How much force is needed to bend a fixed beam channel by 4mm at 'F'?

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the force needed to bend a fixed beam channel by 4mm at 'F'. The dimensions of the channel, length, location of the applied force, and material are not specified, making it difficult to provide advice. The beam has a structural discontinuity at mid span with a notch in both flanges, making it more complex to analyze. It may require a numerical simulation for an accurate calculation. Without more information, it is difficult to estimate the force needed to bend the beam.
mjonquiere
HELP! how to calc the force needed to bend this fixed beam channel by 4mm at 'F'http://www.engineersedge.com/engineering-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1254&stc=1

Attachments

• CHANNEL BEAM WITH CENTRE LOAD.png
    CHANNEL BEAM WITH CENTRE LOAD.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 558
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear from the attached sketch what the dimensions of the channel are, what the length of the channel is, the location of the applied force, or if the channel is fixed at one end only or at both ends. Without additional information, advice can't be given.

Also, what the material is.

Hi All,
thanks for feed back. I am after a formula to find what force (F) the beam can withstand before plastic deformation and what force (F) caused it to bend by 4 mm.
It's a fully FIXRED beam fixed both ends, the difficulty for me is that its not a normal square beam it's a channel section. attached is a better drawing but its the formulas I'm really after.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 515
mjonquiere said:
Hi All,
thanks for feed back. I am after a formula to find what force (F) the beam can withstand before plastic deformation and what force (F) caused it to bend by 4 mm.
It's a fully FIXRED beam fixed both ends, the difficulty for me is that its not a normal square beam it's a channel section. attached is a better drawing but its the formulas I'm really after.
It's worse than that, I'm afraid.

The beam has a structural discontinuity at mid span with that notch in both flanges. You can't apply the regular beam formulas because they are derived assuming that the beam is continuous between supports with constant section properties. You can analyze this beam to determine the deflection and the stress, but it's more than just plugging numbers into a formula.

Are you looking for an order of magnitude estimate or something better? I think you need a numerical simulation to calculate it reasonably accurately. It's pretty involved. You are missing the dimensions of the notch in the drawing.

I'm guessing I could bend it by stepping on it in the center with both ends supported, but that's just a gut feeling

1. What is the definition of "force needed to bend beam"?

The force needed to bend a beam is the amount of external force that must be applied to a beam in order to deform it from its original straight shape.

2. How is the force needed to bend a beam calculated?

The force needed to bend a beam is calculated using the formula F = EI/R, where F is the required force, E is the beam's modulus of elasticity, I is the beam's moment of inertia, and R is the radius of curvature.

3. What factors affect the force needed to bend a beam?

The force needed to bend a beam is affected by several factors, including the beam's material properties, its cross-sectional shape, its length, and the type of loading applied to it.

4. How does the force needed to bend a beam vary with beam length?

The force needed to bend a beam increases with the length of the beam. This is because longer beams have a greater resistance to bending and require more force to deform.

5. What are some common applications of calculating the force needed to bend a beam?

The calculation of the force needed to bend a beam is important in many engineering and construction applications, such as designing bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also used in the design and testing of various mechanical components, such as beams in machines or supports in vehicles.