How much methane is produced from 1 kg of typical organic waste?

In summary, the speaker is seeking information on the amount of methane produced from 1 kg of organic waste and its potential as a source of energy. They plan to share this information at an upcoming environment activist gathering. However, they are still in need of an engineering solution to capture and store the gas. Suggestions are made to look into methane emissions from landfills as a potential starting point for research.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Next month there will be an environment activist gathering in my church. I want to introduce to them one of the benefits of organic waste. It's methane production.
Organic waste will produce methane, and in turn it is the source of energy.
What I want to know is how much methane approximately is produced by 1 kg typical organic waste from the kitchen waste.
I have searched in http://bionumbers.hms.harvard.edu/, but still I haven't found the number.
Do anybody know, roughly how many grams methane can we gain from 1 kg typical organic waste?
I would be grateful if I can find the answer.
So I can persuade my neighborhood the benefit of processing organic waste.

Of course it wouldn't be that easy. We still need engineering solution to capture and store the gas, but at last I can explain that the theory is real.

Thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Methane emission from landfills has been a concern because methane is a very powerful greenhouse gas. You might be able to poke around to see if anyone has done the research in the context of landfill gas. Here are some potential starting points:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landfill_gas
http://www3.epa.gov/lmop/basic-info/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Stephanus
Thanks Yggdrasil. I'll study your links :smile:

1. What is methane in organic waste?

Methane is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by the breakdown of organic matter. It is a greenhouse gas and one of the main components of natural gas.

2. How is methane produced in organic waste?

Methane is produced through a process called anaerobic digestion, where microorganisms break down organic matter in the absence of oxygen. This process occurs in landfills, wastewater treatment plants, and other areas where organic waste is present.

3. What are the environmental impacts of methane in organic waste?

Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, with a global warming potential 25 times greater than carbon dioxide. It contributes to climate change and can also pose a safety hazard if it accumulates in confined spaces.

4. How can we reduce methane emissions from organic waste?

There are several methods for reducing methane emissions from organic waste, including capturing and using the gas as an energy source, composting the waste to reduce the amount of organic matter present, and implementing more efficient waste management practices.

5. Is methane in organic waste harmful to human health?

In small amounts, methane is not harmful to human health. However, high concentrations of methane can displace oxygen and create an oxygen-deficient environment, which can be dangerous for those working with organic waste. Methane can also contribute to air pollution and smog, which can have negative impacts on respiratory health.