What factors affect the energy storage capacity of a capacitator?

The energy storage capacity of a capacitator depends on its capacitance, the voltage applied to it, and the type of dielectric material used. A larger capacitance, higher voltage, and a dielectric with a higher permittivity will result in a higher energy storage capacity.

How is energy lost in a capacitator?

Energy can be lost in a capacitator due to leakage, where some of the stored charge dissipates over time due to imperfections in the dielectric material. Energy can also be lost through heat due to the resistance of the conductive plates and any wires or connections in the circuit.