Two capacitors in parallel: potential difference/energy

In summary, two capacitors with capacitances of 4 μF and 12 μF were connected in parallel and then connected to a 12 V battery. After being disconnected and reconnected to each other with the positive plate of each capacitor connected to the negative plate of the other, the potential difference across each capacitor will be 6 V. The total energy stored in the capacitors before being disconnected from the battery is 1.152 * 10-3 J. When the capacitors are reconnected, the charge and voltage on one of the capacitors will flip, resulting in a balance of 0 V for the entire system.
space-time

Homework Statement

Two capacitors, one that has a capacitance of 4 μF and one that has a capacitance of 12 μF are connected in parallel. The parallel combination is then connected across the terminals of a 12 V battery. Next, they are carefully disconnected so that they are not discharged. They are then reconnected to each other - the positive plate of each capacitor connected to the negative plate of the other.

(a) Find the potential difference across each capacitor after they are reconnected.

(b) Find the energy stored in the capacitors before they are disconnected from the battery, and find the energy stored after they are reconnected.

Homework Equations

[/B]
(In parallel) Ceq = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn
C = Q/V
E (energy) = (1/2) C V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that in parallel, the voltage across all of the capacitors is the same (which is 12 V in this case). I also know that Ceq = C1 + C2 + ... + Cn, which in this case should turn into (4 * 10-6 ) + (12 * 10-6) = 1.6 * 10-5 F

If I plug this into the formula E (energy) = (1/2) C V2 then I get:

E = (1/2)(1.6 * 10-5)(122) = 1.152 * 10-3 J

With this, it seems that I have solved the first half of (b), which was the question about how much energy is stored in the capacitors before they disconnect from the battery. I don't know if it is right however, since this is written homework and not webassign. Furthermore, I do not know how to do (a) or the 2nd half of (b). Can someone guide me in the right direction on how to do (a) and the 2nd half of (b), and also verify whether or not my first half of (b) is correct? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
It might be that the composer of the exercise wants two answers (energy in each of the capacitors), but that's somewhat ambiguous.

Now, for part a, what happens when the two capacitors are reconnected ? What will remain constant and what will even out ?

BvU said:
Hi.
It might be that the composer of the exercise wants two answers (energy in each of the capacitors), but that's somewhat ambiguous.

Now, for part a, what happens when the two capacitors are reconnected ? What will remain constant and what will even out ?

I don't know for sure what remains constant and what evens out, but my educated hypothesis leads me to believe that the total charge on the capacitors will balance out so that the positive and negative plates have equal, but opposite charges. Is this correct?

As for what remains constant, does the equivalent capacitance remain constant?

If my assertions are correct, then since the total charge on the capacitors to begin with was 1.92 * 10-4 C (I calculated this), and since the equivalent capacitance is 1.6 * 10-5 F, I believe that if I divide my charge by 2 (so that both capacitors have the same amount of charge on them) and use V = Q/C, then I can do (9.6 * 10-5) / (1.6 * 10-5) = 6 V (Note that the 9.6 * 10-5 came from dividing my total charge by 2)

Is 6 V the correct answer for (a) by my process?

Also, are you saying that I got the right answer for (b), and that the answer for the first half of (b) is the same as that of the second?

space-time said:
If my assertions are correct
Let's go over them. I agree with the 1.92 10-4C. The picture below divides the sequence in four steps. Maybe that makes it easier.

In step 1 both capacitors have the same voltage. What about the charge ?
Step2: disconnecting does not change either of these two.
In step 3 one of the two is flipped. No change except for the signs. You may want to add the signs to the picture.

Perhaps now I can repeat my question: what will remain constant and what will even out ? (compare 4 and 1)

Your belief
space-time said:
that if I divide my charge by 2 (so that both capacitors have the same amount of charge on them)
does not hold up: imagine the smaller capacitor has almost zero capacity: it can never hold half the charge.
upload_2016-9-25_11-20-53.png

BvU said:
Let's go over them. I agree with the 1.92 10-4C. The picture below divides the sequence in four steps. Maybe that makes it easier.

In step 1 both capacitors have the same voltage. What about the charge ?
Step2: disconnecting does not change either of these two.
In step 3 one of the two is flipped. No change except for the signs. You may want to add the signs to the picture.

Perhaps now I can repeat my question: what will remain constant and what will even out ? (compare 4 and 1)

Your belief
does not hold up: imagine the smaller capacitor has almost zero capacity: it can never hold half the charge.
View attachment 106473

Well I notice that in #4, the 4 μF capacitor's plates are reversed as compared to how they were in #1. Since E = V/d (where E is the electric field between the two plates) , and since the sign of the E field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move, I suppose this reverse in position of the plates would cause the voltage on the capacitor to change signs while keeping the same magnitude. In terms of what balances out, I suppose this means that the capacitor that reverses would have -12 V while the other capacitor would maintain a voltage of 12 V. This would make the whole system balance out to 0 V which would make sense since they are no longer connected to the battery.

Is my understanding here correct?

space-time said:
Well I notice that in #4, the 4 μF capacitor's plates are reversed as compared to how they were in #1. Since E = V/d (where E is the electric field between the two plates) , and since the sign of the E field is determined by the direction that a positive test charge would move, I suppose this reverse in position of the plates would cause the voltage on the capacitor to change signs while keeping the same magnitude
That is correct
In terms of what balances out, I suppose this means that the capacitor that reverses would have -12 V while the other capacitor would maintain a voltage of 12 V.
Correct as well
This would make the whole system balance out to 0 V
Not correct. The driving force is the Voltage difference between the two capacitors. When the difference is zero, charge has no reason to move any more.

As you can see from the picture in #4, there is nowhere the total charge on the top plates can go. But if the charge on one of the top plates is negative and on the other is positive, something is surely bound to happen...

1. What is the potential difference across each capacitor when they are connected in parallel?

When two capacitors are connected in parallel, the potential difference across each capacitor will be the same. This is because the charge on each capacitor will be equal and will distribute evenly across both capacitors. Therefore, the potential difference across each capacitor will be the same as the potential difference across the entire parallel circuit.

2. How does the energy stored in each capacitor change when they are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the energy stored in each capacitor remains the same. This is because the capacitance of each individual capacitor does not change when they are connected in parallel. However, the total energy stored in the circuit will increase as the total capacitance of the circuit increases.

3. Can the potential difference across each capacitor be different if they have different capacitances?

Yes, the potential difference across each capacitor can be different if they have different capacitances. This is because the potential difference across a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance. Therefore, if two capacitors have different capacitances, their potential differences will also be different.

4. What happens to the total capacitance of the circuit when capacitors are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance of the circuit increases. This is because the total capacitance of a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances of each capacitor. Therefore, when more capacitors are added in parallel, the total capacitance of the circuit will increase.

5. How does the charge on each capacitor change when they are connected in parallel?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the charge on each capacitor will be the same. This is because the charge on each capacitor will distribute evenly across both capacitors. Therefore, the total charge in the circuit will increase as more capacitors are added in parallel.