Percentage of hydrocarbons in living organism

In summary, hydrocarbons are organic compounds that make up a significant portion of living organisms. They are composed of hydrogen and carbon atoms and are essential for various biological processes such as energy production and cell membrane structure. The percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms varies depending on the species, but they are present in all forms of life from bacteria to plants and animals. These compounds play a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth and are constantly being recycled and exchanged between different organisms through the food chain. Understanding the percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms is essential for studying their role in biological processes and their impact on the environment.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'm interested in how much energy our organic waste contain.
I have read this article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body
Elements composition of plants
The elements composition of human body (and animal?) and plants resemble. Bacteria has slightly different percentage in nitrogen
As I have often read, every living organism has some water percentage in it. Now, what I want to know is this.
1. Average and approximately, how many percent is sugar in living organism?
2. Is sugar mostly C6H12O6?
3. Are there any other sugar compound?

Thank you very much
My line of questionings will lead to how much methane (CH4) that we can get from organic waste, but I'd like to know some basic facts before I ask my main question.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
C6H12O6 is just one type of sugar, namely glucose. In organic chemistry nomenclature, the names of sugars end in -ose.

Other common sugars are fructose, lactose, maltose, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar

These compounds are properly termed 'carbohydrates', since they contain carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.

A 'hydrocarbon' is composed of carbon and hydrogen.

Thanks SteamKing.
And..., the approximately sugar percentage in a living organism?
If approximately 95% elements composition of a living organism is Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and approximately 60% to 70% is water, then, how is the percentage of sugar/glucose? Just approximate number would be enough for me.

Thanks.

Stephanus said:
Thanks SteamKing.
And..., the approximately sugar percentage in a living organism?
If approximately 95% elements composition of a living organism is Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and approximately 60% to 70% is water, then, how is the percentage of sugar/glucose? Just approximate number would be enough for me.

Thanks.
I don't think I've ever seen any break down on the percentage of sugar in various living organisms, because the percentage of sugars keeps changing as the organism goes thru the day.

Sugars are a vehicle to deliver the energy from food to the individual cells making up the organism. Metabolic processes in the cell convert sugars to energy, and carbon dioxide and water, among other compounds, are created and eliminated in the process.

Likes Stephanus
Thanks Steamking.
Perhaps you might help me with this question.
What is the approximate percentage of methane extracted from organic waste? If properly processed, without additional energy outside the system.
For example. I put some 10 kg organic waste in a sealed box with one or two small hole that can expelled gas from the inside if the pressure inside the box is higher then the atmosphere.
So, for 10 kg organic waste, approximately, how much methane (in KG) can we get?
Thank you very much.

I'd like to know what is the benefit of composting. How much energy can we get from 10 kg organic waste.

Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
I'm interested in how much energy our organic waste contain.
I have read this article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body
Elements composition of plants
The elements composition of human body (and animal?) and plants resemble. Bacteria has slightly different percentage in nitrogen
As I have often read, every living organism has some water percentage in it. Now, what I want to know is this.
1. Average and approximately, how many percent is sugar in living organism?
2. Is sugar mostly C6H12O6?
3. Are there any other sugar compound?

Thank you very much
My line of questionings will lead to how much methane (CH4) that we can get from organic waste, but I'd like to know some basic facts before I ask my main question.

Dry organic waste is going to be mostly carbon.

1. What is the percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms?

The percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms can vary depending on the specific organism and its environment. However, on average, hydrocarbons make up about 10% of an organism's total weight.

2. Why are hydrocarbons important in living organisms?

Hydrocarbons play a crucial role in the structure and function of living organisms. They make up the cell membranes, which are essential for maintaining the integrity and function of cells. Hydrocarbons are also a major component of lipids, which are important for energy storage, insulation, and protection.

3. How do living organisms obtain hydrocarbons?

Living organisms obtain hydrocarbons through various means. Many plants and algae produce hydrocarbons through photosynthesis, while animals obtain them through their diet. Microorganisms can also produce hydrocarbons through various biochemical processes.

4. Are all hydrocarbons in living organisms the same?

No, not all hydrocarbons in living organisms are the same. Hydrocarbons can vary in size, structure, and function. For example, some hydrocarbons in organisms are long chains of carbon atoms, while others are rings. Some are involved in energy storage, while others are important for signaling and communication within the body.

5. Can the percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms change over time?

Yes, the percentage of hydrocarbons in living organisms can change over time. This can be influenced by various factors such as diet, environment, and physiological changes. For example, during times of high energy demand, an organism may increase its hydrocarbon content for energy storage.