How much trigonometry is used in high level math?

• Courses
  • Thread starter ScienceMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, trigonometry is an essential tool in calculus, statistics, and other advanced math courses. It is important to have a solid understanding of trigonometric functions and identities in order to succeed in these courses. However, with practice and experience, trigonometry will become second nature.
ScienceMan
Hi all. I'm a liberal arts graduate looking to enter a statistics masters program (in case it matters). I'm retaking some lower level courses to prove I can do math I wanted to know how much trig is used in Calc II and beyond. I didn't do great in that class (I'm going to retake it) and when I took Calc I I didn't need to know much trig. They just taught us to take the derivatives of the trig functions and honestly I probably didn't even need the right triangle trig you learn in high school algebra or physics. The fact I had no idea how to do identities or anything beyond knowing sine, cosine, and tangent didn't harm me at all. Does that change after Calc I?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceMan said:
Hi all. I'm a liberal arts graduate looking to enter a statistics masters program (in case it matters). I'm retaking some lower level courses to prove I can do math I wanted to know how much trig is used in Calc II and beyond. I didn't do great in that class (I'm going to retake it) and when I took Calc I I didn't need to know much trig. They just taught us to take the derivatives of the trig functions and honestly I probably didn't even need the right triangle trig you learn in high school algebra or physics. The fact I had no idea how to do identities or anything beyond knowing sine, cosine, and tangent didn't harm me at all. Does that change after Calc I?
Trig functions are probably of less interest in Calc and Statistics. On the other hand, one simply expects the fundamental formulas and meanings to be known, as basic multiplications should be known. E.g. the scalar or dot product is important and has to do with angles. These basics, however, can easily be looked up on Wikipedia (if there is time for it). And on concepts like Fourier transformations and / or integrals of trig functions, it is convenient to have the standards at hand without to have them looked up. It's with all the basics: nobody will ask you to learn them, it's assumed that you already have. To draw a line between standard knowledge and exotic formulas is difficult by nature. So to have a read on the sine, cosine and tangent pages on Wikipedia is likely a good idea. If you don't understand them, you could ask specific questions here, but to hope for a general answer "not important at all" would do you no favor.

ScienceMan said:
You need to review Trigonometry very thoroughly because Calculus II and III use ALL of what you studied already from your Trigonometry course.

fresh_42 said:
Trig functions are probably of less interest in Calc and Statistics.
I agree with this statement with regard to statistics, but disagree in regard to calculus. Some of the first differentiation formulas one typically learns are the formulas for the derivatives of sin(x), cos(x), tan(x), and the other three, as well as the derivatives of the inverse trig functions. Later, in the study of integrals, trig substitutions are an important tool in evaluating integrals such as ##\int \sqrt{x^2 + 4} dx## and the like. And then when you study infinite series, there are the Maclaurin series for sin(x) and cos(x) and others. In the study of Fourier series, you're looking at sums of terms like sin(nx) and cos(nx).

In summary, I would say that trig gets used a lot in calculus, but much less or not at all in statistics.

Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
You need to review Trigonometry very thoroughly because Calculus II and III use ALL of what you studied already from your Trigonometry course.

And LA, ODE's, PDE's, it never really goes away. I wouldn't let not doing the greatest in trig deter me from carrying on though. Eventually you'll use trig functions so much they become second nature.

1. How much trigonometry is typically used in calculus?

Trigonometry is a fundamental part of calculus. It is used extensively in topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. In fact, many calculus problems cannot be solved without a good understanding of trigonometric functions and identities.

2. Is trigonometry used in other areas of high level math besides calculus?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various fields of high level math, such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. It is also commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and solve real-world problems.

3. Do I need to have a strong foundation in trigonometry to succeed in high level math courses?

Having a solid understanding of trigonometry is crucial for success in high level math courses. Many concepts and techniques in advanced math build upon trigonometric principles, so it is important to have a strong foundation in this subject.

4. Can I use a calculator for trigonometry in high level math?

In many cases, a calculator can be a useful tool for trigonometry in high level math. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and be able to solve problems without relying solely on a calculator.

5. Are there any specific trigonometric functions that are more commonly used in high level math?

The three most commonly used trigonometric functions in high level math are sine, cosine, and tangent. However, other functions such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent may also be used depending on the context of the problem.