How much power is needed to steer tires?

In summary, the student is trying to design a car with a simple front rack-and-pinion steering system. He is having trouble finding the right motor for the job, and is also having trouble with the equations for the system. He asks for help, and is given a summary of the various equations and concepts involved. He also asks how to turn the wheels while stationary, and is told that it would require more power than turning the wheels while moving. Finally, he is told that it would be possible to find the power needed by measuring the torque and angular velocity required at the motor, and applying a safety factor.
qpham26

Homework Statement

I am trying to design a car with simple front rack-and-pinion steering system.
Exactly like this one

I am having trouble find the right motor for the job, assuming typical tire of regular car and the car weight 1ton (included everything)
The shape will be simple rectangular
Assume everything is given like μs, R of wheel

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't deal with this subject for a very long time and especially this particular problem isn't similar to the things I have dealt with.
I was able to find out the drive power needed for the rear axle but for the steering I couldn't go very far and I have tried asking my professor but he said he hadn't teach this stuff for decade so he couldn't help me as well.

Please help me.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Back of envelope:

taking power as work over time...
##P=\tau_{app}\theta/\Delta t##

##\Delta t## is the amount of time you want the wheel to rotate in... you'd think of it as a steering response.

The minimum applied torque at the tires would be just that needed to overcome friction ... ##\tau_{min}=\mu Mg##

If you are using BTC steering like the video - you'll need to account for the resistance of the return mechanism.

There will be some wrinkles depending on the exact setup - and I'm sure the engineers here will have some advise too - but you should be able to figure it from there.

Simon Bridge said:
Back of envelope:

taking power as work over time...
##P=\tau_{app}\theta/\Delta t##

##\Delta t## is the amount of time you want the wheel to rotate in... you'd think of it as a steering response.

The minimum applied torque at the tires would be just that needed to overcome friction ... ##\tau_{min}=\mu Mg##

If you are using BTC steering like the video - you'll need to account for the resistance of the return mechanism.

There will be some wrinkles depending on the exact setup - and I'm sure the engineers here will have some advise too - but you should be able to figure it from there.

I just want it to turn, returning isn't necessary.
and I don't get the way you expressed power. since I don't have any idea about the amount of time i want it to rotate. I just want it to be able to turn and stay turned is fine to me.

would it be possible to find the force to over come the static friction and use it to find out the torque or power from the motor?
and how would I do something like that?

thanks.

Are you trying to turn the wheels while stationary or only when moving?

If you are actually building it then I'd measure the torque required, then knowing the speed at which you want the wheels to move you can calculate the power.

If not then you would need to calculate/estimate the frictional forces. Will be tricky but not impossible. You could probably work out the frictional forces properly but I would cheat...

Basically you have a contact patch under type. Let's say it's a rectangular patch of length L. I would calculate the force required to drag the whole wheel sideways (that's independant of contact area) then assume the force acts at say L/2 from the pivot when the wheels are turned. That should give a conservative answer for the torque at the wheel.

Then use whatever gearing you have to work out the torque and speed required at the motor. Perhaps assume lock to lock neds to be a few seconds?

Once you have the rpm at the motor convert it to angular velocity (radians/second).

Then multiple torque & angular velocity to give the power required.

Perhaps apply a safety factor of say 2?

Last edited:
qpham26 said:
and I don't get the way you expressed power. since I don't have any idea about the amount of time i want it to rotate. I just want it to be able to turn and stay turned is fine to me.
The wheel won't turn instantly - it takes some time to change angles. You need to know how fast you want this to be.

If you choose a slow time, then you save power, but the steering will feel sluggish.
Of course - you could see how auto manufacturers do power steering.

The others have covered the rest so I won't repeat it here.

PS. If the professor can't help he won't know if the answer is wrong :-)

would the power needed to turn the wheels while stationary be greater than while moving?
of so than using the motor with that much power would be fine.

CWatters said:
PS. If the professor can't help he won't know if the answer is wrong :-)

that is what I was thinking. That is why I am trying to do this as simple as possible xD

qpham26 said:
would the power needed to turn the wheels while stationary be greater than while moving?
of so than using the motor with that much power would be fine.

Yes. It's much easier to steer when moving. This was very obvious before full size cars had power steering.

1. How is power needed to steer tires measured?

The power needed to steer tires is typically measured in units of horsepower or kilowatts. This measures the amount of energy required to turn the wheels and steer the vehicle.

2. Does the type of vehicle affect the amount of power needed to steer tires?

Yes, the type of vehicle can greatly affect the amount of power needed to steer tires. Larger, heavier vehicles such as trucks and SUVs will require more power to steer compared to smaller, lighter vehicles like sedans.

3. What factors influence the amount of power needed to steer tires?

The main factors that influence the amount of power needed to steer tires include the weight and size of the vehicle, the type of steering system (power-assisted or manual), the type and condition of the tires, and the road conditions.

4. Is the power needed to steer tires the same for all types of steering systems?

No, the power needed to steer tires can vary depending on the type of steering system. Vehicles with power-assisted steering will require less power to steer compared to those with manual steering.

5. Can the power needed to steer tires be reduced?

Yes, the power needed to steer tires can be reduced by ensuring proper tire pressure and alignment, using high-quality and well-maintained tires, and keeping the vehicle's weight at a reasonable level. Additionally, using a more efficient steering system and driving on smooth roads can also help reduce the power needed to steer tires.